Blu-Ray poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will you get a Blu Ray player?

• Yes, I will buy one.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • No, I will not get one.

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • I have Playstation 3.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • I have a stand-alone player.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • I am waiting to see if Blu-Ray will stick around.

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
I voted "no" when this thread began. If I hadn't purchased a PS3, I never would've purchased Blu-Rays, but I couldn't not take advantage of Wal-Mart's $5 sale on Friday, so I've (through my mother letting me select my Christmas presents) now got about 6 or 7 blu-ray films, including The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly which I'm very excited to own (well, that one was $10). Now to wait for Christmas.

I only have a 32" 720p Samsung HDTV thats more than 3 years old now. It still holds up well : ). Bought at Fry's when i lived in Dallas same as my PS3. Tbh i can notice the change from upscaled DVD and a Blu-Ray on the PS3. Or it sucks on upscaling DVD's?

Getting this TV makes Blu Rays look a little bit better:

Amazon.com: Hitachi L42S504 LCD HDTV 1080p with 120Hz: Electronics

Sams Club had it for 490. Steal of the year.

I actually lived in Hitachi in Japan. It's an actual city, and essentially everyone who lives there works for the company. It's also somewhat near a nuclear power plant that periodically has some "hiccups" every few years. Good times.

The Deadwood Complete Series on Blu-Ray arrived right before I left for the holidays. Threw it in last night, looks phenomenal. I know how 36 hours of my life will be spent the next month or so. :wink:

^ 120Hz? Haven't seen them. Don't think they bother in the Aus market. LCD's then generally only do 50, 100 or 200.

Surprising a 120Hz would give better perf. than a 200? I have a Samsung series 7 46" 200Hz LED-LCD. Refresh rate on the 200Hz is incredible, and the colours are so vivid and the image is so sharp and clearly defined. I find other brands don't get the balance right (ie Sharp tend to do the colours really well, but the picture isn't quite as... sharp..., Panasonic are the opposite, clear definition, washed colours).

Don't see too much of hitachi our way either. The reviews seem quite good though!

I got my Blu-Ray player when i had my older tv (42" 720p Samsung series 4), and it was still a 1000% improvement on the dvd. The new TV just makes it pop. The smoothness of motion, it genuinely looks BETTER than real life.

Back
Top Bottom