Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Read this article before dropping 200 bux on a Kindle Fire:
The Most Common Complaints About the Kindle Fire - Technology - The Atlantic Wire
I went to Wal-mart the other day to finally mess with it in person, and I was pretty upset that I couldn't try the browser, and maybe now I know why. Like I've said before, I'm not desperate to have a tablet, I just like Amazon, and have a lot of the products that integrate with the Fire. The thing was, since having a tablet isn't the most important thing in the world to me, I couldn't help but notice there was a vizio tablet right next to it for $200. 8 inch screen, hdmi outputs, and longer battery life. I had a friend take a look at the specs though, and he said it was woefully underpowered, like, he said his Droid had better specs, so I don't know. I just know it's what I asked for for Christmas, the Fire, and I'd hate to end up just sitting on money waiting for the second round to come out instead. I just want something bigger than my phone to play games and watch movies on...

Old 12-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 02:59 PM
They can probably release updates and patches.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #48
Refugee

And the first update is coming: Amazon: Kindle Fire update coming | Digital Media - CNET News
Old 12-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Remember, though, software updates can only do so much on limited hardware specs.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #50
Acrobat

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I am a bit suspicious of these articles now coming out condemning the Kindle. When it was first released most reviews pointed out that it wasn't the equivalent of an ipad, but they were still generally favorable. Now, after a month of excellent sales, articles are suddenly trashing it with one even comparing it to the edsel. Why do I get the feeling that Apple is somehow involved here?

I've had my Kindle Fire for nearly a month now and I'm very happy with it. It does exactly what I want it to do. No, it's not the same as an ipad but I knew that going in and I don't think Amazon was targeting people who already had an ipad or were considering buying one. Someday soon I'm sure they will come out with a direct competitor for the ipad but this wasn't supposed to be it. I've read books on it, listened to music on it, and watched videos on it and have had no problems with anything. All these negative articles probably would have persuaded me not to buy it so I'm glad that I got it early.

As for some of the complaints I've seen, here are my thoughts:

Power switch location - yes, it could have been designed better but it is not THAT difficult to avoid hitting it. And even if you do accidentally touch it, it only puts the device in sleep mode so you just tap it again and it's right back on where it was. Not a big deal at all.

Volume control - I don't see what all the whining is about. You tap the screen and there is the volume control. Not difficult at all. If they had put a physical volume control on the outside of the device I'm sure people would be complaining about accidentally touching it just like with the power switch.

Slow internet page loading - I have used it only briefly to web surf but when I did it wasn't noticably slow.

WiFi connectivity - No problems at all with my home WiFi. Haven't tried it anywhere else yet. The people complaining may just have weak WiFi

Lag when advancing a page - I haven't noticed a lag at all while reading but one of my co-workers said he has periodically had that problem on his Fire.

I do agree with the complaints about the screen size making finger navigation difficult especially on some websites and I don't even have 'fat fingers'. But with a 7" screen that's to be expected I think and the solution is a stylus.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:06 AM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

I love it. Soo happy.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #52
Refugee

Yeah I'm enjoying it. But you know fall 2012 they're releasing the 2nd one...probably lighter, with free 3G like the other 3G kindles, and maybe more storage. Might be tempted to get one if they let you trade in and pay like 50-75 or so.

I wonder if there will ever be a color e-ink version of it? (Well I assume there will be in the next few years)
Old 12-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Yes I read a rumor that they're releasing a 3G Fire, I can't imagine they would make it free 3G with all the movie streaming and downloading and apps and web, etc.

So far I am in love with my Kindle 3G Touch, it's only been 2 days but I am. Of course as soon as I have any issue with it I will want a quickie divorce
Old 12-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I got the Fire for Xmas too, and so far I am liking it quite a bit, only thing I am missing is in-browser translation. Once I get the update pushed through, I should like it even more!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen
Yes I read a rumor that they're releasing a 3G Fire, I can't imagine they would make it free 3G with all the movie streaming and downloading and apps and web, etc.

So far I am in love with my Kindle 3G Touch, it's only been 2 days but I am. Of course as soon as I have any issue with it I will want a quickie divorce
I still love my kindle touch. It's perfect for my commute since it is so compact. I will still use it even now that I have an iPad too.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

I know, I can't believe how small it is. Should fit even in a smaller purse.

I'm thinking about a free trial of Prime to see if the lending library would be worth it.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen
I know, I can't believe how small it is. Should fit even in a smaller purse.

I'm thinking about a free trial of Prime to see if the lending library would be worth it.
I just started it for the lending library and streaming content. And for free shipping for the sleeve I just bought.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Yes the free shipping is great too. I got a case for $7.99 from buy.com (that was all, no shipping or tax). I'm a cheapskate, and I couldn't see spending $30 or more on one from Amazon. It's bad enough that they charge $10 more for the power adapter (now it's up to 15). I do love Amazon though, great company.

I have read that some public libraries have Kindle books, I know nothing about it. My library doesn't have any. Maybe that's only through an app?
Old 12-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #59
Refugee

How are the cases so cheap on buy.com?
Old 12-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLanePHINS View Post
Yeah I'm enjoying it. But you know fall 2012 they're releasing the 2nd one...probably lighter, with free 3G like the other 3G kindles, and maybe more storage. Might be tempted to get one if they let you trade in and pay like 50-75 or so.

I wonder if there will ever be a color e-ink version of it? (Well I assume there will be in the next few years)
that's my plan, trading in when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

But,yeah, no way the 3g is free.

Tags
amazon, android, app, fire, ipad, ipod, kindle, mp3