Any suggestions in buying a new camera/what would be good for the tour? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
I'd recommend a "superzoom" category camera - possibly a newer model because low noise at high ISOs is a must. I'll probably buy one as well for shows this year because my dslr is too risky to bring in. I'll probably return it after the shows (and pay a restocking fee). I.S. is not that important unless you're shooting from really far away, but then the photos won't be too sharp anyway (with the lenses on most superzooms). The performers are moving after all, so using a fast enough shutter speed is more important. And generally speaking, you need to get relatively close (within 100 ft) to get a sharp shot.
i'm usually rail...so shouldn't be a problem!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:10 AM
Since you like Olympus, the SP series (see their website) should be perfect. As Liesje said earlier, manual modes are critical for concert shooting. The SP has "Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual", so that will work. I'll put it on my list as well, but I'll wait to decide because new models might come out for various brands. Also, for cameras in this price range, ISO 400 is probably the highest one can go without high noise levels. Although, ISO 400 is frequently not high enough for dark scenes.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popbellydancer View Post
i'm usually rail...so shouldn't be a problem!
You KNOW I have to roll my eyes at this post dont you?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #19
has a

Local Time: 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
Since you like Olympus, the SP series (see their website) should be perfect. As Liesje said earlier, manual modes are critical for concert shooting. The SP has "Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual", so that will work. I'll put it on my list as well, but I'll wait to decide because new models might come out for various brands. Also, for cameras in this price range, ISO 400 is probably the highest one can go without high noise levels. Although, ISO 400 is frequently not high enough for dark scenes.
Here's a clip from the CNET.com article that sold me on the Fuji F30. Like I said earlier, I really just want a point-n-shoot that will fair well at a concert.

"Of course, low noise is supposed to be this camera's claim to fame, and indeed, it performed very well in our tests. At ISO 100 and ISO 200, the F30 had very low noise with only a few speckles showing up in very dark colors. At ISO 400, noise jumps a bit, becoming noticeable but not distracting. At ISO 800 and above, there is a just noticeable loss of sharpness. This could be an effect of the noise, though it seems like a side effect of Fuji's noise-reduction image processing. That means that at ISO 800, noise is only slightly more prevalent than at ISO 400 and remains well under control. By ISO 1,600, noise becomes obvious, but 8.5x11-inch prints we made were definitely usable. By ISO 3,200, noise obscured significant amounts of image detail and yielded prints that were generally unacceptable but might be OK in extreme circumstances. For example, while I'd prefer not to use ISO 3,200 with this camera, if I had to choose between capturing a shot of Britney Spears dropping her baby again or missing the moment, I'd use the F30's ISO 3,200 and probably still be able to get the National Enquirer to buy the image.

As highly sensitive compact digital cameras go, the Fujifilm FinePix F30 definitely reaches new heights in usability in low-light situations. After all, many compacts still can't provide usable photos at ISO 400, let alone ISO 800 or ISO 1,600. While the rest of the camera's design and features might not be cutting edge, they're certainly adequate, and the versatility added by usable higher ISOs makes this camera a great choice for low-light shooters who don't want an SLR."

Mark--- for what it's worth.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:10 AM
^The F30 shoots great in low light, but it uses a cheaper lens and autofocus than the superzooms. So it may not produce as many sharp shots - it's a tradeoff I guess. I've seen some nice panoramic concert shots with it, but some closeups were fairly soft.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:00 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
You KNOW I have to roll my eyes at this post dont you?

well, what can i say? i've spent the better part of my life sleeping on concrete!!

i find if you put in the time (and there's not a lottery) rail is what happens!

however, considering the fact that we don't know if there will be another lottery on this tour (which will cause me to trade some GA's for seats) a good zoom prob isn't a bad idea.

thanks to everyone for their ongoing suggestions!!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 AM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetravis View Post
Take a look at the FujiFilm S8000fd That has a 18x optical zoom with anti-shake

I have this camera too.