Your Favorite Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Off the top of my head:

Heaven
The Commitments
Control
Love actually
Schindler's list
Brokeback mountain
In America
American beauty
The Godfather
Lost in translation
Pulp fiction
Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
Good bye Lenin!
The man without a past
Hable con ella
Todo sobre mi madre
La mala educacion
Edward Scissorhands

I know I forgot many great movies from this list.

Two lists so far that list The Godfather and The Godfather Part II right next to one another.

Do we really think these two films are of equal quality, or is this one of those LOTR/Kill Bill cases? (technically it isn't, but is that the line of thought?)

LOTR and Kill Bill were both done by their filmmakers with a lot more creative control, and also filmed at the same time, with the same aesthetic and intention.

The Godfather was totally controlled by the studio, with Coppola fearing for his job at every turn. Now that didn't prevent it from being a great film, but the sequel (which wasn't even planned until the success of the original) was where Coppola pretty much had carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, however he wanted. It's a much more passionate, personal, and expressive film. Now from a perspective of plot mechanics and acting, some people don't enjoy it as much. But it is in no way the same film.

Can't resist the lists. Just gonna list them as I think of them, only number 1 is in it's correct spot. I'm gonna disregard the last 25 years or so, cuz you guys have it covered pretty well, and I've been on a big TCM kick the last year or so. Seen a lot of stuff I haven't in many years, so I'm giving them a little credit here. I'll list directors I know.

Dr. Strangelove (Kubrick)
Barry Lyndon (Kubrick)
Last of the Mohicans (M. Mann)
Raging Bull (Scorsese)
The Great Escape (Sturges)
Some Like it Hot (Wilder)
Touch of Evil (Welles)
Lady from Shanghai (Welles)
White Heat (Walsh)
Manhattan (Allen)
Broadway Danny Rose (Allen)
Mister Roberts (Ford/Leroy?)
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (Ford)
Fort Apache (Ford)
My Darling Clementine (Ford)
They Were Expendable (Ford)
Drums Along the Mohawk (Ford)
Man's Favorite Sport? (Hawks)
The Thing (Hawks)
Life of Brian
Lord of the Rings
Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Huston)
Key Largo (Huston)
War & Peace (Vidor)
The Egg & I
Too Many Husbands
Rear Window (Hitchcock)
Lifeboat (Hitchcock)
Star Wars
American Graffiti (Lucas)
Magnum Force
La Cage aux Folles
Outlaw Josey Wales
Dirty Dozen (Aldrich)
Billy Budd
Battles of Chief Pontiac
The Longest Yard (Aldrich)
Kiss of Death - Widmark version. Hope you've seen this one Laz :)
7 Faces of Dr. Lao (Pal)
Jason and the Argonauts (Harryhausen version)
The Wild Bunch (Peckinpah)
A Face in the Crowd (Kazan)
On the Waterfront (Kazan)
Magnificent Seven (Sturges)
Throne of Blood (Kurosawa)
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
How the West was Won
The Far Country (A. Mann)
The Naked Spur (A. Mann)
12 Angry Men (Lumet)
Straitjacket
Captain Newman, MD
The Big Knife (Aldrich)
Night of the Hunter
No Time for Sergeants
March of the Wooden Soldiers
Hamlet (Branagh)
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead
Air Force
West Side Story

That's 60 already, and doesn't include 50's sci fi, Shirley Temple, 30's comedies, and lots of obvious classics like Gone with the wind, wonderful life, wizard of oz, etc. Lots I'm forgetting, and most of the 80's - present :ohmy:

Well, hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go :whistle:

Two lists so far that list The Godfather and The Godfather Part II right next to one another.

Do we really think these two films are of equal quality, or is this one of those LOTR/Kill Bill cases? (technically it isn't, but is that the line of thought?)

LOTR and Kill Bill were both done by their filmmakers with a lot more creative control, and also filmed at the same time, with the same aesthetic and intention.

The Godfather was totally controlled by the studio, with Coppola fearing for his job at every turn. Now that didn't prevent it from being a great film, but the sequel (which wasn't even planned until the success of the original) was where Coppola pretty much had carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, however he wanted. It's a much more passionate, personal, and expressive film. Now from a perspective of plot mechanics and acting, some people don't enjoy it as much. But it is in no way the same film.

I viewed both films right after each other and can't separate them in terms of quality. While Part II may have a more ambitious scope, as Laz mentioned, I felt the performances were better in the Part I, amongst other things. Maybe someday I'll break them up, but as of right now, they stand side-by-side, kicking ass, and taking names.

I enjoy the original Godfather a great deal more than Part II. For me it just has the better atmosphere, more iconic sequences, it has Brando and Caan, and the whole Michael character arc. I don't know, I just love it so much more. It's not even really close for me.

