X-Files 2 Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was the one with the field and the dead career.

As for the movie....I loved the X-Files, but the fact that the movie wasn't a continuation of the main story really put my interest low on the scale. I want to know WTF happened with the aliens, oil, Krycheck, cigarette man, well manicured man, etc etc etc. I don't want to watch an FBI movie, I want to watch an X-File. So that's my $.02.

so, all of those questions could be answered by revisiting the series, even prior to the seasons 7-8-9 bullshit. except for the well manicure man, the first movie explained that.

Me too!

I'm still mad that Chris Carter killed off the Lone Gunmen in season 9, and made me not care about it.

I recall there was a goofy episode with Burt Reynolds as a guest star, another one about a guy obsessed with The Brady Bunch or something, and another storyline where they solved what had happened to Doggett's kid years ago, and Lucy Lawless as a super soldier ...

And some crap about Mulder and Scully's Magical Alien Baby and how they gave it to a married couple who had a farm in the middle of nowhere or something, because they had to protect him and gee, no one can ever know about this Magical Alien Baby baby, and surely the bad guys will never find the baby with a family just living on a farm... or maybe we should just write him out of the show because we really fucked up that story.

(It was a really cute baby, though. I remember that.)

wait wtf, he killed off the lone gunmen????? OMG!! :scream:

I know. Sorry to spoil it, but there comes a time when you have to wonder if you need to consider something a spoiler when it came out over 5 years ago. ;)

it's only considered a spoiler if i had intentions of watching it. since i didn't, it's all good. lol all you did was pick at a wound that was already there. the wound of the horrible truth of what the show had become. :(

:down: wounds of truth :down:

so, all of those questions could be answered by revisiting the series, even prior to the seasons 7-8-9 bullshit. except for the well manicure man, the first movie explained that.

Not if those events took place in a PARALLEL UNIVERSE on the Alien Homeworld <---- THAT'S the kind of stuff I want to hear about. And throw in some black holes and a Wormhole for good measure.

I'm exactly the same point back. I mean, I've seen most of the episodes through the first six seasons and then lost interest not too far after the movie. But watching them in succession, I managed to get through the first 1.5 seasons back in the summer of 2005 before becoming busy and forgetting about the series (and eventually, watching a ton of other great shows all the way through that I hadn't seen before). I do want to re-watch the rest of Season 2 along with 3-5 as those were all fabulous and some of the best television drama episodes of all time. :heart:

i didn't know he killed the lone gunmen! i seriously thought in a trailer they had a clip of them walking behind scully at some point?

oh how sad :(

fsck carter!!

Not only that, but it was an episode appropriately titled "Jump the Shark". Though intended ironically, it was a terrible episode, as most were that final year.

You can try out the Lone Gunmen TV series. There are, like, 16 episodes on DVD.
I personally didn't like them as leads, but they might have been useful in a mythology, I guess. I'd have rather they killed Reyes.

Me too!

I'm still mad that Chris Carter killed off the Lone Gunmen in season 9, and made me not care about it.

I recall there was a goofy episode with Burt Reynolds as a guest star, another one about a guy obsessed with The Brady Bunch or something, and another storyline where they solved what had happened to Doggett's kid years ago, and Lucy Lawless as a super soldier ...

And some crap about Mulder and Scully's Magical Alien Baby and how they gave it to a married couple who had a farm in the middle of nowhere or something, because they had to protect him and gee, no one can ever know about this Magical Alien Baby baby, and surely the bad guys will never find the baby with a family just living on a farm... or maybe we should just write him out of the show because we really fucked up that story.

(It was a really cute baby, though. I remember that.)
The Burt Reynolds episode was perhaps the best of the season -- a really innovative episode. The music and the humor made it so much fun, even if the suspense plot was a bit lame. The ending was insanely great:
YouTube - X-files improbable-Io Mammate E Tu

Also, the Brady Bunch one was pretty enjoyable in a Season 6 humor kind of way.
The Doggett one was formulaic but enjoyable, too, in a Season 6 kind of way -- better than most of the Season 7 episodes.

You have to understand Fox owned it and held the show on the air due to casting contracts. Carter didn't want it to go on that long and kept coming back because it was his baby.

there are so many stand alone episodes and even multi- part episodes that are much, much better than this current movie.

