Apple Update: The Beat Goes On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger Edge

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
http://www.macrumors.com/

Tomorrow Apple announces stuffs. Mostly iPod updates, it seems.

:hyper:

So what are we betting on?

The Beatles on iTunes?

A 3.5" iPod video screen? (I've been calling this one since before the iPhone was even announced)

A complete revamp of the iPod Nano?

All of the above??

Who's excited?! :combust:

I read that the wireless concept has a good possibility of NOT being included in the iPod update because it could damage the sale of iPhones and anger AT&T.

But it would be pretty sweet. :drool:

From Macrumors.com;

"iPod touch Released

Apple also released the iPod Touch today, featuring full, touchscreen controls like the iPhone. Included apps are Calendar, Clock Contacts, Calc, Settings and a few more. Steve Jobs called it "One of the Seven Wonders of the World."
• Thinner than the iPhone - only 8mm
• Same multitouch pinch & spread zooming controls for photos as the iPhone
• Same coverflow as the iPhone
• 3.5" diagonal screen
• Wi-Fi 802.11b & 802.11g - it can save your home network setup
• Home button
• Slide to unlock - same as the iPhone
• Sensor for auto-landscape viewing
• Safari - connect to the internet via WiFi
• YouTube via WiFi
• 22 hours audio, 5 hours video playback
• Shipping worldwide this month - already localized into many languages
• 8GB - $299
• 16GB - $399"

iTunes WiFi Music Store Announced

Also announced at the "Beat Goes On" media event as Steve Jobs' classic "One More Thing..." was a wifi-accessible version of the iTunes Music Store. The new version allows downloading music from iTunes directly to your iPod touch.

• Same pricing & selection as standard iTunes store
• Free previews over WiFi of any song in the iTunes store

Availability of the Wifi Music Store for the iPhone is expected "in a few weeks."

applebeatgoeson186.jpg

Apple Announces Starbucks Partnership

In addition to the iPod related releases today, Apple is pleased to announce a partnership with Starbucks.
When you get near a Starbucks a fifth button will come up in the WiFi music store - you may have been in a Starbucks wondering what song is that playing? Now you can buy it with a tap of your finger.

The service will reportedly display the last 10 songs played in that Starbucks.

No mention yet what happens when you're in range of 4 Starbucks or more at the same time.

8GB iPhone Price Drop, 4GB iPhone Discontinued

An additional announcement from the "Beat Goes On" media event today - the iPhone will receive a price drop, moving the 8GB model down to $399 from $599 starting immediately. The 4GB iPhone model is being dropped, due to intense consumer concentration on the 8GB model.

With the current pricing, the 8GB iPhone is now only $100 more than the new iPod touch model at the same storage capacity.

A little bit of a letdown with that announcement - I guess I was expecting something more revolutionary.

ntalwar said:
A little bit of a letdown with that announcement

Yeah, I agree. I'd be more geeked up if the iPod Touches were bigger. 8GB and 16 GB? I still have a 20GB, but it's getting close to being filled. I can't imagine ever buying a new iPod that had even less capacity than what I'm used to.

I know, I sound like a spoiled brat. :wink:

phanan said:
I won't bother with an iPod Touch until they get bigger, either. I still have a little room left on my 60GB iPod.

Same. 16 gigs is awfully small. I've got well over that on my 60 gigger already and I'd hate to have to pick and choose.

phanan said:
I won't bother with an iPod Touch until they get bigger, either. I still have a little room left on my 60GB iPod.

Agreed. But I like the possibility of a future 80+ GB iPod Touch.

Apple just loves holding back big stuff. Isn't it amazing how long it took them to come out with iPods in color when cell phones already had color menus? Or the fact that they could even display photos?!

Teasers!

Bonochick said:

Yeah, I agree. I'd be more geeked up if the iPod Touches were bigger. 8GB and 16 GB? I still have a 20GB, but it's getting close to being filled. I can't imagine ever buying a new iPod that had even less capacity than what I'm used to.

I know, I sound like a spoiled brat. :wink:

I agree. I still have room on my 30GB, but I don't see myself buying one with less storage, even when this one fills up.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Man, I've been really hopeful for a new iPod since mine's starting to crap out, but 8 and 16 GB?

I'm more excited about the iPod Classic. http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/

80 GB for $249???

:drool:

Yeah, I liked that one too :). I might get that for my sister for Christmas. I got her a nano last year, which she filled up almost instantly it seems like :lol:.

The screen-size difference from the Touch to the Classic is only 1 inch and the pixel res is a little better. I've never had a problem watching movies on my video, except for the ridiculous dead pixel line going across the screen. :|

I've learned my lesson, I'm getting a good hard plastic case next time.

My computer's hard drive is 80 gigs :lol:

Mama LMP bought me a silver iPod Classic as a belated birthday present. :drool:

Man I'm loving this new Touch making room for the "budget" iPod classic. I'm going to pick one up in black, probably.

I'm thinking I'll pick up the iPod classic as well...I've been looking to upgrade from my 4G for awhile now, and this seems like the perfect opportunity. :drool:

I love that I can now get an 80gb iPod for $249, but I'm pretty disappointed in the iPod Touch. If it was 20/40gb it'd be damn sweet, but at 8/16 I just get the feeling that Apple is being stingy.

it's very difficult to fit that memory in the iPod touch to have the same quality and design product, besides it's flash memory, not hard drive as in the classic.

just want to say one thing: "I told you so", some months ago! I think it was in a iPod VS Zune thread here, but I'm not going to search it, but we saw it coming!
-FCA

I'm hesitant to buy a hard drive based player again - they are simply not as reliable as flash. If I buy the classic, I'll get an extended warranty.

Back
Top Bottom