Are U2 people Mac People?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a MacBook Pro and love it. However, I loathe Mac OS X. I spend most of my time in Ubuntu Linux, but I have Windows 7 RC1 (which I really like) and OS X installed, too.

I'm not a professional programmer, but I dabble around a decent bit in Java and (especially) PHP.

Odd that you as a techie use the same hardware as a non-techie (Bono). ;).
I'm a PC person.

Well. I used to only use Windoze PCs at home. I still use them at work.

It's just I prefer surfing the web on my personal time, rather than installing 600 updates a year to fix Microsoft's crap.

I love my gorgeous 24" imac all in one. There's no big box. There's no mass of cables. Just my mac and some external drives for backup.

I have one of those block-of-aluminum machined macbook laptops too. The design of those things just beats every PC or Laptop manufacturer hands down.

Show me one nice PC or Laptop manufacturer that makes a nice laptop, one that would impress someone who currently owns a macbook....

You can't can you?

W

I have one of those block-of-aluminum machined macbook laptops too. The design of those things just beats every PC or Laptop manufacturer hands down.

Show me one nice PC or Laptop manufacturer that makes a nice laptop, one that would impress someone who currently owns a macbook....

You can't can you?

Probably not. But that indicates how much of the price goes to pay for design. One of my pet peeves is overpaying for technology. I doubt you could show me one Fortune 500 company that uses macbooks as their predominant enterprise laptop (except for maybe a multimedia company). :wink:.

I love my gorgeous 24" imac all in one. There's no big box. There's no mass of cables. Just my mac and some external drives for backup.
i do have to agree, it's so wonderful to not have 500 cables sticking out of my imac. my parents have an hp, and god i hate having to do anything on their computer that involves unplugging things. i recently had to unplug everything in my room because the carpet was being replaced. it took me longer to hook up my tv than my imac!

plus there just doesn't seem to be as many updates with macs. the only thing that pisses me off are quicktime and safari updates because they require a reboot. that's so minor though and only happens a couple times a year, that's a small price to pay i think.

plus there just doesn't seem to be as many updates with macs. the only thing that pisses me off are quicktime and safari updates because they require a reboot. that's so minor though and only happens a couple times a year, that's a small price to pay i think.

the only criticism i have of these is they somehow know when you've just started doing something that doesn't allow you the chance to restart and therefore alert you about the update then.

the only criticism i have of these is they somehow know when you've just started doing something that doesn't allow you the chance to restart and therefore alert you about the update then.
how true. also, a couple times i've come back from a reboot (not relating to software updates), only for the software update to run and say i have an update requiring a reboot. :gah:

And if you want to upgrade individual components, you can't without a lot of effort. I typically upgrade my monitors and hard drives after the initial purchase. I'd hate to have bought a 17" or 19" imac and get stuck with that. Even the 640GB on the latest model is dated.

I love my iMac but it doesn't have enough input ports and it's soooooo annoying that they are all on the back. My older one had USB ports on the keyboard but that was kinda a dumb idea, they didn't have enough power to really run anything but maybe a flash drive. Also, the one thing I hate about the Mac OS is that when you choose Shut Down it won't just close all your apps and shut off. I'm used to this with my PC so then I come back to work in the morning with a message that "The GroupWise application cancelled the shut down" or something like that. I thought that was the point of shut down, so I don't have to close a gazillion apps on my own? I also have way more annoying file permission issues on my Mac than on either of my PCs including Vista. It's very nice if the only computer you have is a Mac and you sort of do all your computing in an Apple bubble but for those that don't and can't, it's far too proprietary.

You can't can you?

No but that's the point. You get what you pay for. Macs and low-end PCs (like what you get at Best Buy) are apples and oranges. I repair laptops for a college, and most incoming freshmen do not have a need for a $1000+ laptop because the majority of their use is Word processing, listening to music, and Facebook. They don't want to spend $1000+ for a lighted keyboard and aluminum finish (that's all they see, they don't know or give a rip about the form factor and what's inside the machine), they want the $500 Dell Inspiron.

I am the same way, I do all of my intensive stuff on my Mac in my office, but I don't need a $2000 home computer when the most intensive things I'm doing there are some minor tweaks in an old version of Dreamweaver, or editing photos in Picassa. I only need something for checking e-mail, watching an occasional movie, and web surfing. I'm not going to pay twice as much for more power and a superior form factor that I don't need.

I almost did buy a Mac but was disappointed with the lack of choice and customization. If I upgraded the amount of RAM, I had to also upgrade the screen size, hard drive size, etc. It was like an all or nothing thing and the price differences were quite significant so I said forget about it, not worth $700 more for some things I don't care about.

Don't get me wrong, my iMac is probably my favorite of my computers but it's really no comparison to my home PC.

I like my desktop PC. Any mobile computing stuff I can get done on an iPod Touch.

No but that's the point. You get what you pay for. Macs and low-end PCs (like what you get at Best Buy) are apples and oranges. I repair laptops for a college, and most incoming freshmen do not have a need for a $1000+ laptop because the majority of their use is Word processing, listening to music, and Facebook. They don't want to spend $1000+ for a lighted keyboard and aluminum finish (that's all they see, they don't know or give a rip about the form factor and what's inside the machine), they want the $500 Dell Inspiron.

