Anti-virus for Macs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladywithspinninghead

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Hi guys,

Since purchasing my beloved Mac last December, I haven't installed any anti-virus programme but I was at a course this past week and the instructor said it will just be a matter of time before a virus is unleashed on our computers.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you have installed anti-virus and if so, which do you recommend?

Thanks!

I've had Macs for 10 years or so now and I've never used anti-virus. That does not mean that your professor is wrong; maybe I'll need it one day soon...but for now, no.

I may be completely wrong, but I was under the assumption that Macs were designed in such a way that there essentially already is "virus protection" included, it's just not a piece of software as PC users are used to. Even if some sort of virus was developed to attack Macs, no virus protection software presently available would probably be able to do anything to stop it at this point.

Hell, I don't use any anti-virus protection when I'm on Windows, much less Mac or Linux. But I very rarely use Windows for web browsing, and I use Firefox when I do. I take Linux 'out and about' and really only use Windows for Flight Simming (yes, I'm nerdy like that).

I do run one on my Mac, because we got it for free back when I was in law school. It's Sophos...never had any problems and I doubt that I need it, but it isn't as if it's sucking up any resources anyway.

I may be completely wrong, but I was under the assumption that Macs were designed in such a way that there essentially already is "virus protection" included, it's just not a piece of software as PC users are used to.

Not really, it's just a totally different system, and since PCs are the huge majority, people creating viruses are going to create them on the most commonly used platform. I wouldn't use one *unless* you are plugging in random devices where you haven't had full control over what's on them. Since I do repairs and restores on hard drives, memory cards, USB devices, etc I have antivirus on all my computers and I've actually had more viruses on my Macs. :shrug:

My company just offered us free Malvare prevention products and techniques for our personal omputers, including Macs.:ohmy:

:up:

Back
Top Bottom