Apple Officially Announces Mac OS X: Leopard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me either, I'm installing the minute I get it on the 26th, which should be before all the people at the Apple Stores :drool:

Nice! I don't know when I'll get it, nearest Apple store is 2 hours away. :scream: I was thinking of ordering through Amazon since it's cheaper for some reason. Not sure when they'll be shipping though.

$130?

I love my MacBook, but come on, Microsoft doesn't even charge that much for their upgrade discs, and that's when the upgrade is to a completely new OS rather than an update of a current one.

namkcuR said:
$130?

I love my MacBook, but come on, Microsoft doesn't even charge that much for their upgrade discs, and that's when the upgrade is to a completely new OS rather than an update of a current one.

No kidding. And a lot of people qualify for all FREE software (basically all Microsoft software and OSs except Office) from MSDN. I've never paid for any OS and I don't use pirated ones either.

neutral said:
Nice! I don't know when I'll get it, nearest Apple store is 2 hours away. :scream: I was thinking of ordering through Amazon since it's cheaper for some reason. Not sure when they'll be shipping though.

Yeah, I get the (small) education discount, so I ordered through Apple. And, because I just want it on the 26th. :shrug:

On Apple Stores: I now live where there are 3 or 4 stores in the metro area :drool:

This is a pretty significant upgrade to the Mac OS, probably more like moving from XP to Vista. Except, you know, in this case the move is actually worthwhile. :wink:

Diemen said:
This is a pretty significant upgrade to the Mac OS, probably more like moving from XP to Vista. Except, you know, in this case the move is actually worthwhile. :wink:

But people that bought an XP computer before Vista was available got free copies of Vista in the mail. I was looking at Macs before I got my current laptop and one of the reasons I got another PC was b/c they said if I bought the Mac, I'd still have to pay the $150 for Leopard just a few months later.

I found out today that my university is selling Leopard for $69 for 69 minutes, 6pm-7:09pm on Friday night. I can't cancel my preorder anymore, so I'm going to go to the bookstore, purchase a copy, and return it to Apple to get my $60 difference back. :shifty:

Liesje said:
But people that bought an XP computer before Vista was available got free copies of Vista in the mail. I was looking at Macs before I got my current laptop and one of the reasons I got another PC was b/c they said if I bought the Mac, I'd still have to pay the $150 for Leopard just a few months later.
i know they do have some timespan where if you purchased a new computer through apple, you can pay i think $9.99 to upgrade to whatever the new os is (which in this case is leopard).

i can't wait for it to come out though, it looks like it'll be a huge change from tiger. i also bought another external hard drive in anticipation for the time machine app :drool:

onebloodonelife said:
I found out today that my university is selling Leopard for $69 for 69 minutes, 6pm-7:09pm on Friday night. I can't cancel my preorder anymore, so I'm going to go to the bookstore, purchase a copy, and return it to Apple to get my $60 difference back. :shifty:
ha, i have a friend that can get leopard from another university for $70 too. they offered to buy me a copy too but i'm too impatient. :reject:

Writing from the new Safari 3 in Leopard :D

No issues yet, I did an Archive and Install so my preferences and programs were preserved. I really like that all the windows are uniform now. Quick Look is fabulous, very helpful. Spaces is very cool as well. I was using a program called Virtue Desktops before to do the same thing, so I miss the cube transition from that program a bit, but I think I'll get used to it.

Couple screenshots:

i'm also posting using safari 3 in leopard :drool:

safari itself didn't surprise me much since i'd been using the beta and from what i can tell so far, it's pretty similar to the beta that was on their site.

as for everything else in leopard, i'm just taking it all in. it's fantastic though :drool:

KhanadaRhodes said:
i'm also posting using safari 3 in leopard :drool:

safari itself didn't surprise me much since i'd been using the beta and from what i can tell so far, it's pretty similar to the beta that was on their site.

as for everything else in leopard, i'm just taking it all in. it's fantastic though :drool:

I'd been using the beta as well, but this is much, much more stable. The beta was beachballing on me on a regular basis, and would crash every so often. The final version hasn't done either yet. I :heart: Web Clip too!

I have it installed. The Spaces is very cool. I haven't needed to use Time Machine yet, but the presentation is awesome - and I really like the idea of being able to go back and find versions just a few hours old.

Awesome feature: you can go to a webpage, right click in Safari and choose "Open in Dashboard". From there you highlight and trace areas of the web page and that will get sent to the dashboard and serve as a widget that updates itself.

We've got a major networking issue with Leopard here on our campus (and other schools do as well). An Apple engineer came out and determined it's a problem with Leopard and will hopefully be fixed when they release an update. Apparently many other schools and business have the same issue, dunno why it didn't come up when they were making Leopard.

Liesje said:
We've got a major networking issue with Leopard here on our campus (and other schools do as well). An Apple engineer came out and determined it's a problem with Leopard and will hopefully be fixed when they release an update. Apparently many other schools and business have the same issue, dunno why it didn't come up when they were making Leopard.

:hmm: Interesting, there is an update expected within the next couple weeks at the latest. I'd guess that it didn't come up in testing because a school isn't going to be willing to be guinea pigs for a new operating system, and as far as I know, universities tend to use a lot of quirky networking, at least that's the case at mine. But, hopefully it gets fixed soon!

Yeah, it's just strange that Tiger worked fine and then Apple removed some of the settings that are needed for certain types of network authentication and now it's not possible.

hi Liesje,

I just bought this MacBook Pro 15"

* 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1440 x 900 resolution
* 2GB memory
* 120GB hard drive1
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM

I have not opened the box yet

I am thinking of taking it back and paying the extra $500

to get 160GB hard drive and the

256MB SDRAM??

