Are U2 people Mac People? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Vaio has always made some nice, higher end minis, and the Eee PCs have been around a few years now (I think they are cheap, like $300-$400).
The Vaios are pretty much as expensive as Macs. And everyone that I knew who had one had it crap out on them, and then had major problems with repairs because many shops won't fix the Sonys, so the repairs were very pricey compared to other PC brands.

I had a Vaio once, maybe about 3.5 years ago. It died in 2 weeks - screen crapped out. It was still under warranty, but I returned it and didn't want a replacement since I pretty much lost faith in the brand after that.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think there's something to be said for convenience though. Macbooks are way more portable (unless of course you've just spent $2K on a super portable tiny Toshiba or LG or something), they are slimmer and lighter, and not to mention have a battery life that's somewhere between 2-3x that of a PC laptop. And their power bars don't weigh 2 lbs either. I know that when I was a student and had to lug the laptop with me to class every day, and from class to class, the extra $500-600 over 3 years is more than absolutely worth it.
Young 'uns these days.

When I was in school we had to lug a whole load of stone tablets to every class....

Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

I don't like the Vaios much either, but they've been around a while, so Mac isn't/hasn't been the only option as far as portability. It's just expensive portability . The EEE PCs have been around a while too, but are more popular now that you can get Windows (probably defeats the purpose of it being fast and reliable though!). The best Minis I've seen are ones that the Asian kids have, but I don't know exactly what they are or where they get them. We always play around with them when they come in.

As far as problems, the Mac/PC ratio I see is basically the same, and these are power users like physics professors running intensive processes, not students with notebook computers. When all the computers are really put to the test, in my experience there is no clear winner or loser as far as Mac vs. PC. The PCs are certainly far easier and cheaper to fix, but certain programs and processes function better on one or the other.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The best Minis I've seen are ones that the Asian kids have, but I don't know exactly what they are or where they get them. We always play around with them when they come in.
Maybe Fujitsu? All the exchange kids from HK & Singapore had those.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Something like that. The OS' are never in English and the cases don't always have names/model numbers. We have a lot of students from HK and Korea.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Quote:
No but that's the point. You get what you pay for. Macs and low-end PCs (like what you get at Best Buy) are apples and oranges. I repair laptops for a college, and most incoming freshmen do not have a need for a $1000+ laptop because the majority of their use is Word processing, listening to music, and Facebook. They don't want to spend $1000+ for a lighted keyboard and aluminum finish (that's all they see, they don't know or give a rip about the form factor and what's inside the machine), they want the $500 Dell Inspiron.
Interesting, I'm in college and almost all my friends use Macs we've had up to 5 Macbooks in the apartment at a time

theyre pricey but there are sooo few problems it's worth it... don't have to worry about viruses and crashes and all. I can't stand Windows - once you go Mac you never go back
Old 08-24-2009, 01:56 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:07 PM

Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 AM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:07 AM
that's a fucking obscene number of laptops to have in a lecture theatre.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

love it, especially the lime green one!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:07 PM
I find I take better notes and pay more attention when I leave the laptop at home and go to class with pen + paper.

Paper fucking rocks

Thinking of picking up a cheap netbook for on-campus email and other administrative BS stuff, though.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Ditto, I always wrote notes and then sometimes re-typed them in case I needed to study them later (or sell them, lol). Or I just didn't go to the intro-level lectures (pretty much all of our 200+ level courses were "seminar" style meaning much smaller classes with lots of discussion).
Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #57
War Child

Local Time: 09:07 PM
I am a Mac person thru-and-thru.
Always had to use Windows at my previous jobs - but at home it was always Mac.... and will never change!!

As for U2.. I remember seeing a photo of Bono (in his NYC apartment) where he is working on his lovely Mac laptop
Old 08-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #58
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
love it, especially the lime green one!
me too

last time i was in a lecture hall i didn't have a laptop, but these days i think i'd bring the laptop to take notes. i do better reading things on paper, but i type much faster than i write. i'd type up the notes and print them out to read them that way.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
last time i was in a lecture hall i didn't have a laptop, but these days i think i'd bring the laptop to take notes. i do better reading things on paper, but i type much faster than i write. i'd type up the notes and print them out to read them that way.
i'll hold you to this
Old 08-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #60
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
i'll hold you to this
though all i've left (after this semester) are major-related classes. (well i also need to finally take a second semester of german, but that's still 30 people, tops.) the only thing that might be that size a class is the environmental science class. i'm not sure if i have the guts to bring a laptop to a regular-sized class. i'd be afraid to walk in and be the only one with a laptop.

i'm a loser.