Are all Android USB Charging Ports Crap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
My son has gotten thro 3 Android Tablets in the past 18 months. Fair enough, he does use them a lot, but it seems these charging ports are sub standard and not fit for purpose. They seem to last about 6 months of moderatley high useage before they develop faults.

Annoyingly...the latest Tablet is still under warranty, but the company who i bought it from are trying to tell me that Charging ports are not covered in the warranty. Im going to argue that they should be as they are a crucial component and should be built to last...at least, longer than 5-6 months of use.

Has my son just been unlucky, or are these USB charging ports sub standard? Many people seem to suffer the same issues.

Im waiting to see if this unit will get repaired free...if not...im thinking about a 2 in 1 laptop or.....at a push....despite it being considerably more expensive....an ipad. At least the 2 in 1 laptop doesnt have usb chargin port, just AC....which seems infinitley more reliable

have had android phones and tablets for 3 years now and never a single issue with a charging port.

Ive never had dodgy Android phone charging problems. But my son has had 3 different makes of Tablet in last 1.5 yrs......each time, charging port failure is the problem. 2 of the 3 tablets lasted about 5-6 months at the most.

The internet forums seem to have many people with similar tales.

Im not forking out another £150 for a new Tablet....only for it to last 5 to 6 months again.

Im Hopeful this latest one will be repaired under the warranty...despite what the retailer tried to imply. Ive been over the Lenovo warranty and there is no mention of charging ports being exempt from the warranty. Only limitations seem to be thro accident or misuse

What do you mean by sub standard charging ports?

First thing to know is that android is an operating system, not hardware. So, if you're experiencing issues with a charging port, that's hardware. You'll want to look at the brand of the device (Samsung, LG, HTC, etc.).

Second, detail the problem you're encountering. No tablet should have a life of less than 9 to 12 months. And that's being really rough on it. If you're encountering an issue with a charging port, i.e. physical damage, that sounds like it's not being treated well. If the charger doesn't work (but you've tried different combinations), that might be the battery. Make sure you're not providing more voltage than the device asks for (typically 5 volts). Also, check the ports for physical blockage. Sometimes, dirt or lint can build up inside small ports and stop a cable from engaging properly.

Back
Top Bottom