Your Favorite Movies - YLB Memorial Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
I feel like it's been a while since we've done this, and my searches for posts of mine with the words "American Beauty" in them seem to back that up.

Anyways, I know the Favorite Movies threads are always a good source of conversation and I hate when it gets really slow in Zoo Station.

Plus, I haven't updated my list in like 3 years, so now I'm going to look like an ass if I don't post one here soon.

Please, enjoy, discuss, etc.

Please?

My favorite movies... that would be such a long long list...

I'd say Vertigo is high on my list.

The Shining.

12 Angry Men.

I can't do it. Seriously, the list would be too long. But those 3 movies are always high on my lists.

Celine And Julie Go Boating (Rivette, 1974)
Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)
Reds (Beatty, 1981)
The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp (Powell & Pressburger, 1943)
Once Upon A Time In America (Leone, 1984)
The English Patient (Minghella, 1996)
Days Of Heaven (Malick, 1978)
Barton Fink (Coens, 1991)
Stardust Memories (Allen, 1980)
Touch Of Evil (Welles, 1958)
The Holy Mountain (Jodorowsky, 1974)
Three Colors: Red (Kieslowski, 1994)
Days Of Being Wild (Wong, 1990)
Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2002)
The Conformist (Bertolucci, 1970)
City Of Pirates (Ruiz, 1983)
The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse (Lang, 1933)
The Manchurian Candidate (Frankenheimer, 1962)

Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)
Reds (Beatty, 1981)
The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp (Powell & Pressburger, 1943)
Once Upon A Time In America (Leone, 1984)
The English Patient (Minghella, 1996)
Days Of Heaven (Malick, 1978)
Barton Fink (Coens, 1991)
Touch Of Evil (Welles, 1958)
Three Colors: Red (Kieslowski, 1994)
Days Of Being Wild (Wong, 1990)
Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2002)
The Conformist (Bertolucci, 1970)
City Of Pirates (Ruiz, 1983)
The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse (Lang, 1933)
The Manchurian Candidate (Frankenheimer, 1962)

Excellent movies. It's been a while since i saw Barton Fink. Need to do it asap.

Last week, i watched (again) 2 movies that are some of my favorites too: The Hustler and Plein Soleil (i think it's called Purple Noon in the USA).

Off the top of my head....

Blade Runner
Primer
Chinatown
Glengarry Glen Ross
Dr. Strangelove
Eyes Wide Shut
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
The Straight Story
Mulholland Dr.
Back to the Future trilogy
Before Sunrise/Sunset

Apocalypse Now
Godfather I and II
Chinatown
Network
In the Mood for Love
The New World
The Empire Strikes Back
Vertigo
Chariots of Fire
The Right Stuff
Manhattan
Broadcast News
There Will Be Blood
Once Upon a Time in America
Raging Bull
In the Loop
Le Samourai
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Zodiac
The Before Trilogy

you know, like all of us that will post here, on and on....but off the top of my head, that's a decent of my upper echelon of beloved films.

I don't think those have been mentioned:

A Clockwork Orange
Rear Window
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Rosemary's Baby
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Usual Suspects
Rocco e i suoi Fratelli
Risky Business (yea, i really think it's a classic)

YLB would mention Big Trouble in Little China.

The Game is a personal favorite of mine....and this is favorite films, not "best films EVAR" so there you have it.

Van Cleef, I almost added Clockwork to my list but rolled with 2001.

YLB would mention Big Trouble in Little China.

The Game is a personal favorite of mine....and this is favorite films, not "best films EVAR" so there you have it.

Van Cleef, I almost added Clockwork to my list but rolled with 2001.

The Game with Michael Douglas? Excellent movie. 2001 as well. Pretty much any Kubrick could make my list.

Actually saw The Testment of Dr. Mabuse quite recently, Laz. Lang is out of this world.

Not strictly ranked after the first, since that kind of thing can change on a whim.

Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953)
An Autumn Afternoon (Ozu, 1962)
Taste of Cherry (Kiarostami, 1997)
Flight of the Red Balloon (Hou, 2007)
Certified Copy (Kiarostami, 2010)
The New World (Malick, 2005)
Tokyo Twilight (Ozu, 1957)
Hiroshima Mon Amour (Resnais, 1959)
The Cranes and Flying (Kalatozov, 1957)
Only Angels Have Wings (Hawks, 1939)
In the Mood for Love (Wong, 2001)
35 Shots of Rum (Denis, 2008)
La Notte (Antonioni, 1961)
The End of Summer (Ozu, 1961)
Floating Clouds (Naruse, 1955)
My Night at Maud's (Rohmer, 1969)
Once Upon a Time in the West (Leone, 1969)
Flowers of Shanghai (Hou, 1998)
The Big Sleep (Hawks, 1946)
Carlito's Way (De Palma, 1993)
Tropical Malady (Weerasethakul, 2004)
Imitation of Life (Sirk, 1959)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
Psycho (Hitchcock, 1960)
Cafe Lumiere (Hou, 2003)
California Split (Altman, 1974)
Tabu (Murnau, 1931)
Jeanne Dielman (Akerman, 1975)
Dead Ringers (Cronenberg, 1988)
Mulholland Dr. (Lynch, 2001)
Late Spring (Ozu, 1949)
The Gold Rush (Chaplin, 1925)
Topsy-Turvy (Leigh, 1999)
The Life of Oharu (Mizoguchi, 1952)
Nights of Cabiria (Fellini, 1957)
Journey to Italy (Rossellini, 1954)
What Time is it There? (Tsai, 2001)
The Philadelphia Story (Cukor, 1940)
Lola (Fassbinder, 1981)
Yi Yi (Yang, 2000)
Touch of Evil (Welles, 1958)
Dressed to Kill (De Palma, 1980)
Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? (Tashlin, 1957)
Mystery Train (Jarmusch, 1989)
Seven Chances (Keaton, 1925)
The Sun's Burial (Oshima, 1960)
Harakiri (Kobayashi, 1962)
His Girl Friday (Hawks, 1940)
The Earrings of Madame De... (Ophuls, 1953)
A Touch of Zen (Hu, 1971)

I think that's just 50. I'm already thinking of ones that should be on there instead though, but fuck it. Off the top of my head, more representative than strictly accurate, again.

Yeah, I forgot to mention in the first post that I was looking for like top 25/top 50,bit it's no big deal, happy to see posting in here.

I'll be back to comment more.

12 Angry Men.

I can't do it. Seriously, the list would be too long. But those 3 movies are always high on my lists.

Definitely a favorite of mine as well. I have awesome memories of watching that movie for the first time, because it was one of those moments where I was caught up in the film with rapt fascination from the very beginning and I watched every twist and turn anxious to see what would happen next. It's doubly cool to think that I felt that edge of your seat watching a movie that takes place, basically, in a single room over the course of an afternoon.

1) I can't believe I still haven't seen this. Jules and Jim either, for that matter (not that they have anything to do with each other, I just associate them because of their titles).

2) Really? I haven't even come close to watching that one yet (I may have flipped it on on Netflix once and watched for about 10 minutes, but that's about it). I'm woefully ignorant of his filmography, outside of the majors, though.

3) Thanks to you, one of the few films I've actually watched twice in a row (the second time with commentary). I was so fascinated with it, I'm almost tempted to include it on my list as well.

[/quote]

Definitely a favorite of mine as well. I have awesome memories of watching that movie for the first time, because it was one of those moments where I was caught up in the film with rapt fascination from the very beginning and I watched every twist and turn anxious to see what would happen next. It's doubly cool to think that I felt that edge of your seat watching a movie that takes place, basically, in a single room over the course of an afternoon.
One of the very reasons it's a big fave for me. Rope by Hitchcock being another example of a film shot basically in a single room in "real time".

