What is the most ridiculous soap opera?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactus Annie

Refugee
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxar
The most stupidest soap that's shown in the UK I would say is EastEnders, followed by Emmerdale. I used to be a massive fan of EastEnders but over recent years the cynic that seems to be emerging from inside of me has made me give up on this program. I think it's enjoyable and occasionally it can cover a storyline with sensitivity and realism, but for the most part I can sit and pick holes in it's portrayal of 'real East London life'. The bus that collided with thin air and crashed killing everyone on board. The daughter who for most of her life despised her father after he snatched her daughter from her arms and is able to manipulated her for years and who forgives him weeks before his wedding. Real east Londoners say it portrays them in a bad light. They are portrayed as being surly, unhelpful, unfriendly and thick, so no wonder they don't like this show.

And no Londoner is that provincial. All the soaps are guilty of this, where they always visit the same pub and cafe, only shop in 2 shops that happen to be on the same street where they live and work. It's like there is some inexplicable force that prevents them leaving the square, street or village, similar to the film The Truman Show. You don't want to go to the Rovers or Roy's cafe? You live in Manchester, one of the country's largest cities, go to another one! I live in a tiny town, yet there's more than one pub or cafe for me to visit if I didn't want to go to one in particular for some reason. I've also lived in a village and I know that most people in villages travel into town for work, so why is it that on Emmerdale this is not the case?

Also, to talk about specific storylines now, if there happened to be a murder like there was with Tom King a few years ago, that would litterally be the only topic in a small village. So how comes no one on Emmerdale ever mentioned it? How comes the scriptwriters write a role for a 7 year old girl who is supposed be very clever but she behaves entirely like an adult rather than a child? Even though she's barely 8, I say Belle Dingle is perfectly capable of fending for herself rather than being in the crutches of her inbred family. We've seen her negotiate rent with the lodger for her older brother, comfort her aunt after her love life has gone wrong and direct a Christmas play for the church. Even the writers on EastEnders are able to script a role for an academically clever child but still behaves like one with Tiffany.

I'd say the best soap in terms of consistent characterization and realistic stroytelling is Coronation Street. Although it is provincial, overall it successfully blends serious drama with realism and a lighthearted sense of humour. It's got better since Kym Marsh has left. Even Ozzy the dog can act better than her.

Is Gossip Girl a soap? I know it's a bad show, the promotional ads are bad enough, but I'm not sure it's considered a soap opera. The Bill used to considered a soap but recently ITV are showing it after the watershed so that there will be more gritty storylines, so technically I'm not sure whether it'll still be considered a soap anymore.

I'm pretty sure it was Passions

:yes: I watched the final scene from the very last episode on YouTube and even by watching just a few minutes of it I found it annoying and funny because it was so bad. Wasn't this the soap that just wouldn't die despite it's complete lack of viewers? I do find American soaps amusing, but I they don't show many of them over here anymore. A few years ago they showed one called Sunset Beach which was hilarious. I was reading about it on Wikepedia and apparantly this show had more viewers watching it on Channel 5 over here than it did in America, and the broadcasters over here evn offered to partly fund it. Now channel 5 is a minor terestrial channel that some people still can't get even with digital TV. Sunset Beach was on at a time before many people had digital and I know many parts of the country couldn't get any signal on channel 5. So that's testamount to how few people were watching Sunset Beach, but I've know many people at work who watched it. It was so bad it was great. The melodrama, the dream sequences the OTT storylines. Is Days Of Our Lives still on? They tried to put that on after Sunset Beach was axed but it it nevr got as many viewers so they dropped it. This was quite similar to Sunset Beach. What about Bold and the Beautiful? I wasn't as keen on that. It focussed too much on one incesterial family. The character Brooke was a whore.

I heard that they are axing one soap very soon that's been on for years. I think it's either Days Of Our Lives or Golden Light. They've never shown Golden Light over here. It sounds like a religious, is it? Will you cry if they axe Golden Light or Days Of Our Lives?

Guiding Light, yep.

My wife watches some soap, and on it there is some dude that talks to a man in a squirrel costume, which is pretty awesome if you ask me.

This is not aimed at the OP at all...but I do not abide women who watch this drivel, period. Any of it. If I was dating someone and I found out she was seriously into soaps, she'd either have to stop or she'd have to go. If I had a male friend who was seriously into soaps, I'd tell him to never speak of it or he'd have to go also. :lol:

This is not aimed at the OP at all...but I do not abide women who watch this drivel, period. Any of it. If I was dating someone and I found out she was seriously into soaps, she'd either have to stop or she'd have to go. If I had a male friend who was seriously into soaps, I'd tell him to never speak of it or he'd have to go also. :lol:

I'm sure women think the same about guys with their sports...

I like General Hospital. I have SoapNet so I can watch it, it's on abc.com too

I don't think it's any more ridiculous than Bachelor/Bachelorette. Better looking men and better acting too.

I never watched it but I remember reading about Passions-there was all kinds of weirdness there

Passions was the most ridiculous and sloooooooooooooow soap I've ever seen. I used to watch it in college (1999/2000), and in 2006 I saw an episode when I was in the US and they were still on some of the same major story lines. :lol:

20 years ago I became addicted to Days of Our Lives, but I quit watching it sometime in the early 1990s. However, I managed to get both my mother (who is normally a CBS soaps fan) and my sister addicted while I was still really into it. Now they still watch it religiously and I roll my eyes at the sheer stupidity of it when I happen to be home visiting my mom and she's watching it, but it's kind of hard to be all self-righteous when I was the one who was the huge fan in the first place. :reject:

Passions was the one with the midget and witchcraft, right?

Yeah, that one.

well, I´m Latina, I have a very wide range to chose from :lmao:

TV channels that broadcast "Novelas" use to broadcast 3 in the midday and 3 in the nigth :crack: and they can release 6 new novelas every year :crack: But there have been good stories around

The wrong thing that I see about what americans or others Cultures use to do is that they stick for years with the same story eventually they get old and people loose interest :down:, I like the Latin way better

Passions was the most ridiculous and sloooooooooooooow soap I've ever seen. I used to watch it in college (1999/2000), and in 2006 I saw an episode when I was in the US and they were still on some of the same major story lines. :lol:

:lol::lol: I seriously laughed out loud reading this. That is exactly how Passions was. The ethan/theresa storyline went on forever

I remember Sunset Beach had some of the worst acting ever that will put even Arnold Schwarzeneger to shame. Literally no of then could act. The Young and the Restless is so bad is unbelievable that they even broadcast it. All the guys are apparantly gay now, and yet another character has come back from the dead after 20 years. He had his body frozen and had someone else pretend to be himself because "he wanted to" and "he's also gay". I say this should be axed along with Hollyoaks.

Yo Cactus, I used to follow Eastenders, I dont know if you kinda see it nowdays but whoever the new guys are, who are into each other. who is the long haired scruffy one cause he is gorgeous.

out of eastenders, emmerdale and corrie - I dont watch any, but I would say emmer!

Back
Top Bottom