Are you surfing safari browser????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
on a windows operating system?

There is a beta release.

I primarily use FireFox.

I am thinking of uninstalling Explorer.

I still get random IE pop-ups even though I am using blocker on my Freedom software.

I do run spy ware and anti virus scans often.

So, My question is
should I switch to Safari and uninstall windows I E?

Ha, in the time it took to write this in my FireFox browser,
a Explorer browser window poped open.

Here is the url:
http://ad.oinadserver.com/rw?title=...gs/owner/local%20settings/temp/ndr72.tmp.html

it is just a blank white page

with this:

Advertiisement By Outerinfo

written on the blue bar at the top of the page. :shrug:

I guess the Firefox I am using does not have tabs. I do run mutiple windows all the time. I just mouse down to bottom of screen to click between windows.

I just like to have a back up browser on my desktop, and wonder if I will have problems if I unistall I E. It does seem like there are some things (a few) that only work with IE. More and more are also using Firefox. But I am wondering if..

(crap that same pop up just came up again)

Safari will pick up the slack, because of all the Mac users?

I suppose this could be answered if I paid attention to :

this page or site requires: Windows IE.xx or Firefox. x, or Safari.X version.

So do Safari users still find some sites do not work for them?

and does the Windows Safari software work seamlessly with the Apple Safari applications?

love2bmama said:
I dunno, I downloaded safari but it doesn't look like you can browse w/tabs in it, and I don't want to give up my tabs. Or am I just missing something?

according to their site

you are missing something

they claim tabs - check it out - and speed!!

Blazing performance.
2x Faster

The fastest web browser on any platform, Safari loads pages up to 2 times faster than Internet Explorer 7 and up to 1.6 times faster than Firefox

that damn popup just hit again

(4 times, now.)

not that I am counting

The Safari for Windows is super buggy. I have no reason to switch from FireFox. I also use FireFox on my Mac.

I don't think you can "uninstall" Internet Explorer since it's built into the OS. You can go to Windows Components, deselect it, and run that but I don't think it ever really completely uninstalls. My husband had a bad virus and he still got IE pop-ups even when deactivated IE and only using FireFox. I would try cleaning up the spyware/malware b/c that can still be going damage.

Liesje said:
The Safari for Windows is super buggy. I have no reason to switch from FireFox. I also use FireFox on my Mac.

I don't think you can "uninstall" Internet Explorer since it's built into the OS. You can go to Windows Components, deselect it, and run that but I don't think it ever really completely uninstalls. My husband had a bad virus and he still got IE pop-ups even when deactivated IE and only using FireFox. I would try cleaning up the spyware/malware b/c that can still be going damage.

Thanks

We are lucky to have you here.

I knew you would have very good information for these questions.

I would try cleaning up the spyware/malware

I just went to this site and they list several sites

There is software available that can help identify and remove Trojan software from your machine. Many anti-virus products will find some Trojans but not all. That is why it is just as important to scan for these little bugs as well. Below are links to some examples of sites or programs that can be used to rid your machine of these pests.

Spybot Search & Destroy (free download)
asquared (30 day free trial)
Ad-Aware (free and pay versions available)
Digital Patrol (30 day free trial)
Pest Patrol (free scan, evaluation copy)
Tauscan (free download)
The Cleaner (30 day free trial)
PC Doorguard (30 day free trial)
A2 (Free Trojan Scanner -download)
Trojan Hunter (30 day free trial--download)
/\ top

Online virus/Trojan Scanners *

* NOTE: it is recommended that you run at least 3 of these scanners as each scanner finds different things

Freedom Security Scan
AuditMyPc
F-secure
eTrust
Trend Micro
Panda Activescan
Norton
Mcafee
BitDefender
Shields Up
RAV
Kaspersky
Jotti virusscan

* Freedom Internet Security Services are intended primarily for residential HSI subscribers. Rates and terms of service may vary for commercial use accordingly

so I think you have pointed me in the right direction.

I will wait on Safari.

and try and clean up spyware/ malware?

here is web page with links at bottom

I am happy with Firefox on Ubuntu, and see no reason to switch to Windows or Mac to test Safari.

Deep, I use Adaware Personal SE, Spybot Search & Destroy, and/or Webroot Spy Sweeper to clean up spyware. Whichever program(s) you use, run the scans in Safe Mode and keep running them until a scan comes up clean.

I use Windows Defender and Bazooka Spyware Scanner in addition to some of the others listed above and they both find things all the time.

i use safari on my mac and it definitely has tabs. i should probably install safari on my parents' pc just to see how it runs :hmm: i'm running the 3.1 beta version on my mac and it's been fine, but i haven't heard any reviews of the pc version until this thread.

