X-Files 2 Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You excel at being offensive and a jerk and an offensive jerk who offends people.

believe.jpg

Nooooooo I missed that! Must have walked out right before that came on. What was it? Im too impatient until I see the movie again to find out what this is all about lol.

Behind the credits, the camera pans over ice and snow and snow and ice, and then it eventually becomes water, and as the camera pulls farther away, you see an island off in the distance, and you see a boat on the water.

We get closer, and it's Mulder rowing the boat, with Scully lounging next to him in a bikini. As the camera pulls away, they wave up at the camera.

Awwww.

I fail as an X-Files fan as I haven't even it yet. I am hoping to go see it sometime within the next week or so. The bad reviews are really worrying though, as well as the opinions I've heard/read about it. I'd still rather go see it for myself than miss out entirely solely because of that.

Behind the credits, the camera pans over ice and snow and snow and ice, and then it eventually becomes water, and as the camera pulls farther away, you see an island off in the distance, and you see a boat on the water.

We get closer, and it's Mulder rowing the boat, with Scully lounging next to him in a bikini. As the camera pulls away, they wave up at the camera.

Awwww.

Awwwwwwww I can't believe I missed that! How adorable! :cute:

Reviews were horrid, sadly. 31% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I know, I know, nobody cares about reviews, just passing the info along.

:angry::

Helllloooo new Avatar! :love:

The reviews so far have been less than favorable:

The X-Files: I Want to Believe Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

yeouch, 29% at rotten tomatoes :yikes:

But I still want to see this, I'm thinking of taking my wife on Saturday...

I didn't get a chance to go and see it after all, is this a "big screen" picture or can I get away with renting it later?

I didn't get a chance to go and see it after all, is this a "big screen" picture or can I get away with renting it later?

I would definitely wait for DVD unless you must have more Mulder and Scully right this instant! Honestly, that would be the only reason to go and see it on the big screen.

It will lose nothing on a TV.

That being said, I do at least hope that people like Cor and Mia go and enjoy it, critics be damned.

I did and I did :hyper:
Fuck critics. For years the show was considered a "cult hit" when it first came out. I'm one of very few who loved it from the first airing of Pilot.

It's great seeing it with the same people you squee'd over it years ago. It brought a lot to the movie-viewing experience, I think. I think when you're with people like that you tend to just appreciate the movie for what it is and I went in with an opened and less critical mind. It was just great to have an X-Philer reunion with our heroes of the day on the big screen.

I loved it, better than the first even.

I loved it, better than the first even.

Okay, that piqued my curiosity. What did you like more about this one, or what didn't you like about the first one?

I loved the first one, but once the show picked up again it pissed me off that they barely acknowledged anything that happened in the movie. But that was more the show's fault and not the movie.

Okay, that piqued my curiosity. What did you like more about this one, or what didn't you like about the first one?

I loved the first one, but once the show picked up again it pissed me off that they barely acknowledged anything that happened in the movie. But that was more the show's fault and not the movie.

Granted, it has been eons since I've seen Fight the Future, but I'll do a comparison based on the feelings it invoked, since it is usually stronger than memory of specifics.

FTF, to me, felt like it was trying to be this huge summer blockbuster that was reaching for a wider audience. I felt like it was ADD, just jumping from one thing to the next. I wanted the movie to be more intense, but not intense in the sense of more explosions and chases, however more intense on character dynamics, which, I believe was the heart of the series. I didn't despise FTF, I just think if I had both DVDs in hand and had to choose to revisit only one, it would be XF2.

XF2 was definitely more like an extended episode. I loved the little nuggets of joy that were obviously put in there for the fans to appreciate (A wasp sex book on the nightstand!) I liked seeing Mulder and Scully start off together, separate for their own journeys, which, then led them back to each other. To me, their relationship is what the show was really about, not the cases, the chases, the conspiracy. Those are fun moments, but I find more meaning from watching the two main characters develop.

sidenote: at the 2nd bar we went to before the movie, there was an abstract painting hanging on the wall facing us with splashes of colors, lines, and the occasional text. We all noticed the word "HOPE"...and it turns out, that was the theme of the movie! :love:

(A wasp sex book on the nightstand!)

That book is actually WASPs Having Sex (I believe that's the title), and it's a novel written by Dori Carter, Chris Carter's wife. :)

Mulder & Scully relationship wise, yeah, I'd go with the second.

I thought the stand alone story in the second movie was so subpar, however, that it makes me prefer the first movie overall, whether or not it succeeded or failed as a movie that would draw in non-fans.

That book is actually WASPs Having Sex (I believe that's the title), and it's a novel written by Dori Carter, Chris Carter's wife. :)

Mulder & Scully relationship wise, yeah, I'd go with the second.

