Amazon's New Kindle Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazon is shipping new Kindles early. Mine was due to be released on the 21st and is going to ship today or tomorrow. :hyper:

Which one are you getting?

Can you post a review when you get it? My mother wants to get me one for Christmas, and I can't decide if I want the Fire or the 3G touch. One issue for me is the glare of the Fire screen vs the e-ink of the regular touch, especially since I have to wear non prescription reading glasses. I have read on a regular Nook and I really like it.

I have that problem too. I don't have a smartphone so for that reason I'm thinking the Fire might be a good option. My personal laptop screen doesn't bother me that much other than eyestrain from too much use.

Of course the more techie it is the more possible problems. Murphy's Law-at least for me. I also don't like the idea of distracting myself when I should be just using it for reading.

Anyone who has it, is the size an issue? It's the only thing holding me back from saying I for sure want it.

They really have to come up with a solution to make e-readers not suck balls for reading PDFs. If I could read PDFs at near-fullsize in black and white I would be happy. Right now eInk plus the need to zoom in and out on files is a terrible solution.

Anyone get Kindle Fire?

Thinking about getting one. I need an MP3 player, and this is the same price as an iPod touch...so a 7 inch tablet seems like a better deal.

Seems like it fits into jacket pockets and bigger jeans pockets.

That's the thing that's been really making it hard for me to decide if I want this or not. What's the point of getting this vs. the cell phone I already have? I can't quite understand.

The fact that I already have a smartphone, and will be upgrading to a 4G device soon, is why I went with the regular Kindle touch. I can watch vids and surf on my phone with unlimited data.

As for the kindle touch, I freaking love it. It's so compact and easy to read. Ebooks are still a bit pricey, but I'm trying to take advantage of the free classics and might test out prime next year.

The fact that I already have a smartphone, and will be upgrading to a 4G device soon, is why I went with the regular Kindle touch. I can watch vids and surf on my phone with unlimited data.

As for the kindle touch, I freaking love it. It's so compact and easy to read. Ebooks are still a bit pricey, but I'm trying to take advantage of the free classics and might test out prime next year.

I have a 4G smartphone which is why I've decided to stick with the Kindle Touch. I'm already a Prime member, so I intend to take full advantage of the lending library. Now that I've made up my mind, I just don't know if I can hold out until Christmas. :reject:

Saw it today, they have it on display at Staples stores. Definitely pocket friendly for certain ones like jackets, jeans and in summer the cargo shorts.

Anyone know if it comes with anything else besides 1 month free of prime? Like a case or free download credits or something.

Thinking about getting one. I need an MP3 player, and this is the same price as an iPod touch...so a 7 inch tablet seems like a better deal.

If you are buying a device with the playing of MP3s being your top requirement, I think a 7" tablet might be a little bit too big to be completely portable and convenient.

I am going with the Kindle Touch 3G and waiting for a good quality tablet until the prices come down. Or just going with a smartphone for net and all that on the go.

For me you just can't beat the reading display and ease of use of the old style Kindle or Nook, and since I want to focus on reading there's no way I can read books on a phone.

I went to Wal-mart the other day to finally mess with it in person, and I was pretty upset that I couldn't try the browser, and maybe now I know why. Like I've said before, I'm not desperate to have a tablet, I just like Amazon, and have a lot of the products that integrate with the Fire. The thing was, since having a tablet isn't the most important thing in the world to me, I couldn't help but notice there was a vizio tablet right next to it for $200. 8 inch screen, hdmi outputs, and longer battery life. I had a friend take a look at the specs though, and he said it was woefully underpowered, like, he said his Droid had better specs, so I don't know. I just know it's what I asked for for Christmas, the Fire, and I'd hate to end up just sitting on money waiting for the second round to come out instead. I just want something bigger than my phone to play games and watch movies on...