I didn't include any Dreyer, Bresson (top 10), Varda, Anthony Mann, Michael Mann, Panahi, Makhmalbaf, John Ford, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Ruiz, Lang, Dassin, Nick Ray, Satyajit Ray, Ghatak, Imamura, Suzuki, Reygadas, Carpenter and a million others.

I actually meant to include Order and Pickpocket from Dreyer and Bresson respectively, though. To take that into careful consideration.

Because it is that important, NSW.

I didn't include any Dreyer, Bresson (top 10), Varda, Anthony Mann, Michael Mann, Panahi, Makhmalbaf, John Ford, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Ruiz, Lang, Dassin, Nick Ray, Satyajit Ray, Ghatak, Imamura, Suzuki, Reygadas, Carpenter and a million others.

I actually meant to include Order and Pickpocket from Dreyer and Bresson respectively, though. To take that into careful consideration.

Michael Mann! Thief (excellent soundtrack by Tangerine Dream) and Heat are 2 big faves of mine.

And Collateral has what i think is one of the best Tom Cruise performances.

One of the very reasons it's a big fave for me. Rope by Hitchcock being another example of a film shot basically in a single room in "real time".

Yep, I'm a big fan of that film as well, and certainly for the same reasons.

You know, I could pick at this list for days, weeks, months, but eating and sleeping is important to me, so I'll leave it alone.

1. The Godfather (Coppola, 1972)
2. Pulp Fiction (Tarantino, 1994)
3. American Beauty (Mendes, 1999)
4. Psycho (Hitchcock, 1960)
5. Casablanca (Curtiz, 1942)
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Gondry, 2004)
7. The Graduate (Nichols, 1967)
8. Sunset Blvd. (Wilder, 1950)
9. The Shining (Kubrick, 1980)
10. The Lives of Others (Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006
11. The Great Escape (Sturges, 1963)
12. Toy Story (Lasseter, 1995)
13. Annie Hall (Allen, 1977)
14. Unforgiven (Eastwood, 1992)
15. Groundhog Day (Ramis, 1993)
16. Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
17. Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Kubrick, 1963)
18. All About Eve (Mankiewicz, 1950)
19. The Elephant Man (Lynch, 1980)
20. Forrest Gump (Zemeckis, 1994)
21. The Seventh Seal (Bergman, 1957)
22. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (Nichols, 1966)
23. Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
24. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (Leone, 1966)
25. Dog Day Afternoon (Lumet, 1975)
26. After Hours (Scorsese, 1985)
27. Donnie Darko (Kelly, 2001)
28. Zodiac (Fincher, 2007)
29. 12 Angry Men (Lumet, 1957)
30. Star Wars IV: A New Hope (Lucas, 1977)
31. WALL-E (Stanton, 2008)
32. Raging Bull (Scorsese, 1980)
33. Hannah and Her Sisters (Allen, 1986)
34. The Shawshank Redemption (Darabont, 1994)
35. The Big Lebowski (Coen, 1998)
36. Repulsion (Polanski, 1965)
37. Network (Lumet, 1976)
38. There Will Be Blood (Anderson, 2007)
39. Fargo (Coen, 1996)
40. Ed Wood (Burton, 1994)
41. The Usual Suspects (Singer, 1995)
42. Touch of Evil (Welles, 1958)
43. Audition (Miike, 1999)
44. The Sixth Sense (Shyamalan, 1999)
45. Jaws (Spielberg, 1975)
46. Inception (Nolan, 2010)
47. Eraserhead (Lynch, 1997)
48. Stand by Me (Reiner, 1986)
49. Princess Mononoke (Miyazaki, 1997)
50. Witness for the Prosecution (Wilder, 1957)

I couldn't choose just one Mann film. If forced to pick I'd likely go with Heat. Wait, for sure, Heat. Because you know, for me, the action is the juice.