Laz, I've got A Matter of Life and Death torrenting now, so that's good.

I don't know if I can rank them 1-50. I can likely just list 50 favorites, though. It'll be a mix of Laz's, his son's and YLB's, though, so it'll be fairly repetitive, with a few films in there not listed on any of those three. Eh.

2. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
4. Pulp Fiction (1994)
5. Star Wars (1977)
8. The Big Lebowski (1998)
9. There Will Be Blood (2007)
13. GoodFellas (1990)
15. Blade Runner (1982)
16. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
17. Raging Bull (1980)
19. Annie Hall (1977)
20. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
21. Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
23. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
24. Magnolia (1999)
26. Fight Club (1999)
27. Boogie Nights (1997)
28. The Graduate (1967)
29. Modern Times (1936)
30. Vertigo (1958)
31. The Thing (1982)
32. Rear Window (1954)
33. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
34. Rushmore (1998)
35. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
36. Apocalypse Now (1979)
37. Citizen Kane (1941)
38. Children of Men (2006)
39. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
40. This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
43. Gangs of New York (2002)
44. L.A. Confidential (1997)
45. Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985)
46. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
47. Jackie Brown (1997)
48. Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
49. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
50. Reservoir Dogs (1992)

1. Once Upon A Time In The West
2. 2046
3. The New World
4. Once Upon A Time In America
5. Eyes Wide Shut
6. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
7. Blade Runner
8. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
9. Lawrence of Arabia
10. Apocalypse Now
11. Alphaville
12. Alien
13. Days of Being Wild
14. Mulholland Drive
15. Punch-Drunk Love
16. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
17. The Age of Innocence
18. 2001: A Space Odyssey
19. Vertigo
20. Singin' In The Rain
21. Days of Heaven
22. American Graffiti
24. Persona
26. Wings of Desire
27. 8 1/2
28. Le Samurai
29. Gangs of New York
30. Ghost in the Shell

Films I have not seen.

I did not quote Laz's because I literally have not seen a single film in his top fifty. And I've only seen two from Lance's top thirty.

I feel like I'm staring mediocrity in the face.

God, I haven't seen many good films.

Man, I am so glad I have my netflix subscription back, now I just wish I had my new DVD player, but that can wait, i do have a PS2. After I watch Gymkata (not joking, I really rented it) I'm gonna have to go through some of the movies on LMP, Laz, Lance, and whenever he posts, NSW's lists

When I finally get a laptop I'll be able to torrent or whatever the hell YLB does to see all these films. Till then, I'm doing my best with On Demand.

I need to organize these lists into something tangible.

Man, I am so glad I have my netflix subscription back, now I just wish I had my new DVD player, but that can wait, i do have a PS2. After I watch Gymkata (not joking, I really rented it) I'm gonna have to go through some of the movies on LMP, Laz, Lance, and whenever he posts, NSW's lists

Honestly, I'd go right to Laz's, and if Monkeyskin shows up, check his out, too. Then Lance. Anything those three omitted that I included likely is just a personal favorite and not anything worth rushing out to see.

And if you think I like praising the Father and the Son here, trust me, I do not.....but despite their misanthropic ways, their love and knowledge of film has my respect. YLB falls into the same category, but he's more in your boat than anything else, though, he's seen a lot of good shit this past year......and so have I, largely thanks to this forum.

If you're ever completely shit-faced, go to whatever list Dalton conjures up.

Honestly, I'd go right to Laz's, and if Monkeyskin shows up, check his out, too. Then Lance. Anything those three omitted that I included likely is just a personal favorite and not anything worth rushing out to see.

And if you think I like praising the Father and the Son here, trust me, I do not.....but despite their misanthropic ways, their love and knowledge of film has my respect. YLB falls into the same category, but he's more in your boat than anything else, though, he's seen a lot of good shit this past year......and so have I, largely thanks to this forum.

If you're ever completely shit-faced, go to whatever list Dalton conjures up.

Ok I'll do that then, thanks, you know how hard I try to find good movies to watch :) (<-- Not sarcastic.)

:hmm: Dalton films require being shitfaced you say? If I finish the two movies I have today, Gymkata should arrive by Friday...guess I know what I'm doing :whistle:

:)

It was a joke, dick. How many times have I asked you that question.

I assume you're not intelligent enough to remember at all times. You've got enough on your plate remembering how to operate the fry machine.

Disappointed? Fuck no. I was almost moved to tears by a few of the scenes with the younger kids. I say almost cause I knew if I would have cried Chris and Snoop would have buried my ass in a vacant.

Seriously, that show is fucked up beyond measure.

Back
Top Bottom