I know what the extra 40 GB will do for me

what will the 256MB SDRAM do for me over the 128??

I don't think the average user would notice a big difference in performance between 128 and 256.

I think you really notice the gain if you have demanding tasks such as processing alot of video.

500 bones just the 40 extra gigs is too much.

^^ Ditto that. I do a lot of image editing and use large graphics files, but I'm not sure even I would notice the difference unless I had a dozen files open at a time. If we got a PC, we'd have to get the 256 or better b/c Phil is a gamer, but that doesn't factor in with a Mac. I would NOT pay $500 for that. I would get a nice external hard drive. I never, ever upgrade internal hard drives. I don't really want stuff saved internally anyway. For $500, you could get 2-3 nice external drives, way bigger than 160GB.

Liesje said:
^^ Ditto that. I do a lot of image editing and use large graphics files, but I'm not sure even I would notice the difference unless I had a dozen files open at a time. If we got a PC, we'd have to get the 256 or better b/c Phil is a gamer, but that doesn't factor in with a Mac. I would NOT pay $500 for that. I would get a nice external hard drive. I never, ever upgrade internal hard drives. I don't really want stuff saved internally anyway. For $500, you could get 2-3 nice external drives, way bigger than 160GB.

Liesje,

Thanks for the answer,

You too, Calvin N. Hobbes

I figured I did not need the 256.

I actually spent $2600 at the apple store

1800 MacBook (Ed. discount)
non- glare screen? good?

400 iPhone

100 for a printer - scanner, that I will get a 100 rebate (free)

100 for 1-1 training - the store is real close to my home and work (this is my first Mac)

a couple of more questions:

1. They really pushed the 3 - warranty $350 , they said they would discount it to $239
Do I really need this?

2. They tried to sell me a apple program where I can access all my information from anywhere, I guess it is online storage, they also said if my comp was on, I could access the hd remotely

$100 discounted to $70 for the first year.
Should I get this?

Lastly, they said I have to pay when I call tech support $50 each time
and if I bought their program it would be free?

deep,

The warranty might be worth it for a laptop. I have a Macbook and am considering getting it, but you have a year to decide.

The program you're talking about isn't really important, to me at least.

And, yes, it's true that you'll have to pay to get tech support after the first 30 days unless you buy Applecare, which is the warranty, but really, their phone support isn't good at all. You'd be better off buying One to One, which is $100 a year and you get unlimited personal training sessions at an Apple Store. It sounds like you're close by a store anyway, so if you need tech support, you can go to the Genius Bar and get support for free.

EDIT: Oops, I see now that you already bought One to One, in which case there's really no reason to worry about their phone tech support.

onebloodonelife said:
You'd be better off buying One to One, which is $100 a year and you get unlimited personal training sessions at an Apple Store.

I've heard that this is the best way to go.:up:

What oneblood says. Phone support isn't great anyway. I AM a laptop technician, and you would be shocked at how much of my day is simply Googling problems/error reports and reading through tech message boards for possible solutions. I never find the solutions I'm looking for on the manufacturer's websites or manuals.

I always get a 3 year warranty with a new computer. Even if I don't need it, it helps re-sale value. I got a 3 year warranty for my current computer that covers batteries, screens, and keyboards. I mean, it covers everything, but if I sold my computer today I could call them and say "hey I need a new screen, keyboard, and battery" just because I want one and they would replace it. I also got a warranty that is very easy to transfer. All I have to do is sign my receipt over to the new owner. I've used my warranty once already - one of my two 1GB RAM modules was bad and I needed a new one.

Liesje said:
What oneblood says. Phone support isn't great anyway. I AM a laptop technician, and you would be shocked at how much of my day is simply Googling problems/error reports and reading through tech message boards for possible solutions. I never find the solutions I'm looking for on the manufacturer's websites or manuals.

I always get a 3 year warranty with a new computer. Even if I don't need it, it helps re-sale value. I got a 3 year warranty for my current computer that covers batteries, screens, and keyboards. I mean, it covers everything, but if I sold my computer today I could call them and say "hey I need a new screen, keyboard, and battery" just because I want one and they would replace it. I also got a warranty that is very easy to transfer. All I have to do is sign my receipt over to the new owner. I've used my warranty once already - one of my two 1GB RAM modules was bad and I needed a new one.

again, thanks everyone

I did spend the $100 bucks
for one to one

I have never resold a comp.

this will be my 3rd comp,

so I will not be a heavy user on this one.

mostly just surfing the net

but, it does sound like a pretty good (no - hassle) warranty

so I guess I should go back and try and buy it while they are offering it for $239 instead of $350?

Last edited:
Deep,

If you're still looking for extra space, external hard drives are dirt cheap these days. I picked up a 500GB external drive for $120 a couple weeks ago (I do a lot of photo editing), so you should be able to easily double or triple your disk space for under $100.

deep said:

again, thanks everyone

I did spend the $100 bucks
for one to one

I have never resold a comp.

this will be my 3rd comp,

so I will not be a heavy user on this one.

mostly just surfing the net

but, it does sound like a pretty good (no - hassle) warranty

so I guess I should go back and try and buy it while they are offering it for $239 instead of $350?

I did some checking on the warranty price, and it looks like the $239 is the education price, so if you got the laptop with the edu price, you can get the warranty for that price as well, any time in the first year.

Back
Top Bottom