I think there's something to be said for convenience though. Macbooks are way more portable (unless of course you've just spent $2K on a super portable tiny Toshiba or LG or something), they are slimmer and lighter, and not to mention have a battery life that's somewhere between 2-3x that of a PC laptop. And their power bars don't weigh 2 lbs either. I know that when I was a student and had to lug the laptop with me to class every day, and from class to class, the extra $500-600 over 3 years is more than absolutely worth it.

The new Mini PCs are pretty affordable. Someone brought us one to play with and I really liked it, it was $400 including a solid state hard drive. Vaio has always made some nice, higher end minis, and the Eee PCs have been around a few years now (I think they are cheap, like $300-$400).

My current laptop slides in my purse (6.6" x 13.5", 5lbs). It's nearly 3 years old so it doesn't compete with the newer stuff, but portability has never been an issue for me. It's about the size of some of the notebooks (lol, the real kind) I carry to work.

But again, just so much more choice with the PCs. Not as well engineered, but not everyone cares. I tend to sell my computers and buy a new one every 2-3 years anyway. If I wanted a home computer that would last, I'd get a Mac (my co-worker has used the same Mac with a few minor upgrades for 6 years and there's nothing wrong with it, it's just older now).

Vaio has always made some nice, higher end minis, and the Eee PCs have been around a few years now (I think they are cheap, like $300-$400).

The Vaios are pretty much as expensive as Macs. And everyone that I knew who had one had it crap out on them, and then had major problems with repairs because many shops won't fix the Sonys, so the repairs were very pricey compared to other PC brands.

I had a Vaio once, maybe about 3.5 years ago. It died in 2 weeks - screen crapped out. It was still under warranty, but I returned it and didn't want a replacement since I pretty much lost faith in the brand after that.

I think there's something to be said for convenience though. Macbooks are way more portable (unless of course you've just spent $2K on a super portable tiny Toshiba or LG or something), they are slimmer and lighter, and not to mention have a battery life that's somewhere between 2-3x that of a PC laptop. And their power bars don't weigh 2 lbs either. I know that when I was a student and had to lug the laptop with me to class every day, and from class to class, the extra $500-600 over 3 years is more than absolutely worth it.

Young 'uns these days. :tsk:

When I was in school we had to lug a whole load of stone tablets to every class....

:D

I don't like the Vaios much either, but they've been around a while, so Mac isn't/hasn't been the only option as far as portability. It's just expensive portability :). The EEE PCs have been around a while too, but are more popular now that you can get Windows (probably defeats the purpose of it being fast and reliable though!). The best Minis I've seen are ones that the Asian kids have, but I don't know exactly what they are or where they get them. We always play around with them when they come in.

As far as problems, the Mac/PC ratio I see is basically the same, and these are power users like physics professors running intensive processes, not students with notebook computers. When all the computers are really put to the test, in my experience there is no clear winner or loser as far as Mac vs. PC. The PCs are certainly far easier and cheaper to fix, but certain programs and processes function better on one or the other.

The best Minis I've seen are ones that the Asian kids have, but I don't know exactly what they are or where they get them. We always play around with them when they come in.

Maybe Fujitsu? All the exchange kids from HK & Singapore had those.

Something like that. The OS' are never in English and the cases don't always have names/model numbers. We have a lot of students from HK and Korea.

Interesting, I'm in college and almost all my friends use Macs :wink: we've had up to 5 Macbooks in the apartment at a time :lol:

theyre pricey but there are sooo few problems it's worth it... don't have to worry about viruses and crashes and all. I can't stand Windows - once you go Mac you never go back :D

:hmm:

uni.jpg

I find I take better notes and pay more attention when I leave the laptop at home and go to class with pen + paper.

Paper fucking rocks :up:

Thinking of picking up a cheap netbook for on-campus email and other administrative BS stuff, though.

Ditto, I always wrote notes and then sometimes re-typed them in case I needed to study them later (or sell them, lol). Or I just didn't go to the intro-level lectures (pretty much all of our 200+ level courses were "seminar" style meaning much smaller classes with lots of discussion).

I am a Mac person thru-and-thru.
Always had to use Windows at my previous jobs - but at home it was always Mac.... and will never change!!

As for U2.. I remember seeing a photo of Bono (in his NYC apartment) where he is working on his lovely Mac laptop :applaud:

love it, especially the lime green one!
me too :love:

last time i was in a lecture hall i didn't have a laptop, but these days i think i'd bring the laptop to take notes. i do better reading things on paper, but i type much faster than i write. i'd type up the notes and print them out to read them that way.

i'll hold you to this
:yippie: though all i've left (after this semester) are major-related classes. (well i also need to finally take a second semester of german, but that's still 30 people, tops.) the only thing that might be that size a class is the environmental science class. i'm not sure if i have the guts to bring a laptop to a regular-sized class. :uhoh: i'd be afraid to walk in and be the only one with a laptop.

i'm a loser. :reject:

Back
Top Bottom