If you liked the movie, the series will blow you away

While that's true. This is trying to be different in terms of the relationship and this the best relationship drama since Season 5!

The suspense plot could have been better, but it's trying to present moral ambiguities, which the purely scary episodes didn't aim for. Also, Season 1 is really cheesy, except a handful of episodes. I can't bare to watch most of Season 1.

This movie didn't try to repeat the formula, but aimed for new ground and I respect it for that, while I'm glad there IS criticism because Chris and Frank need to know where they went wrong.

I enjoyed this more than the first film, though, and I'm a hardcore mythology fan.

I also suspect Fox will not let this die. The X-Files is so huge and the DVD sales will be big if they give Chris a big budget and free reign for a great story the next time around. They only got $30 million for this. How much money have they made off the series? Surely much, much more than this puny sum.

FOX will certainly let this die. It needs to make $60 million worldwide to break even since the theaters earn half the profit. It might squeeze by financially on DVD. Would you make a sequel to a film you broke even on that most of the audience didn't really care for? :down:

FOX will certainly let this die. It needs to make $60 million worldwide to break even since the theaters earn half the profit. It might squeeze by financially on DVD. Would you make a sequel to a film you broke even on that most of the audience didn't really care for? :down:

The film has earned back its budget of $30 million by raking in at least $52 million worldwide, as confirmed by Frank Spotnitz.

I seriously doubt Fox would let this die even if it had failed to make back its budget. This is a cultural phenomenon. Everyone knows about The X-Files. They're too greedy to not exploit it. What I'd worry about is them not giving Carter free reign and wanting explosions and silly action for good measure in the next film, which was what made the first film so silly to me.

Anyway, here's a printed interview with Chris Carter from the Guardian UK newspaper:
John Patterson talks to X-Files creator Chris Carter about his new film | Film | The Guardian
Enjoy Lazarus.

The film has earned back its budget of $30 million by raking in at least $52 million worldwide, as confirmed by Frank Spotnitz.

Well usually when the press releases numbers they're gross numbers, so the film may have grossed 52 million, but that doesn't always mean we'll know if the film made money...

I seriously doubt Fox would let this die even if it had failed to make back its budget. This is a cultural phenomenon. Everyone knows about The X-Files.

Sure most people will know about the X-Files, but will they all care? It really doesn't seem like they did all that much...

But who knows :shrug:

I got a question about The X-Files from any hardcore fans about writing plans at the end of Season 6. Here's what I know happened and what I'm guessing happened as well:

What hurt the mythology at the end of Season 6 and start of Season 7 was the tension from Duchovny accusing Chris Carter of taking hush money to keep silent while Fox violated Duchovny's rights to get profits from their market value sale of the show in syndication; Duchovny said Fox intentionally sold the show to its sister network at a below-market price and therefore cut down his share of the profit.

At the end of Season 6, cinescape.com and a fansite called Squirrelsnest.com reported The X-Files prepping a 4-part mythology story with the bounty hunter and Jeremiah Smith and the actors even publicly said they were cast. Then Duchovny's directorial debut ("The Unnatural") went haywire, as an actor got sick and had to be recast and the story changed, so it looks like Carter cancelled mythology episode plans, because Duchovny needed to take time off the show (another week, to be exact) to work on his botched episode; they had to add a crappy Lone Gunmen episode to make up for Duchovny's time away.

Added to this, Carter, I think, wanted to smooth things over so he invited Duchovny to write with him the season premiere mythology, which stunk of Duchovny's overly cutsey ideas; anyone who, like me, has paid to rent his directorial film debut has earned the right to say this. I think it really hurt things. I would have loved to see what would have occurred in that 4-parter. Season 6 was supposed to end in 3-parts with a 4th part starting Season 7. The bounty hunter never showed up until the end of Season 7, but the atmosphere on the mythology was different at the end of Season 6; the conspiracy had just been exposed and ended and "all bets were off." It could have been really exciting, compared to the lackluster reappearance of these two in separate episodes at the end of Season 7 and in Season 8. I'm sure all the ideas for the end of Season 6 and start of Season 7 changed to suit pleasing Duchovny's bizarre ideas, and the mythology suffered with the atrocious "The Sixth Extinction" and "The Sixth Extinction II: Amor Fati"; even the 6th season finale "Biogenesis" wasn't anything special.