I thought the stand alone story in the second movie was so subpar, however, that it makes me prefer the first movie overall, whether or not it succeeded or failed as a movie that would draw in non-fans.

Ah thanks! THAT'S the title. I won't forget it now.

You're right, to be honest, I didn't care much about the case itself. But, I think it at least served its purpose.

Oh, and apparently I really missed Mark Snow over the past few years and had no idea until I saw this movie.

I was squeeing because Chris Carter finally let Mulder and Scully be together.

But I felt kind of dirty about my squeeing the next morning, in the harsh light of day.

My review of "The X-Files: I Want to Believe"

I'm a long-time viewer of the series, and was depressed at seeing the show decline quite a lot after the 1998 film, especially the mythology. The stand-alones never held my interest, except the psychic ones, because I never cared for being scared. The mythology episodes had more to them: there was a depth of complicated, yet sometimes mysterious, relationships between Scully and Mulder and the human conspirators.

So, the mythology basically ended brilliantly with Season 6's "Two Fathers"/"One Son" and Season 7's "Sein Und Zeit"/"Closure", but the series generally lacked the quality of Seasons 3 and 4, and what really became obvious was that Mulder and Scully's dynamics were stale from Season 6 on; they tried to throw in comedy to give them something new, and there were a few good episodes, which surpassed the over-rated Season 1. However, Season 7 was a total failure, except the afore-mentioned episodes. Though Season 8 added some new dynamics with the introduction of Doggett and a few of the new mythology stories were fun, it wasn't consistent enough, and Doggett often played a more stubborn, working-class Scully. As I wrote in a Season 9 review, "the characters moved through the dramatic motions in so formulaic a manner, lacking clear motivations, while the stories lacked real plot; scenes and dialogue felt stretched out on purpose. The mythology had become a caricature of itself, employing mystifying dialogue and pointless confrontation to put nothing substantial across, but to serve as ends in themselves."

So, anything that avoided the formula of Scully and Mulder's dynamics would have been a bonus. How many times would Scully contemplate whether Mulder's quest was hers? How often would Mulder feel guilty about that fact and go off on his own? How often would they suspect Skinner? How often would some physical trauma happen to Scully causing her to feel victimized? How often would the X-Files be closed or Mulder and Scully kicked out of the FBI? More importantly, how often could the themes of faith, trust, and paranoia be used with any freshness?

The first film was a failure as a mythology story because it tried to work as a standalone but without all the aspects that made the mythology so effective -- the built-up fascinating characters and their loaded histories with Scully and Mulder and the various theories of what the main characters had seen so far. After the series' best mythology episodes in Season 5's "Redux II", "Patient X" and "The Red and the Black", viewers were greeted with a fairly shallow story. The X-Files was never as much about revelations as about the dramatic interaction of the main characters with the recurring ones like CSM and Krychek, but they were either absent or stripped of any meaningful dialogue. There was also such a self-conscious attempt to dumb things down for excitement purposes: the explosions, the silly bees, the spaceship at the end -- the last of which was never really explained.

Granted this film had a pretty lame suspense quotient and misused Callum Keith Rennie, who is magnificent in Battlestar Galactica, and just wasn't very exciting here. Part of this also stemmed from the low key nature of the story. I have to admire how Carter abandoned all the shock and awe of the previous film and shallow copycats like J.J. Abrams, who is just an awful, superficial producer. Mulder and Scully were on the run from the FBI at the end of the series, so to just have them back in with guns and resources would have been pat. The story was trying something new in having them on their own and they had to rely on basic resources like no guns and Google.com. Carter has also often said that real fright comes from the everyday. So, a collision in daylight with a snow-shovelling truck becomes a terrifying abduction. At least that was the idea. I could admire his restraint the same way I did Bryan Singer's attempts to tone down a super hero story in "Superman Returns", even though they both failed in some ways.

However, for all the lack of thriller action, the movie was really about the relationship between Scully and Mulder, and I was surprised at how fresh the dialogue was and how new the turns in their relationship were, showing how it had grown. Mulder no longer spoke in cheesy stock phrases about how "the truth is out there" (something ardent early seasons' fans forget he did a lot in Seasons 1 and 2, when the dialogue was often poor). There was a subtlety to the ever-present themes that rejuvenated them, and my fear they had been tired out was put to rest. Also, Scully was given a dignity she hadn't known in a professional sense before in that she actually kept her job in the end. In addition, there was an attempt at moral complexity in Billy Connelly's character. Finally, the tender moments and the excellent dialogue between Mulder and Scully were wonderful to see, and was really the most important aspect of any X-Files movie I was going to watch.