1) I can't believe I still haven't seen this. Jules and Jim either, for that matter (not that they have anything to do with each other, I just associate them because of their titles).

2) Really? I haven't even come close to watching that one yet (I may have flipped it on on Netflix once and watched for about 10 minutes, but that's about it). I'm woefully ignorant of his filmography, outside of the majors, though.

3) Thanks to you, one of the few films I've actually watched twice in a row (the second time with commentary). I was so fascinated with it, I'm almost tempted to include it on my list as well.

1. It hasn't been released on DVD in the U.S., so it's not readily accessible. There was a new print touring the country last year, so hopefully it will be out in the not-too-distant future.

2. I think it has Woody Allen's most striking visuals (no surprise, as its main influence was Fellini's 8 1/2), and it's a great blend of the earlier broad comedy and his more introspective work. Critics savaged it because he dared to portray obsessive fans in a grotesque light, but he was being bravely honest. Plus the scene with Louis Armstrong's Stardust playing is one of my favorites in all of cinema

3. Good to hear.

I've always considered The Insider to be one of Mann's best.

Pacino is at his scenery-chewing best and while I do not like Russel Crowe all that much I have always felt he deserved the Oscar for thid instead of A Beautiful Mind.

Mulholland Drive and Mysteries of Lisbon belong on my list.

I posted this from a BBQ. It was that important.

Nice. I selected City Of Pirates for my Ruiz entry but Mysteries is one that will definitely keep growing for me over the years.

I downloaded the longer television version (which I think runs 6 hours instead of 4+), so I'll be back to report on that once I see it.

Did you ever get ahold of Three Crowns Of The Sailor? Or his adaptation of Proust's Time Regained?

Mysteries of Lisbon based on a great book. Indeed, another fave of mine.

Are you Portugese? I wasn't aware the source material was well-known outside of its home country.

Some of my favorite filmmakers don't have anything specific that quite scales the heights for me: Scorsese, Preminger, Minnelli, Renoir, Tarkovsky, Ford, etc. But they would all be popping up on a list expanded out to 30+ I imagine.

Lists like these are tough because my gut says I enjoy several more Rivette, Welles, Powell & Pressburger films than most anything else I could list and should have put more in there, but we all have that competing impulse to spread the love around. I'm glad to see you didn't hold back when it comes to Ozu, especially the mention of the underrated Tokyo Twilight. Personally I feel the stuff on that Late Ozu set can be put right up there with his earlier masterworks.

Nice. I selected City Of Pirates for my Ruiz entry but Mysteries is one that will definitely keep growing for me over the years.

I downloaded the longer television version (which I think runs 6 hours instead of 4+), so I'll be back to report on that once I see it.

Did you ever get ahold of Three Crowns Of The Sailor? Or his adaptation of Proust's Time Regained?

Oh shit please do report back on the television version. I hate to use a phrase like "I find that film to be totally intoxicating" but that's apt for me as it pertains to Mysteries.

I have both Three Crowns and Time Regained on DVD, acquired recently as it turns out, hoping to watch over the next few weeks. My TV viewing is being dominated by my finally watching The Sopranos. Halfway through Season 2 at this point.

Are you Portugese? I wasn't aware the source material was well-known outside of its home country

No, i'm not portuguese. But i spent a great deal of my childhood in Ilha da Madeira (Madeira Island) and there i discovered some great portuguese books and writers like Camilo Castelo Branco, Eça de Queiroz (my favourite."Os Maias" is a top 3 book for me) etc

I was thinking of a movie that had a great emotional impact over me some years ago: Les Choristes (2004) by french director Christophe Barratier.

And my 2 favorite movies as a kid: First Men in the Moon (1964) and, of course, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971).

Off the top of my head...

Jaws
Sleuth
Stalag 17
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Empire Strikes Back
Little Miss Sunshine
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Stripes
Caddyshack
The Graduate