Best way of cleaning your keyboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedRocksU2

Blue Crack Addict
I heard that some people place them in their dishwasher?:| :huh:

The one here at work needs some attention :yuck:

Any ideas are appreciated.
thankya

Haha, I was going to say dishwasher.

I usually wipe the keys really well with LCD wipes, then spray the thing out. We have super compressed air in our Shop. The canned stuff will work if that's all you've got.

I was getting ready to give my old computer back to my parents, and the keyboard was atrocious. I couldn't give it back to them letting them think I lived in filth, so I gave it a good cleaning. I popped all of the keys off and individually wiped them with wet paper towel. Then I shook the keyboard out and use a vacuum attachment to suck anything else out.

That took a lot of time, but it was worth it. :up:

You could just take out sections of keys at a time, but if you really want to clean out under them all really well, it's best to have them all off. Make sure you lay them down somewhere where they are all lined up in order though, so you don't get confused trying to pop them back on...or take a picture of it beforehand that you can refer to.

Bonochick said:
Make sure you lay them down somewhere where they are all lined up in order though, so you don't get confused trying to pop them back on...or take a picture of it beforehand that you can refer to.

this is a work computer right? I say put them all back randomly to mess with your co-workers...

elevated_u2_fan said:

this is a work computer right? I say put them all back randomly to mess with your co-workers...

LOL, but if you're good at typing, it wouldn't really matter since it doesn't matter what label is on the key, as long as you don't have to watch your hands while you type.

:nerd:

:yuck: Keyboards are officially the most disgusting things there are... most bacteriae of all things, even worse than a toilet!

:wink: my advice would be, throw it away and buy a new one!

:hmm: yeah, I'll prob do that...

it's getting out of control!

nasty_keyboard.jpg

MooMoo! said:
I need to somehow clean my laptop keyboard but I dont know if you can take it out. :/

Depends on the model, but usually it can be accomplished with removing a certain few screws from the bottom, prying off the piece of plastic above the keyboard, and sliding it out.

Well its an Acer aspire. any ideas?

The left click is also very loose, Ill have to eventually open it and have a fiddle to see if i can fix it.

Theres no danger of simply opening it is there? Im a little worried about taking the battery out for a long time.

You can have the battery out for as long as you want. My old laptop never had a battery in it b/c it only lasted 5 minutes so it was dead weight.

MooMoo! said:
Well, tried to unscrew it and the 2 halves wouldnt seperate. T_T

Usually there's 1-3 screws on the bottom that go in/through the keyboard so they need to be removed. Then usually the top plate across the top of the laptop (where the hotbuttons are) gets pried off. Most of the models I've worked on, you seriously just pry it off. Then the keyboard slides out. I've never seen the case actually come apart to get the keyboard off, but I usually only work on Dells and Lenovos...

anitram said:
How are the Lenovos, in your opinion?

They're actually damn sturdy computers, ugly as heck and can be on the heavy side, but given the crap our people put them through, they are decent. However, I understand the entire company moved to Asia and getting consistent/efficient support and servicing has been a pain. I think parts still ship to us within 2 days, but we have to spend hours on the phone to convince them we need the parts, even though we are certified to be doing the repairs.

I believe we are slowly switching to high end Dell Latitudes and have a number of people using Macs, which are now convenient to service b/c we have an Apple store 2 miles away.

IBMs were always really sturdy and really heavy. My Mom has a high end IBM and it must weigh a ton but she's never had any kind of problem with it. I figured the Lenovos might be similar.

Back
Top Bottom