Best DVD Storage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I've been storing my U2 dvd bootlegs in the spindles the blank dvds come in. Now that I'm acquiring more and more, I'm wondering whether I should use another binder. My fear is that the discs will get scratched on the pages---I don't think I've heard about any page that is risk-free when it comes to scratches. However, I imagine that there's a chance the discs could scratch each other in the spindles...right?

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? My first priority is the safety of the discs (gross safety + scratch safety), and my second is portability/ease of storage.

Thanks!

I have my DVDs in binders--no problems yet.
How often do you plan to access the disks?
If it is often, I would think it would be a pain to search through the spindles to find the right one (and risk scratching them) vs. the easing browsing of a binder.

I have mine in a big-ass binder. Since the material the DVDs rest against is soft, I don't see a problem. It's just the label-side that has contact with the harder plastic.

Cool, that's probably what I'll do. You're right, kramwest, I probably do risk scratching them more by filtering through the spindles.

Cori, a few reviews of binders I was looking at on Amazon, such as Case Logic & a few others, mentioned scratches from the little plastic nubbins at the top of each pocket on the fabric side. :shrug: I dunno if it'd really be an issue--they could probably be prevented with careful removal.

Cool, that's probably what I'll do. You're right, kramwest, I probably do risk scratching them more by filtering through the spindles.

Cori, a few reviews of binders I was looking at on Amazon, such as Case Logic & a few others, mentioned scratches from the little plastic nubbins at the top of each pocket on the fabric side. :shrug: I dunno if it'd really be an issue--they could probably be prevented with careful removal.

Yeah, I think the key is to just NOT handle the disks very often regardless of their storage, and when you do, be very careful.

My B-I-L warned me about the pockets, but he probably wasn't very careful about it.

I do move them around a lot, only because when I burn something new, I have to put it in its proper place, which means everything gets shifted.

I need a new system.

They make these small drawer things into which you can drop individual cd/dvd sleeves. I've thought about using one of those, but they're fairly expensive for the number of discs they hold (I've seen around $25-30 for 25-50 discs). Plus, they're not really portable.

A binder system is probably the most reasonable, but I can see it being a pain if I do a lot of burning & have to insert discs into the middle of the set. :sigh: I suppose there is no best way.

Discovering that they made those giant binders that hold several hundred discs was amazing.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's almost full, though. I get pretty obsessive-compulsive about those damned bootleg DVDs. :reject:

They make these small drawer things into which you can drop individual cd/dvd sleeves. I've thought about using one of those, but they're fairly expensive for the number of discs they hold (I've seen around $25-30 for 25-50 discs). Plus, they're not really portable.

A binder system is probably the most reasonable, but I can see it being a pain if I do a lot of burning & have to insert discs into the middle of the set. :sigh: I suppose there is no best way.

Discovering that they made those giant binders that hold several hundred discs was amazing.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's almost full, though. I get pretty obsessive-compulsive about those damned bootleg DVDs. :reject:

I leave spaces throughout the binders and try to just add the DVDs to the gaps or add new pages so I don't have to move the disks as much. I repeat: I try to.

I know, I go through periods of "needing" to download every new one that comes up versus deciding I don't need many at all. There are far too many Vertigo & 360 dvds---with those, I try only to get the really great shows. With U2T doing free downloads of all ZooTV right now, I can't get enough!

I leave spaces throughout the binders and try to just add the DVDs to the gaps or add new pages so I don't have to move the disks as much. I repeat: I try to.

:wink: Good idea. I think I may go the binder route. Any particular preferences?

I'm going to have to start doing that. (Although first I need to buy yet another giant binder.)

I know, I go through periods of "needing" to download every new one that comes up versus deciding I don't need many at all. There are far too many Vertigo & 360 dvds---with those, I try only to get the really great shows. With U2T doing free downloads of all ZooTV right now, I can't get enough!

YES! Me too. A few years ago, I weeded out my collection and gave away a bunch that were of poorer quality. Should have kept them, just for the completist in me. :wink:

I'll download what's available on U2Torrents, but will generally watch a bit of it on the computer first to make sure it's not completely horrible. Anything I would call even just "fair" or "ok," I'll burn. If it's remotely watchable.

Of the Zoo shows that were just thrown at us ( :drool: ), there was only one I ended up not burning.

Back
Top Bottom