I'd love it if anyone can corroborate this or add to it. Do you have any articles or anything suggesting what the story would have been about? I would have avoided reading too much for fear of spoilers, but now I wish I had.

I'd never heard anything about that, but I'm sure there's lots of stuff behind the scenes I didn't know about.

What went haywire about "The Unnatural?" Was there something that got fouled up behind the scenes that messed up production schedules and the like, or do you just not like the episode?

I thought both of Duchovny's episodes were really well done. Anderson's ... not so much. At least insofar as it wasn't "all things" Scully, it was "all things" Gillian Anderson.

I'd never heard anything about that, but I'm sure there's lots of stuff behind the scenes I didn't know about.

What went haywire about "The Unnatural?" Was there something that got fouled up behind the scenes that messed up production schedules and the like, or do you just not like the episode?

I thought both of Duchovny's episodes were really well done. Anderson's ... not so much. At least insofar as it wasn't "all things" Scully, it was "all things" Gillian Anderson.
"The Unnatural" was supposed to mark a return of the guy from the original Kolchak series who was in Season 5's "Travellers" and Season 6's "Agua Mala"; they were part-way through shooting, when he got sick, and that's how they came up with the crazy idea of both brothers sharing the same name: Arthur Dales, if I recall -- because how else would Mulder run into the guy's brother? This stuff was reported when Season 6 was shooting.

Another idea I read during Season 8 was Frank Spotnitz talking about doing a Krychek-centered episode about the character's whole history. How awesome could that have been? I'd still love to know more about him!

I agree with you Duchovny's episodes went alright, but when he tries to be touching he goes a bit too far; it's largely a matter of interpretation (he's obviously had different influences than me), but, as a sports hater, I can't relate to the alien dying for baseball as the thing he loves the most. And then there's the ending to his Season 9-directed episode "William" which ends with the same black American background singing which is supposed to be so moving; the show's writers were largely out of ideas at that stage anyway, though. This kind of admirable but poorly carried out emotionalism is really evident in his film directorial debut "The House of D", though. I admire he's willing to go there, but some of it's awkward and taken too far.

Before "Amor Fati", Duchovny had never had a writing credit on a mythology episode; the episodes to which he contributed story ideas were excellent, I'm guessing, precisely because Chris Carter handled the actual writing and implementation of ideas. They were the amazing: "Colony" and "Anasazi" in Season 2 and Season 3's "Talitha Cumi"; Duchovny also helped Howard Gordon (now on 24) with the story idea to the Season 3 Skinner episode "Avatar", which was also quite awesome.

I quite liked Anderson's episode for showing a darker side of Scully. I think they overdid the Moby, but I thought it was quite daring. Then again, I haven't seen it in a while.

Oh man, I totally had forgotten that Duchovny did that season 9 episode. I've blocked that all out. ;)

Thanks for explaining about the Dales character and how the actor getting sick affected things. I'd forgotten about that. On a similar note, that episode "Travellers" was one of the dullest episodes ever.

An episode with Krycek's backstory would have RULED. I'm sorry he got a bullet through his head before we got it.

Ended up topping $64 million which means a definite profit before home video. The worldwide fan base proved to be very strong despite the mediocre reviews.

The X-Files: I Want to Believe (2008)

Who knows? Maybe the right deal will be worked out or a tight budget that could lead to the film that shows us the alien invasion, no? :up:

The problem is that it's been done; it was a great show but the stories have been done to death.

I would watch a sequel which dealt with the invasion, or better yet a shadowy countdown in the days before the invasion, maybe have it play out as a public health crisis under the auspices of bird flu. Make the invasion less Independence Day, more invasion of the body snatchers - high on the character elements, low on the big showy action. I can't think of a way to end it that would be satisfactory, the conspiracy is like the monster in the dark - now it's been seen the tension is lost.

A Lone Gunmen movie though, the possibilities are endless ;)

For some reason I don't remember them dying (or I'm trying to block out all memories of the last season :wink: ), how did it happen again?

I can't even tell you. I'd stopped caring by that point in the final season, and it made me even madder at Chris Carter.

Gee, you ruined my show and you made me not care that the Lone Gunmen are dead. Well done!

Edit: I don't remember any of the details other than the episode was called "Jump the Shark" (oh har har har, X-Files) and that they died in some sort of noble way.

Back
Top Bottom