Audiophile Opinions on Headphones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't believe I missed this thread to once again plug the virtues of in-ears lol

And since you have indicated you wanted an audiophile opinion, forget all these other suggestions. (ok, just kidding..sortof...)

For the money you are looking to spend, you need to get proper IEMs, and I wouldn't go with Shure, by virtue of the fact that at that price point they are junk (comparitively) and you won't get enough sound isolation to make you feel like your money was well spent.

For anything approaching an audiophile experience you should be starting at least at something with dual drivers, and getting as close to triple or even quad drivers as your pocketbook will allow.

Go Westone or Ultimate Ears. And you want to ensure the fit. The fit will make or break your experience on an airplane, for instance. So much so that if you find you can't get a nice feel, use a custom impression service, get the mold, and then send them the headphones you end up buying. They will rip out the insides and install them into the custom mold they make for you and return.

Your ears will thank you immensely and you will hear the music - at low volumes - better than you ever have..

I also really love my in-ears at the gym. The cord loops up and over my ears down my back inside the shirt and never gets in the way. They never pop out, and I feel like I can truly block out every other distraction. Literally - I mean I can't hear anything else but! lol. I woudn't recommend them for jogging along the road or near railroad tracks tho. You won't hear impending doom like you need to.

Can you give me an approximate idea what these custom IEMs would cost?

I'd have to give it some serious thought before investing in custom fit phones. Will it be something worth investing just for my occasional airplane travel?

And no, I'm not planning on using these outdoors while jogging, or even hiking. Call me paranoid but, I don't like handicapping my sense of hearing while, I'm out and about in a public place. I like to be aware of the surroundings.

I'll check out the Westone and Ultimate Ears.

If IEM's are on the table, I wouldn't even say that you need custom IEMs. Check out Etymotic. Extremely good sound quality, extremely good isolation, all with standard earpieces. Their HF5s are only $130, and are an absolute bargain for the quality of sound they offer. (And if you're so inclined, you can go the custom mold route with them, too)

What source of music are people going to be listening to most of the time that would justify custom-fit IEMs?

It's not so much the quality of the source that you're listening to, although for the record I prefer flac or uncompressed wav myself. It's more about sound isolation, and/or if a set of standard fit IEMs will do the trick for you. Some people's ears don't work well with standard ones.

Also, the number of drivers matters. Single driver are just not going to give the frequency response to get the most out of the music.

Can you give me an approximate idea what these custom IEMs would cost?

I'd have to give it some serious thought before investing in custom fit phones. Will it be something worth investing just for my occasional airplane travel?

And no, I'm not planning on using these outdoors while jogging, or even hiking. Call me paranoid but, I don't like handicapping my sense of hearing while, I'm out and about in a public place. I like to be aware of the surroundings.

I'll check out the Westone and Ultimate Ears.

Ok, I probably did go a bit overboard with the custom fit...but Westone and Ultimate Ears make standard fits that are reasonably priced. You can get a pair of standard fit dual driver Westone for under $300 I believe. You may even be able to get triples for that much now.

One side benefit of standard IEMs over customs is in the little bit of ambient noise they let in. They're very isolating, yes, but not 100%, because generic sized foam can never completely fill the canal. It just can't. So you'll still hear that train coming. In terms of what I use mine for (live musical performance), I find my standards work better in some environments and customs work better in others. In a simple PA situation where I can't get every single instrument piped into my ears, having a bit of bleed-in ambient noise from the rest of the band actually helps. In a situation where there's very good stage monitoring and everyone's mic'd up and I can get a discreet mix of everything, customs are the way to go. But even then, an ambient mic or two is needed to help reduce that alienating feeling of being closed off from everyone.

If IEM's are on the table, I wouldn't even say that you need custom IEMs. Check out Etymotic. Extremely good sound quality, extremely good isolation, all with standard earpieces. Their HF5s are only $130, and are an absolute bargain for the quality of sound they offer. (And if you're so inclined, you can go the custom mold route with them, too)

Etymotic are exactly that: good value for the price you're paying for them. Re-reading what the OP is going for, especially the part about getting them even cheaper if possible, you may be right.

I'm a bit biased..when I buy something I decide my budget and then max out the quality I can get for under that price. So if I had $300 to spend on audiophile level headphones, HF5s wouldn't be on the list, simply because they aren't the best quality for the money I'd be looking to spend.

I agree tho that custom fits are not absolutely necessary. I should have made a better distinction there.

I figured, since I'm looking to spend about $300 I can give myself a few options.

