Blu-Ray poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will you get a Blu Ray player?

• Yes, I will buy one.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • No, I will not get one.

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • I have Playstation 3.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • I have a stand-alone player.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • I am waiting to see if Blu-Ray will stick around.

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
It'll stick around but I'm waiting until they drop to $100 or get a PS3. I don't watch enough movies for it to really benefit me.

Sick Blu-Ray deals this weekend.

Cheap Magnavox player at Wal-Mart for $78.

Basic Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung models all over for $149.

And the prices for some titles are ridiculous today at places like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Amazon. You can get Harry Potter movies for only $10 each. Unreal.

I went to Costco on Black Friday for an iPod and and GPS that they had coupons for. They had a $35 coupon for a Sony Blu Ray player (it would have been less than $149 with the coupon)..I wished I could have gotten it but no dice. Yes I just read on Yahoo that Amazon and others have good deals on Blu Ray discs today.

Make sure to do your research beforehand on any of the massively discounted Blu-Ray players floating around this holiday, as I know one of the Sony models that seems to be on sale everywhere has numerous problems with it. Amazon user reviews are a huge help.

Panasonic and Samsung are the best bets.

I got a Panasonic at Costco with a $50.00 coupon. The regular price is 180 so I got it for 130. Since the upscaling ones like the one I got at Costco back in March for around 90 something are now about 50 or 60 at Costco I definitely could have waited for the price on Blu Ray players to come down there, but it seemed like a good deal. Best Buy had a Panasonic advertised yesterday on sale for 160-not the same model but the regular price is 200. I won't use the BD live and I don't know about the firmware updates. I was only able to use it a bit over the weekend but so far I like it. I got the Public Enemies Blu Ray disc and all of the features are pretty overwhelming but I just checked out some of them-and the picture did look beautiful.

Picked up the Samsung P-1590 at Sam's today for like $140. Comes with BD-Live and Netflix, so that's a bingo!

tumblr_kpexs7e8xS1qztl8ao1_400.gif

Just got The Dark Knight, There Will Be Blood, and Blade Runner. Looking to get Young Frankenstein, Fight Club, Big Trouble, Star Trek, and Inglourious Basterds next. Any other suggestions?

Great choices! That reminds me that I still haven't watched my copies of Blade Runner and Young Frank on Blu-Ray.

No Country For Old Men and Sin City both look amazing in Blu-Ray, if you're a fanny of those. It's almost become cliché, but the Planet Earth series really is a great "show off" piece for Blu-Ray. It's the one thing that has instantly wowed everyone I've showed it to. It's much more affordable now too, about $40 or so I believe.

I just picked up Blade Runner the other week, but the final cut on Disc 1 was the workprint. I had to do a return, and the same thing happened. So make sure you really got the new final cut on Disc 1, LMP.

I wasn't going to do another return, as I guess this problem was quite common. So I called Warners directly and they are mailing me the final cut disc directly. Huzzah!

As for recommendations, you can't go wrong with the obvious Pixar selections like Wall-E and Up. Just amazing. And I hear that Star Trek is awesome; that one is coming for Christmas.

Hmmm, I better check that. Does it say "Work Print" obviously, at the first?

Great choices! That reminds me that I still haven't watched my copies of Blade Runner and Young Frank on Blu-Ray.

No Country For Old Men and Sin City both look amazing in Blu-Ray, if you're a fanny of those. It's almost become cliché, but the Planet Earth series really is a great "show off" piece for Blu-Ray. It's the one thing that has instantly wowed everyone I've showed it to. It's much more affordable now too, about $40 or so I believe.

I almost picked up No Country today; I probably will in the future. Sin City would look great, as would Watchmen, I'm assuming. Thanks.

I just picked up Blade Runner the other week, but the final cut on Disc 1 was the workprint. I had to do a return, and the same thing happened. So make sure you really got the new final cut on Disc 1, LMP.

I wasn't going to do another return, as I guess this problem was quite common. So I called Warners directly and they are mailing me the final cut disc directly. Huzzah!

As for recommendations, you can't go wrong with the obvious Pixar selections like Wall-E and Up. Just amazing. And I hear that Star Trek is awesome; that one is coming for Christmas.

I just tested it and it's definitely the Final Cut, thanks for the head's up though. I probably will get Wall-E out of those two, or maybe Pinocchio or something. Too bad The Incredibles isn't on Blu yet.

I've heard amazing things about Trek.

Hmmm, I better check that. Does it say "Work Print" obviously, at the first?

It actually starts playing the movie right away and bypasses the main menu.

I was sitting there watching it begin and was like, this can't be it. As nice as it is to have the workprint, the video quality is very obviously not as good. When I hit the menu button, I noticed Ridley Scott's introduction, clicked on it, and it was for the workprint. I then put in Disc 5, which is where the workprint is supposed to be, and it was the same thing.

Wow, really glad you said something, after checking, I definitely have the Workprint as Disc 1 as well.

Humorously, when I bought the Blu-Ray, I remember sticking it in and mentioning in the Random Movie thread how poor the special effects looked at the beginning of the movie. No wonder, it as the work print!

Time to contact their Customer Service as well.

I almost picked up No Country today; I probably will in the future. Sin City would look great, as would Watchmen, I'm assuming. Thanks.

Which reminds me that I still haven't watched my copy of Watchmen on Blu-Ray yet either......

Blu-Ray.com pretty much acted as if Star Trek is the best Blu-Ray available, and a must for all Blu-Ray owners. I'll probably have to get that as well.

I can't get online. Gateway Ping can go fuck itself. Has anyone had this problem before?

I'll power-cycle tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, I'll call Samsung Customer Service.

In the meantime, Blade Runner is beyond gorgeous.

My replacement Disc 1 for Blade Runner arrived yesterday.

All I can say is wow.

After getting the run around repeatedly with their customer service emails, I need to just call the number. Do I need the little ID number on the disc or anything like that?

I wasn't asked for it. I explained the problem and they didn't act surprised at all, as it has happened quite frequently I guess. They just asked for my address and said it would be a couple of weeks, which it was.

Speaking of "holy shit" moments, I borrowed my friend's copy of Star Trek on Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray.com was right, visually that's definitely a showpiece for the format if there ever was one. I'll have to pick it up. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly should be waiting for me on my porch right now. Yayz.

My Disc 1 replacement for Blade Runner arrived yesterday. I can now agree with the rest of you that it looks frigging amazing (from the few minutes I put it in to compare). Hopefully will watch it in full tonight or tomorrow.

Also......despite the obvious lameness of the movie.....Speed Racer visuals are stunning in Blu-Ray. If I ever see it cheap, I'd consider buying it just as a "show off" type movie for when people come over.

Back
Top Bottom