Remember, though, software updates can only do so much on limited hardware specs.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I am a bit suspicious of these articles now coming out condemning the Kindle. When it was first released most reviews pointed out that it wasn't the equivalent of an ipad, but they were still generally favorable. Now, after a month of excellent sales, articles are suddenly trashing it with one even comparing it to the edsel. Why do I get the feeling that Apple is somehow involved here?

I've had my Kindle Fire for nearly a month now and I'm very happy with it. It does exactly what I want it to do. No, it's not the same as an ipad but I knew that going in and I don't think Amazon was targeting people who already had an ipad or were considering buying one. Someday soon I'm sure they will come out with a direct competitor for the ipad but this wasn't supposed to be it. I've read books on it, listened to music on it, and watched videos on it and have had no problems with anything. All these negative articles probably would have persuaded me not to buy it so I'm glad that I got it early.

As for some of the complaints I've seen, here are my thoughts:

Power switch location - yes, it could have been designed better but it is not THAT difficult to avoid hitting it. And even if you do accidentally touch it, it only puts the device in sleep mode so you just tap it again and it's right back on where it was. Not a big deal at all.

Volume control - I don't see what all the whining is about. You tap the screen and there is the volume control. Not difficult at all. If they had put a physical volume control on the outside of the device I'm sure people would be complaining about accidentally touching it just like with the power switch.

Slow internet page loading - I have used it only briefly to web surf but when I did it wasn't noticably slow.

WiFi connectivity - No problems at all with my home WiFi. Haven't tried it anywhere else yet. The people complaining may just have weak WiFi

Lag when advancing a page - I haven't noticed a lag at all while reading but one of my co-workers said he has periodically had that problem on his Fire.

I do agree with the complaints about the screen size making finger navigation difficult especially on some websites and I don't even have 'fat fingers'. But with a 7" screen that's to be expected I think and the solution is a stylus.

Yeah I'm enjoying it. But you know fall 2012 they're releasing the 2nd one...probably lighter, with free 3G like the other 3G kindles, and maybe more storage. Might be tempted to get one if they let you trade in and pay like 50-75 or so.

I wonder if there will ever be a color e-ink version of it? (Well I assume there will be in the next few years)

Yes I read a rumor that they're releasing a 3G Fire, I can't imagine they would make it free 3G with all the movie streaming and downloading and apps and web, etc.

So far I am in love with my Kindle 3G Touch, it's only been 2 days but I am. Of course as soon as I have any issue with it I will want a quickie divorce :wink:

I got the Fire for Xmas too, and so far I am liking it quite a bit, only thing I am missing is in-browser translation. Once I get the update pushed through, I should like it even more!

MrsSpringsteen said:
Yes I read a rumor that they're releasing a 3G Fire, I can't imagine they would make it free 3G with all the movie streaming and downloading and apps and web, etc.

So far I am in love with my Kindle 3G Touch, it's only been 2 days but I am. Of course as soon as I have any issue with it I will want a quickie divorce :wink:

I still love my kindle touch. It's perfect for my commute since it is so compact. I will still use it even now that I have an iPad too.

I know, I can't believe how small it is. Should fit even in a smaller purse.

I'm thinking about a free trial of Prime to see if the lending library would be worth it.

Yes the free shipping is great too. I got a case for $7.99 from buy.com (that was all, no shipping or tax). I'm a cheapskate, and I couldn't see spending $30 or more on one from Amazon. It's bad enough that they charge $10 more for the power adapter (now it's up to 15). I do love Amazon though, great company.

I have read that some public libraries have Kindle books, I know nothing about it. My library doesn't have any. Maybe that's only through an app?

Yeah I'm enjoying it. But you know fall 2012 they're releasing the 2nd one...probably lighter, with free 3G like the other 3G kindles, and maybe more storage. Might be tempted to get one if they let you trade in and pay like 50-75 or so.

I wonder if there will ever be a color e-ink version of it? (Well I assume there will be in the next few years)
that's my plan, trading in when the time comes.

But,yeah, no way the 3g is free.

Back
Top Bottom