Bioshock Infinite. Infinite Fun. Infinite Discussion. Infinite Boners Over the Game.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CameraZOOM-20130520191119371.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130520191225287.jpg

The artbook is excellent and details a lot of the changes the game went through since it's inception and the stuff that was ultimately cut.

I forgot about the deal yesterday and didn't get it. Was mad at myself this morning.

Anyone know what this DLC stuff might be?

They're saying it will all be story based, but nothing much else beyond that. Ken Levine said it will be a "love letter to fans".
I signed up for the Season Pass.

Also, I totally never collect this kind of thing, but I thought this was so cool that I bought one

George+Bioshock+Infinite+George+Washington+Heavy+Hitter+Patriot.jpg

No idea what I'm going to do with it....

If you don't fucking tell me what you thought of Into Darkness, I might just knock you unconscious and drop your ass off in the Canadian wilderness.

Picked up the Bioshock combo pack for $25. Once I'm finished with those Infinite will be on eBay for like 20 bucks. Thanks to LTJ I already owned the first one but Ashley's laptop has seen better days.

Picked up the Bioshock combo pack for $25. Once I'm finished with those Infinite will be on eBay for like 20 bucks. Thanks to LTJ I already owned the first one but Ashley's laptop has seen better days.

:up::up: Enjoy! They're awesome

:love:

Bioshock 1 is treating me very, very well btw. Infinite fun indeed, and tremendous atmosphere.

Startin' up the ole' Bioshock Infinite a second time. So far I've made sure to explore the opening street fair more, since the first time I played I skipped through a bit not sure if that would be like an open-world hub. HAH.

Q: after using Possession for the first time, you pass by a statute of Rosalind Lutece with lightning sparks briefly swirling around the head. There was a "press __ to look at it" prompt that I missed. Was it changing from Robert to Rosalind?

Disliked Bioshock, quit after about 2 hours or so despite trying to play the PS3 version after beating Infinite. I really just wasn't buying into anything. Maybe it was the regenerating enemies.

Turned up the difficulty on Infinite to hard after my second playthrough on normal when I killed my first Crow-man in about 4 seconds. That's just disrespectful to everything they stand for.

Also had a fun bug escaping from Monument Island, where I dodged the Songbird on the skylines and then shot straight through the Battleship Bay water into the skybox below. For 5 seconds or so I tried to think how this fit into the story, but then I kept falling, and then eventually died and had to restart the checkpoint.

There's a lovely extended peninsula shape that Columbia is apparently floating over.

Does anyone else find those moments a bit unsettling? I get this feeling when in spectator mode in TF2/Counterstrike when the "box" you can move in is much much larger than the actual level itself.

If I don't know you by now, I will never never never know you

oooooooOOOooooo

Hey! So, it’s been a month or so since I finished Infinite for a second time and wanted to get some things down in writing before I forget them entirely. This should be a transition sentence, but I can’t think of anything. So first, the middle stretch starting about when you first meet Daisy is a bit blah. After Booker and Elizabeth get on the airship for the first time, the dialogue is basically a literal version of what I imagine the story outline said: “Elizabeth discovers Booker is steering toward New York, instead of Paris. She feels betrayed”. About what we get:

Elizabeth: “I’m so happy-hey wait, those coordinates are for New York, not Paris!”

Booker: “……uhhhhh.”

Elizabeth: “I never should have trusted you!”

And I’m sort of left feeling like, shouldn’t there have been human dialogue there? Some back and forth, Booker comes up with a lie that is eventually dismantled? We soon transition to Daisy Fitzroy, whose depiction I thought was problematic the first time through, and I’m still left feeling like the studio transformed her into an simpler caricature (= Comstock) when they realized they didn't have enough time left before launch to flesh out her story with Booker (what we hear hinted at when she tries to kill our Booker). By the end of her story, Daisy is smeared with blood and threatening a child! The game is really teeing up your villains for you.

Second, the “arenas” with Skyrails and open areas to navigate through felt like a missed chance for Infinite to distinguish itself. The AI was often pretty static; I recall sitting behind a wall for about 3 minutes while a rocketeer standing on a barge fired at me while never trying to fly around to a better angle. I think the Z-axis is an underrated idea a lot of game developers still have trouble trying to integrate into a 3-D space, and I loved the drop-shoot-jump-skate away freedom that the Skyrails give you to attack from multiple directions, so it’s all the more disappointing in the moments when Infinite sort of waved its hands and thought “well that’s good enough”.

The times Infinite breaks out from that box are often still frustrating. The Handymen encounters are a good example; I remember in particular the final area in Finkton before Fitzroy as an open area with a lot of attractive summonable items and weapons stored around, only for the Handymen’s +100 Death Melee Attack to force me into almost never leaving the skyrail and attacking with potshots from far away. Because that attack is paired with the Handyman’s ability to jump very far, as well as skyrail anywhere, walking around on solid ground was death and I ended up playing a more desperate style more reminiscent of Skyrim where I didn’t mind sniping to death boss characters from a room and a half away. That’s fine with Skyrim because the whole game is meant to be broken and rebuilt in your own image, but when presented in Infinite with this problem in an area with so many attractive summonable items in open space I couldn’t figure out how to use, I was left annoyed with myself instead of feeling free and opportunistic. There must have been a way to use that Tesla Coil! What didn’t help was how your deaths wouldn’t reset your progress. I kind of get the narrative resonance there, but it still left a few encounters on both playthroughs where I quite clearly made a mistake but ended up “winning” merely by throwing at myself at the enemy for long enough. It kind of breaks the “enemy as puzzle” dynamic to retain your success and not punish failure in that way.

All that said, there is one area in particular that I want to call out for praise, which is the “arena” right before your climactic encounter with Comstock on the airship. That room design really steered into the benefits of the Handymen’s design by giving you a tight donut-shaped room with many elevated platforms to jump around on. That congested everything to the point where you could start using cooler tactical ideas like summoning turrets and luring the Handyman into its range of fire.

This was crafted to be a negative post. Boo, negativity! Whining, complaining. But it’s not meant to be balanced; where what I think Infinite gets right in the fundamentals of atmosphere and play ends up giving it a 3/5 or 4. I think it’s good, and I think I see how it could have been better.

Back
Top Bottom