1. Blow it all on one pair of over the ear headphones
2. get a decent pair of over the ear Senns for like $150-$200 and spend the rest of the money on In Ear phones

Well if you spend $200 on over the ears you're not going to get decent in-ear phones, and stay under $300 total.

When I started spending decent $ on earphones, I started with Westone UM2's. They were about $299 back then and now go for around $225 and they come with enough tips to ensure that you'll probably not need to go custom. I still have these 8 years later and they have been through hell and back with me. They also have better bass response than any IEM at this or lower price point. For someone who wanted to spend a bit and wanted great sound, they probably still represent a very good choice. I have no idea if there are better out there for that price but when I researched the Shure and Sennheisers were that price or more and they were only single drivers....and the key was, I had already used both of those brands offerings at the same price, and they sounded horrible. Just crap to my ears.

Which brings us to the final deciding factor: go listen to as many pairs as you can. Let your ears tell you, everyone hears things differently. Use the same device and the same song so all things are equal.

So I managed to test out a couple of headphones over the weekend. I was in a
Best Buy and I saw they had a few headphones displayed.

I tried on the Sennheiser 598s (over the ear)
also the Sennheiser Momentum (over the ear)
PSB (I forget the model) (over the ear)
Beats Pro
Beats Studio

This was my first time trying on the Beats products. And as a first impression, I must say that they don't even come close to the Senns. I mean, they're not even in the same league. I possibly cannot pay $300+ for that product.

The Senns were very nice. and lived up to the reviews I had read.

I am planning on going to another Audio/Video store in a few days and they do have a variety of Sennheiser models as well as other comparable brands, so I will be able to test out quite a few items there.

I just got an email from Amazon with lots of Senns on sale, just FYI.

Cool! Thanks for the Heads Up :up:

I hope the sale continues for a few days because I will actually purchase a pair of headphones only after I have tested out a few more models of Senns.

And since I am about to get a foot or more of snow in the next 24 hours, I will most probably not be able to go out headphone testing until Sat or Sunday latest.

I don't even really see the point of headphones that aren't noise canceling. If you want to listen to your music on the go (especially while riding public transportation), over-the-ear headphones with noise canceling ability are an absolute must. The Bose ones are clearly the best out there in terms of the noise canceling process/sound. I have a decent pair from Able Planet or whatever that were like $90, but if you want to listen to your music on the go with great sound (rather than having to crank them to the nth or hear a lot of outside noise), then Bose's $300 pair are probably the right way to go.

The ear buds I got with my HTC one m8 are such high quality that audiophiles might even be impressed with them.

Sent from my 831C using U2 Interference mobile app

So I managed to test out a couple of headphones over the weekend. I was in a
Best Buy and I saw they had a few headphones displayed.

I tried on the Sennheiser 598s (over the ear)
also the Sennheiser Momentum (over the ear)
PSB (I forget the model) (over the ear)
Beats Pro
Beats Studio

This was my first time trying on the Beats products. And as a first impression, I must say that they don't even come close to the Senns. I mean, they're not even in the same league. I possibly cannot pay $300+ for that product.

The Senns were very nice. and lived up to the reviews I had read.

I am planning on going to another Audio/Video store in a few days and they do have a variety of Sennheiser models as well as other comparable brands, so I will be able to test out quite a few items there.

Now that Apple has bought Beats (maybe) the headphones will be improved! I tried Beats and took them right back, they sounded like crap.

I don't even really see the point of headphones that aren't noise canceling. If you want to listen to your music on the go (especially while riding public transportation), over-the-ear headphones with noise canceling ability are an absolute must. The Bose ones are clearly the best out there in terms of the noise canceling process/sound. I have a decent pair from Able Planet or whatever that were like $90, but if you want to listen to your music on the go with great sound (rather than having to crank them to the nth or hear a lot of outside noise), then Bose's $300 pair are probably the right way to go.

Sound isolating >>>> noise cancelling

By a fair bit IMO

Yeah, noise canceling actually affects the waveform itself. Sound isolation doesn't introduce any artifacts and blocks out noise naturally. Sound isolation >>>>>>

One method that also seems to work really well is making a small incision on your ear's foreskin, about 1mm from your eardrum. I tried this method and noticed that bass levels are much higher.

One method that also seems to work really well is making a small incision on your ear's foreskin, about 1mm from your eardrum. I tried this method and noticed that bass levels are much higher.

I agree, everyone should circumcise their ears. The gods of music will not admit you into their rock heaven if you don't undergo the proper ordinances (ear circumcision, head-banging baptism, attending a weekly organized skanking, etc.) while alive on Earth.

Back
Top Bottom