Truthfully, their drama felt more real than the relationship between the two leads in "Atonement", although admittedly what made that film great was the outsider sister. Yet, if this had been a film by Anthony Minghella and not The X-Files with lots of superficial critics' stock expectations, it would have gotten better reviews.

I'm not saying it's an 'A' film, but what Chris Carter has attempted and succeeded at in the intimate drama and dialogue is quite an accomplishment, especially for a sci fi franchise that built its audience on spooks and scares, and is now not simply using drama as a breather between action scenes like most of Hollywood.

7.5 out of 10

I would definitely wait for DVD unless you must have more Mulder and Scully right this instant! Honestly, that would be the only reason to go and see it on the big screen.

It will lose nothing on a TV.

I'm gonna see it again, both because I always used to watch episodes a second time, especially mythology episodes after I taped them and poured over the details.

Also, it's gonna help Chris Carter have more weight with Fox to bring us another film and yet have him call creative shots. I don't want Fox saying to take out the drama and have way more action like the first film.

I wasn't a shipper, and felt upset when I saw Scully jealous about Diana Fowley in the Season 5 finale, but the writers made me a believer over the last seasons -- except in Season 9 when they totally exploited it with bad stories.

But FWIW, Roger Ebert gave the new movie three and a half stars. :wink:
Not only that he actually got the film and understood the suspense plot was not the main point. Richard Roeper liked it a lot, too.

The San Francisco Chronicle was reviewed quite positively by someone who'd never seen an X-Files story:
Out there, once again, in search of the truth

It seems the only ones who are extremely disappointed are the cynical reviewers like Manhola Dargis at the NY Times who wants it to be a shocking, scary story, and completely, unforgivably ignores the drama at the heart of the story!

Let's not forget that gorgeous mane of hair:

chris_l.jpg
I've always loved his quintessentially TV American accent. It's so clear and neat. I just wish he'd reveal more about how he came up with story ideas on the DVD commentaries and featurettes. He barely even talks about major mythology story arcs of Season 5 -- the climax of the series.

Like Bono, he gets too caught up in concise summaries from repeating the same thing over and over to the superficial media. Fans deserve better.

So finally went and saw the movie last night. I seem to hesitate with my favourite series turned into movies, or movies i've waited a long time to see, for fear of it turning out terribly shit (which is about 80% of hollywood movies are now) or loosing something.

Now I won't say that this movie was perfect, I felt the 'russian crazy docs' was a bit of an old plot line, and there were a few people/ideas left unexplained, not for more suspense but just through not tying up crucial ends. I didn't like how much Mulder and Scully argued, especially since she introduced the case to Mulder, and KNOWS what sort of person he is, and then fought against him the rest of the movie to drop it. Didn't like that they shoved the mention of Samantha in, nothing to do with movie, or even Mulder - he has come to terms with his sister.

WILLIAM. WTF. How can they put him in ONE SENTENCE! I mean, ok that is a whole new can of worms right there, but seriously, don't fucking mention him at all if you're going to give no thought towards him. Have they given up??

I will admit that I nearly tore my boyfriends tshirt when Scully was in bed and talking. I was screeching 'who is she talking too!?' and then squeeeed with delight. I was never a shipper, but its always felt like where its going and they looked great and intimate and good together. Just didn't like Scully getting all hepped up, but then i understand she's seen enough darkness for 5 lifetimes. But then why introduce him to the problem?

Skinner. SIGH. I almost expected him to turn to the camera and tip his hat the cameo was so contrived. And where were the lonegun men? I thought i saw them in the trailer? maybe i was wrong?

Over all i loved it, because i desperately miss the x files and i adore mulder and scully. But I can admit it wasn't that great of a story - i wished it was more "spooky" and a few more twists and turns.

Billy Connolly was excellent though.

6/10 for movie
10/10 for M/S :heart::heart::heart::heart:

I'm very relieved they only gave William one mention. I'd like to forget that whole plot point ever existed.

But there were other subtle references, not only to William but to all of Scully's stolen eggs and her half-alien babies or whatever, like when someone said to her in the hospital, "You'd feel different if you were a mother" or something like that.

And it was hard not to be all "Oh no you didn't, bitch!!!!" when that person said that. But I restrained myself. Barely. ;)

I know - Scully was very poised with saying nothing - i'd be like, well actually I was, but if I told you the real story you wouldn't believe me, soooooooo FUCK YOU!

i must have missed a few of the subtle things due to still having stars in my eyes. HAHA

also, was the blonde FBI agent who said nothing, was she the same blonde nurse at the hospital watching Scully? they looked similar and were focussed on closely?

Back
Top Bottom