Audiophile Opinions on Headphones - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Whenever my Aviators finally break beyond repair (they have a "lifetime warranty" but that only covers technical problems) I'll upgrade to Grados /sayingthisforthelast6years.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #17
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:03 PM
Grados

Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
Blue Meth Addict

Grados.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #19
Blue Meth Addict

Grados!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 01-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #21
The Male

I love my HD 280 Pro Sennheisers. They're extremely comfortable, the noise bleed is negligible when fully closed and the bass is outstanding, with a better balance than Beats. They also retail for a lot less.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #22
War Child

Location: Earth, Local Interstellar Cloud, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster Galaxies, The Universe
Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
To be honest, I don't think Beats really qualify as audiophile. Sorry, cobs. [/snob]

I own Sennheiser HD-595s that I love. Super comfy and really nice, balanced and detailed sound. I think the most current version is the 598 - which you can find for under $200. I also have a pair of Grado SR-225i's that are great for rock music (more up-front presentation), but they're not nearly as comfortable as the Sennheisers since the Grado's rest on the ear instead of over it. I wear glasses, and after a half hour the headphones start to put too much pressure against the glasses for me, and though they are a more involving headphone for rock music, they aren't so much better than the Sennheisers to warrant that loss of comfort (at least for me). If you don't wear glasses you might not have any issues with them, though. The Grados are around the same price as the Sennheisers, too.

I guess I should ask what you're planning on using these for. If you're just going to be listening around the house, then either the Senns or Grados will be fine. But if you're planning on using them while commuting or out in public, they won't work since they're open backed headphones and will both leak a lot of sound and let outside noise in. In that case you'll need to get sealed/closed headphones.

I too wear glasses so yeah, I would probably have the same issue of the glasses being pressed against my head or ears.

I had read about the Senns not being completly sealed but the reviewers said that because the overall quality was so superior, the noise leaks were a minor issue.

For the most part, I will be using the headphones indoors, or maybe on a flight while traveling. but I am not planning on using them on trains, or on a bus, or even walking around outside.

I will check out the Senn 598s
Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #23
War Child

Location: Earth, Local Interstellar Cloud, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster Galaxies, The Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I love my HD 280 Pro Sennheisers. They're extremely comfortable, the noise bleed is negligible when fully closed and the bass is outstanding, with a better balance than Beats. They also retail for a lot less.

Yeah, the prices on Senneheisers are very attractive. A superior product that costs less. I can't pass up a deal like that.

Are your 280s over the ear headphones?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #24
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I wouldn't recommend wearing open headphones (like the HD598) on a flight - the roar of the engines will be too much, so you'll have to turn the volume up to the point that you're annoying your neighbors and/or damaging your hearing. I've got a pair of Shure in-ear headphones that block out a ton of external noise that I use pretty much exclusively for flights. I'd also check out Etymotic - great isolation and really impressive sound quality.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch but I have been using various Senneheiser Models for years now and have been extremely happy with them.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #26
War Child

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input from everyone.

Now I just have to find the time to go a few stores and try out some of this equipment.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:03 AM   #27
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Grados of War
Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Stick with the go to microphone companies. I use Sennheisers (HD 558) for over the ear, and Shure for IEM (SE 315K). I like the sound quality of Shure's headphones as well, but I can never seem to find a pair that's comfortable, Sennheiser is the best of both worlds.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #29
Ghost of Love

Can't believe I missed this thread to once again plug the virtues of in-ears lol

And since you have indicated you wanted an audiophile opinion, forget all these other suggestions. (ok, just kidding..sortof...)

For the money you are looking to spend, you need to get proper IEMs, and I wouldn't go with Shure, by virtue of the fact that at that price point they are junk (comparitively) and you won't get enough sound isolation to make you feel like your money was well spent.

For anything approaching an audiophile experience you should be starting at least at something with dual drivers, and getting as close to triple or even quad drivers as your pocketbook will allow.

Go Westone or Ultimate Ears. And you want to ensure the fit. The fit will make or break your experience on an airplane, for instance. So much so that if you find you can't get a nice feel, use a custom impression service, get the mold, and then send them the headphones you end up buying. They will rip out the insides and install them into the custom mold they make for you and return.

Your ears will thank you immensely and you will hear the music - at low volumes - better than you ever have..

I also really love my in-ears at the gym. The cord loops up and over my ears down my back inside the shirt and never gets in the way. They never pop out, and I feel like I can truly block out every other distraction. Literally - I mean I can't hear anything else but! lol. I woudn't recommend them for jogging along the road or near railroad tracks tho. You won't hear impending doom like you need to.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:03 AM
What source of music are people going to be listening to most of the time that would justify custom-fit IEMs? Most people listen to at most 320kb/s compressed sources, not worth dropping that kind of cheese for MP3's. If the person asking the question is only listening to lossless, that's a different story.