Liesje said:
I'm thinking Apple mainly released it to allow Windows users to develop iPhone apps now :hmm:

Deep If you update your firefox browser to 2.0 and go to options you can add tabs to your browser.

Why use tabs?

I went to options and checked hide

Why lose sceen space
when I can flip between pages by clicking at the page icons? in the start task bar.

With tabs, you can more easily switch between web pages because you don't have to open a complete new window. You can stay on the page you're reading and have the new link (or several links) load in the background. And it doesn't clutter up your desktop with open windows. Tabs are faster and easier. :up:

I opened this reply in a tab and wrote it in a tab.

I also have five other windows (pages) open, I don't see what the advantage is over tabs or windows.

It is only a question of where you have to go to click between pages.

deep said:
Why use tabs?

I went to options and checked hide

Why lose sceen space
when I can flip between pages by clicking at the page icons? in the start task bar.

How do you lose screen space with tabs?

If you don't have a Windows bar, then tabs are more efficient. On my PC I don't use the taskbar to navigate and on my Mac...well there isn't one.

*does experiment*

Also, FireFox is using more memory having three windows open than if I have one window with three tabs.

Liesje said:
*does experiment*

Also, FireFox is using more memory having three windows open than if I have one window with three tabs.

I kind of assumed that would be the case.

But all of my connections are broadband and real fast and I guess I have enough ram, etc.

I do not auto hide windows start / task bar at bottom of screen. I like to be able to look at the time in the left bottom corner when ever with out having to mouse down to bring it up.

So with the task bar visible and the tabs bar both running across my screen it would reduce the vertical viewing space on my screen.

I do understand that the tabs and auto-hide on the task bar would be use less memory.

I guess I am just set in my ways.

I have only tried to use a Mac once or twice and that missing task bar did mess me up.

If I were a Mac'in

I'd be a Tab'in.

deep said:

I kind of assumed that would be the case.

But all of my connections are broadband and real fast and I guess I have enough ram, etc.

I do not auto hide windows start / task bar at bottom of screen. I like to be able to look at the time in the left bottom corner when ever with out having to mouse down to bring it up.

So with the task bar visible and the tabs bar both running across my screen it would reduce the vertical viewing space on my screen.

I do understand that the tabs and auto-hide on the task bar would be use less memory.

I guess I am just set in my ways.

I don't auto-hide either, I have mine on my left side, with a "dock" at the top (like a Mac dock, but for a PC).

I've got 2 gigs of RAM and FireFox is still pretty greedy. Also, the "memory" open applications use isn't just the RAM, its the "virtual memory" which is like a combination of RAM, the CPU, and the cache. Even with 2 gigs of RAM, if I have the same FireFox window open for like two days, the computer gets angry. Tabbed browsing also eats up memory, just not quite as much as multiple windows.

Anyway, if you don't like tabs, you don't like tabs, but I don't see how a buggy Safari is any improvement over IE or FireFox. I HATE IE and I'd chose IE7 over the current Safari release.

Ok

I am tabbing on my year old dell laptop right now.

To see if I will like it. I got auto hide on, too.

I do appreciate all the information you are sharing.

I may move my task bar to the side, too.

And I will not d/l safari anytime, soon.

deep said:
Ok

I am tabbing on my year old dell laptop right now.

To see if I will like it. I got auto hide on, too.

I do appreciate all the information you are sharing.

I may move my task bar to the side, too.

And I will not d/l safari anytime, soon.

I have mine on the side mainly b/c when I'm doing web work, I'll have like 3 FireFox windows, several folders, Picasa, FireWorks, DreamWeaver, JAlbum, etc all open at once so with the taskbar on the bottom, there's not enough space for all those windows. If you put it on the side, then you can have like 25 windows open and they will stack. Also, I used to use like 20 QuickLaunch buttons and no icons on the desktop, so with all those open windows and QuickLaunch buttons, it helped to have the taskbar on the side. Now I use a dock at the top of my screen instead of QuickLaunch, but I'm used to the taskbar on the side. I'll post a screen shot when I get home. My co-workers thought it looked dumb and then three months later sure enough half of them have a taskbar on the left side. :wink: Also, I think it's just easier to read - more at eye level - than it being on the very bottom, especially with a laptop that is not elevated like a CRT.

Here is my personal laptop (work is setup the same, but no dock on the PC, yes dock on the Mac)

desktop2.jpg

See I already have lots of windows open, so the stack better on the side than on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom