Amazon's New Kindle Fire - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 12:26 PM
The price and look does make it very tempting. However, I'll probably end up ordering the Kindle Touch 3G. I just have to decide whether or not to fork over the additional $40 for the one without the special offers.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
So since I have the kindle app I have access to it?

I don't think so, I'm not sure how they implemented it with Kindle, they just rolled it out last month. But it has been on a number of different platforms for years, what kind of device are you using? There are dedicated Overdrive apps for iOS, Blackberry, Windows Phone 7 and Android. It also interfaces with any dedicated ereader that can read ePub format, like Sony's, Kobo, and Nook.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyJ View Post
The price and look does make it very tempting. However, I'll probably end up ordering the Kindle Touch 3G. I just have to decide whether or not to fork over the additional $40 for the one without the special offers.
Read about the special offers, they're not intrusive at all and they're actually awesome exclusive deals from Amazon that end up paying off the cost of device most times.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 AM
I checked on amazon.com and the special offers are only on the screensaver and the home page. They say it doesn't interrupt reading at all.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
I really only look at it as a great replacement for an old iPod Touch. I forget the new Touches have cameras...
the camera on my ipod touch is pretty lame.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
I don't think so, I'm not sure how they implemented it with Kindle, they just rolled it out last month. But it has been on a number of different platforms for years, what kind of device are you using? There are dedicated Overdrive apps for iOS, Blackberry, Windows Phone 7 and Android. It also interfaces with any dedicated ereader that can read ePub format, like Sony's, Kobo, and Nook.
I just have the Kindle app that game with my G2 , I haven't even opened the thing in months, tbh.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVelvetDress_75 View Post
the camera on my ipod touch is pretty lame.
For still photos it's not great, but the iPod Touch (4th gen) is perfectly capable for Skype video calls and for capturing that crazy guy on the subway to upload to Youtube.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Has anyone looked into Amazon Silk yet? Watching a video about it (not of actual use) and it seems like, if it actually works the way they say it will, it'll be pretty sweet.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Also does it seem to anyone else that the letter that Amazon has up on their front page right now look like it's taking potshots at Netflix's CEO?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Has anyone looked into Amazon Silk yet? Watching a video about it (not of actual use) and it seems like, if it actually works the way they say it will, it'll be pretty sweet.
Other than the fact that it's super creepy, yeah it's pretty cool. Mobile Opera works in a similar, yet less big-brothery way.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I just have the Kindle app that game with my G2 , I haven't even opened the thing in months, tbh.
G2 is Android right? There's a dedicated Overdrive app for Android, so you wouldn't have to worry about figuring out how to use it on Kindle.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24

G2 is Android right? There's a dedicated Overdrive app for Android, so you wouldn't have to worry about figuring out how to use it on Kindle.
Ah, OK. I'll check it out.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

I want to get a dedicated black and white ereader, but I think I will be holding off until the eink technology advances a little bit more:

Bookeen breakthrough real time web page scrolling on eInk panel - YouTube

Something like that (currently in development) would be decent for PDF files that you need to zoom in on/
Old 10-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Now of course B&N has a tablet

msnbc.com

Today at a press event in New York, Barnes & Noble confirmed that the follow-up to the Nook Color would be the Nook Tablet. If that sounds familiar, it's because this news was leaked last week. Here are the salient details, which we're covering via a live video stream:

It really does look exactly like the Nook Color — same size, with 7-inch screen. But the screen is supposed to be better than the one on Amazon's Kindle Fire. And the Nook Tablet is lighter in weight and has a faster processor than its predecessor: a 1GHz chip with 1GB of RAM. It will have 16GB of memory plus an SD slot for an extra 32GB.

Pre-ordering begins now, and the device will ship Nov. 18. It will be sold at "leading retailers" this holiday season.

Barnes & Noble's CEO William Lynch calls the upcoming Kindle Fire "deficient," saying it has too little storage, less RAM and a cheaper screen. Lynch goes so far as to say that his product, which costs $50 more, is a "much better value than the Kindle Fire."

The Nook Cloud service will be available to backup content and share some data, which Barnes & Noble says will be secure (taking a dig at Amazon). However, they're not particularly clear on what the Nook Cloud service can do, at this point, so we'll have to follow up.

Netflix and Hulu Plus are included, and there's support for 1080p video. The screen itself is not 1080p, but they stream Netflix in 720p. Despite the richer media, there's nine hours of video plus 11.5 hours of reading time.

B&N will have more than 250 interactive magazines, including titles from Conde Nast, Time Inc and Meredith. There will be a huge collection of comics as well (apparently the most Marvel titles on any tablet), and there's a redesigned reading app to improve the old black-and-white text experience. And while the Nook Color was already pitching colorful children's books as a selling point, the Nook Tablet has a built-in microphone so that you can record your own voice to kid content.

Barnes & Noble pledges free support at their local stores, with Nook Digital Store kiosks in most stores that have 2,000 square feet or more.

The Nook Color, which drops to $199, will get a free update with 100 new features, including many of the ones found in the Tablet.

The Nook Simple Touch e-ink reader will get a new display that makes it 25 percent faster than any other similar reader. Existing customers will get the update to speed up page turns too. (The update will come over Wi-Fi in the background in the coming weeks — users don't do anything.)

Starting today, the Simple Touch will now sell for $99 — without "distracting ads." That's another dig at Amazon, which has lowered the price of its e-ink devices by using promotions.

Tags
amazon, android, app, fire, ipad, ipod, kindle, mp3