Amazon's New Kindle Fire - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
has a

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Amazon's New Kindle Fire

Anyone thinking about one of these?

$199 is ridiculously cheap, but I'm curious about how tight the leash is to Amazon's content.
I have been toying with the idea of a new iPod Touch for myself, but these are cheaper and could be awesome. 8GB of memory is doable with some management.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:54 AM
Is it a tablet? This could be really interesting.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
has a

Quote:
Technical Details

Display-- 7" multi-touch display with IPS (in-plane switching) technology and anti-reflective treatment, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi, 16 million colors.

Size (in inches)-- 7.5" x 4.7" x 0.45" (190 mm x 120 mm x 11.4 mm).

Weight-- 14.6 ounces (413 grams).

System Requirements-- None, because it's wireless and doesn't require a computer.

On-device Storage-- 8GB internal. That's enough for 80 apps, plus either 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books.

Cloud Storage-- Free cloud storage for all Amazon content

Battery Life-- Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as web browsing and downloading content.

Charge Time-- Fully charges in approximately 4 hours via included U.S. power adapter. Also supports charging from your computer via USB.

Wi-Fi Connectivity-- Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, or 802.1X standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.

USB Port-- USB 2.0 (micro-B connector)

Audio-- 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, top-mounted stereo speakers.

Content Formats Supported-- Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8.

Documentation-- Quick Start Guide(included in box); Kindle User's Guide (pre-installed on device)

Warranty and Service 1-year limited warranty and service included. Optional 2-year Extended Warranty available for U.S. customers sold separately. Use of Kindle is subject to the terms found here.

Included in the Box-- Kindle Fire device, U.S. power adapter (supports 100-240V), and Quick Start Guide.
No camera or mic, so it's only a browsing and media tablet.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:54 PM
It looks cool. I am still thinking about an e-reader and they're coming out with a 3G Kindle Touch. I don't have wireless at home and I have enough tech problems without worrying about dealing with a router. Plus you can download a book with 3G if you're in the most random spot that has no wireless. It can be very spotty but when it works it's great. So if I ask for one for Christmas maybe the 3G is the way to go.

The Nook Color (which is also more of a tablet but probably not on the level of Fire, I don't know) and the newer touchscreen Nook don't have 3G. I think the Kindle Touch 3G is 139 or 149 with the "special offer" ads. Does anyone know if those are really annoying?
Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:54 PM
I think they unveiled a much more useful device to a lot less fanfare: the 3G Kindle Touch, and the fact that Amazon finally teamed up w/ Overdrive for Library ebook lending, and the rumor of ebook subscriptions coming soon sounds like the perfect device for me. Tiny, readable, month long battery life, and free data access in 100+ countries far outweighs Amazon's crippled home tablet attempt. Just so everyone knows, there is no access to the full Android market, it's software is based off of a nearly 2 year old build of Android, the input is only 2 point (versus iPad's 10) and it's built by the same people that made RIM's PlayBook (hence why they look exactly the same).
Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

The special offers aren't really outside advertisements, they're just pretty cool discounts from Amazon.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm leaning towards getting a Kindle touch. I already have a smart phone and an iPod Tourch so I only need an eReader and the Kindle is so much easier on my eyes than a regular tablet.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:10 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

The ironic thing about the Fire is that it's a Kindle with a colour screen; in other words exactly what I needed. A Kindle that can handle PDFs.

Then they go and make it narrow enough in portrait orientation that reading PDFs will be impractical unless you flip it sideways to landscape.

Euh, I think I will pass.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Without cam/mic I'll pass until the next go, but this is the first tablet I've had a remote interest in.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
The ironic thing about the Fire is that it's a Kindle with a colour screen; in other words exactly what I needed. A Kindle that can handle PDFs.

Then they go and make it narrow enough in portrait orientation that reading PDFs will be impractical unless you flip it sideways to landscape.

Euh, I think I will pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Without cam/mic I'll pass until the next go, but this is the first tablet I've had a remote interest in.
I really only look at it as a great replacement for an old iPod Touch. I forget the new Touches have cameras. As a personal entertainment device (not a communications device), it's looks to be pretty damn good.

And, that sucks about fitting PDFs, but the price is
Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

The price is so damn sexy, and I'm pretty happy with the Amazon Appstore, especially the free app a day
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Would someone mind explaining Overdrive to me? I'm pretty behind on the subject of eBooks, and I'm not quite following this.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Overdrive is a software system that libraries use to 'lend out' copies of ebooks they own to their members. You don't even have to go to the actual library to download them, just do it at home when it's available.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Would someone mind explaining Overdrive to me? I'm pretty behind on the subject of eBooks, and I'm not quite following this.
OverDrive is a delivery system for eBooks. Think of it like iTunes. It's a secure method for publishers to get their books onto your device because it includes digital rights management (copy protection).

The Kindle app is another example of this. Amazon releases Kindle eBooks in a protected format so that you can only use them inside the Kindle family of applications. Kindle for your desktop PC, Kindle for iPad / iPod Touch, the actual Kindle reader, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
Old 10-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

So since I have the kindle app I have access to it?

Tags
amazon, android, app, fire, ipad, ipod, kindle, mp3