Blu-Ray poll - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Will you get a Blu Ray player?
Yes, I will buy one. 9 18.37%
No, I will not get one. 14 28.57%
I have Playstation 3. 16 32.65%
I have a stand-alone player. 8 16.33%
I am waiting to see if Blu-Ray will stick around. 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Plus, Blu Rays pack like 30-40 GBs of material onto one disc, and renting an HD movie from the 360 marketplace is like 4-5 GB. It took me, with a pretty solid cable/DSL connection, about 15 hours to download the entire movie before I could watch it.

We're still a ways off.

I'd love to own a player at some point, but I'm in the 720 zone and don't have the funds to start buying/rebuying movies at this time. Not that it's ever going to replace 35 mm, but older films restored to high-def look as close to film-quality as possible.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
The day will come at some point, no doubt, but for the bandwidth needed, it will still be a few years down the road.

And even then, I don't see Blu-Ray falling away, at least not immediately. Film buffs like to have physical copies of their movies; they should still have a niche in the market even after downloading comes of age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Plus, Blu Rays pack like 30-40 GBs of material onto one disc, and renting an HD movie from the 360 marketplace is like 4-5 GB. It took me, with a pretty solid cable/DSL connection, about 15 hours to download the entire movie before I could watch it.

We're still a ways off.

I'd love to own a player at some point, but I'm in the 720 zone and don't have the funds to start buying/rebuying movies at this time. Not that it's ever going to replace 35 mm, but older films restored to high-def look as close to film-quality as possible.
Oh, no doubt we are several years out from full Blu Ray-size downloads.
But, aren't we at 64GB for solid state memory? I can envision a "Red Box" type of movie vending machine that you just bring your memory card to, transfer the 40GB movie, bring it home, put it on the HD on your PS3 or computer, or DVR and watch it. Or something like that. I've had my entertainment center running through a laptop for a couple of years now.

I think we are closer than we even realize, and I'm willing to watch my movies (I've got TOO MANY dvds) in 720 format until we get there.

Also, I'm certainly someone who loves to own the physical movies and music, but I've had to readjust what "physical" ownership means now. I don't have space for all of my CDs, so I've gotten rid of most (ripped them as lossless copies of course, first), and soon I won't have space for my dvds either.

Mark

Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 12:23 PM
Quote:
It took me 2-3 hours to download 12 Rounds Extreme Cut from the PlayStation Store which was 5-6 GB on my Qwest DSL connection. Think you need to upgrade your internet speed somehow.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #19
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

My internet speed is fine, but I have this wonky connection to the 360 Marketplace. Pipecleaners and aluminum foil may or may not be involved.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:23 AM
Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to get a Blu Ray player for a 720p TV?

And if so what's the best brand?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Yes.

While Blu-Ray is higher quality than 720p, watching it at that level is still a major upgrade from DVD.

There are several good brands. I have a Panasonic, which is generally well-regarded. Samsung and Sony also makes good ones.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks

It's the price of Blu Ray discs too, but maybe that will eventually come down. I guess you can get some good sale prices sometimes. I just got a Blu Ray/standard DVD combo pack and it was so frustrating that all of the extras were only on the Blu Ray, and very good extras at that. It seems as if you can get a decent player now for 200 or less, so maybe it's worth it. I have an upconverting player now and I like that too, it's not like I'm some sort of fanatic about the picture ( I think the upconvert looks fine) but it's the extras too.

I have a Sharp Aquos tv and they do make a Sharp Aquos Blu Ray player
Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #23
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
It's the price of Blu Ray discs too, but maybe that will eventually come down. I guess you can get some good sale prices sometimes. I just got a Blu Ray/standard DVD combo pack and it was so frustrating that all of the extras were only on the Blu Ray, and very good extras at that. It seems as if you can get a decent player now for 200 or less, so maybe it's worth it. I have an upconverting player now and I like that too, it's not like I'm some sort of fanatic about the picture ( I think the upconvert looks fine) but it's the extras too.
Ugh. Putting the DVD extras only on the Blu Ray disc? The industry's backdoor way of getting us to all buy this generation of technology. It figures.

I stand by my original post. I'm going to try to bypass this generation.

Mark
Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Thanks

I have a Sharp Aquos tv and they do make a Sharp Aquos Blu Ray player
If you wait another month or so, the prices should fall even more with the onset of the holiday season.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to get a Blu Ray player for a 720p TV?

And if so what's the best brand?
Hard to say which one is the best.
The Samsung SD1600 is pretty good and it contains good extra features, such as Pandora access. Nice remote too.

However, the PS3 slim version that just came out for $299 should be a good option, plus you get a gaming device as well. Not sure if you are looking for that, but since the unit is typically "faster" then other Blu Ray players, I would probably choose that one.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

No, I'm not into video games at all.

Good point phanan that the deals will be there for the holiday season- I am getting an iPod for Christmas from my mother so I can't ask her for a Blu Ray too-unfortunately And I can't justify spending that kind of money on myself at Christmastime, so maybe some time next year. As long as Blu Ray won't become obsolete or require a new or better player any time soon, like every other tech thing I buy.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #27
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Getting an upconvert DVD player for a 720 TV is more cost effective and still gives you a sizable upgrade. You can get a decent player for around $70 at Sam's or Best Buy, too.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #28
has a

Quote:
Getting an upconvert DVD player for a 720 TV is more cost effective and still gives you a sizable upgrade. You can get a decent player for around $70 at Sam's or Best Buy, too.
That's my rationale.
I have a nice 32" 720p Samsung and a Sony 5-DVD upconverter. Until I decide to go bigger and 1080p and then get a bigger house to really enjoy it in, my picture is beautiful.

M
Old 10-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 08:23 AM
The first generation of Bluray players did not have internet connectivity, so a lot of people are dumping their first-gen players to updrade to BD Live. I saw a Samsung one at Goodwill the other day.

You can get a used Bluray player for under $100 and it will upconvert DVDs to 720p as well.

FWIW, my TV is a 34" Sony, and there is still a fairly dramatic difference between Bluray and upconverted DVD.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:23 AM
That would be a Wega flat tube, right?