Watchmen Trailer online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really enjoyed it. Better than I could have expected, didn't like the ending change. Not because I have any real affinity to the giant squid, but because I doubt that people would take so well to a certain U.S. weapon supposedly doing things to cities other than New York.

That said, I was pretty impressed at how well the film captured the overall tone of the comic. The violence was too stylized at times, but that's just Zak Snyder. Billy Crudup was amazing, as was the dude who played Rorschach. I'm teaching the book in a few weeks along with Cat's Cradle and Dr. Strangelove, so hopefully my students actually read it instead of just seeing the film.

Guy sitting next to me in theatre:

"What the hell?"
"I don't know what's going on at all."
"I don't get it, but that was hot!"
"Shit, man."
"This movie doesn't make sense."
"I think my cell phone is busted."
"What the fuck is going on?"

:|

He also thought Dan suffered from premature ejaculation and said, "I guess that's why they call them the minutemen, right?" And then later when he and Laurie are getting it on, he says, "So fighting makes him last longer? That doesn't make any sense at all. This movie is whack, yo!"

Not one of those quotes is exaggerated. :|

Idiots.

I thought it was well done, love scene in ship was waste of film just for the flamethrower shot, and we didn't need the jailhouse fight sequence. I prefer the ending in the book with the external alien threat as opposed to the big bad Blue man, who is American, playing Santa looking over the world to see if you are naughty or nice.

Some idiot in the theatre laughed when the Comedian started beating on Sally. Another loser giggled every single time we saw Manhattan's penis. It got old quick.

DVD version will be much better.

"What the hell?"

I honestly had little idea about what the hell was going on in the first half an hour. And that's been a pretty consistent comment from people who are unfamiliar with the comic. :shrug:

I,ve been looking forward to this film for a while now, as has my 15yr old son, but with an 18 rating he can't go, can anyone tell me if the 18 rating is justified?

I honestly had little idea about what the hell was going on in the first half an hour. And that's been a pretty consistent comment from people who are unfamiliar with the comic. :shrug:

yes, but did you have to tell everybody sitting within 25 feet of you?

I,ve been looking forward to this film for a while now, as has my 15yr old son, but with an 18 rating he can't go, can anyone tell me if the 18 rating is justified?

Well, you see lots of nudity, both male and female, lots of graphic violence, and there's quite a bit of bad language....

yes, but did you have to tell everybody sitting within 25 feet of you?

My favourite was when he said he thought his cell phone was busted. It's no wonder he had no idea what was going on--he spent the first hour of the movie texting.

"What the hell?"
"I don't get it, but that was hot!"
"Shit, man."
"This movie doesn't make sense."
"I think my cell phone is busted."
"What the fuck is going on?"

:|

He also thought Dan suffered from premature ejaculation and said, "I guess that's why they call them the minutemen, right?" And then later when he and Laurie are getting it on, he says, "So fighting makes him last longer? That doesn't make any sense at all. This movie is whack, yo!"

Not one of those quotes is exaggerated. :|

Idiots.

You have a knack with surrounding yourself around stupid people.

My friends who've read the GN have loved it; the kids in my TV Production class loved it; everyone else outside of those parameters were either lukewarm or flat-out didn't like it. They wanted to see an actionfest comic book movie and had no idea what this was going to be about.

I think Warner's marketing department, although they had a badass viral campaign, really dropped the ball on this one.

Well, you see lots of nudity, both male and female, lots of graphic violence, and there's quite a bit of bad language....

So just like a night in watching TV then:wink:

Thanks for the info, Tourist, could be one of those embarrasing ones to watch with the bin lids then, I'll wait for the DVD, suppose he'll get to see it in the not too distant future.

that is a tough call, but, i think it is.

I know many parents that would not want their 15 year olds to see this.
it includes pretty blatant love scenes, two. and one scene where dogs are fighting over dismembered body parts of a child.

however, I do know parents that would let their 15 year old sons, watch this.

I kind of feel, as a random, unassuming blockbuster sort of romp, the film succeeds to an extent. As any sort of cinematic vision of the graphic novel, it fails completely... except maybe as a gallery of theatrical recreations of panels from the book. And even under any of those conditions, it still suffers from terrible music cues, questionable acting, and pedestrian general editing and construction. It gets points for doing a select few things surprisingly well, and keeping me entertained throughout its overly long running time, but aside from that, :down:

My friends who've read the GN have loved it; the kids in my TV Production class loved it; everyone else outside of those parameters were either lukewarm or flat-out didn't like it. They wanted to see an actionfest comic book movie and had no idea what this was going to be about.

I think Warner's marketing department, although they had a badass viral campaign, really dropped the ball on this one.

I lot of people went after liking TDK, Ironman and even the Spidy movies.

They liked those adaptations and heard this was the grand daddy. the best comic book to big screen ever.

Well, without knowing the material first, the movie just does not work for most people. All, the others, including 300 and Sin City did not require knowing the material before viewing the movie.

I liked it a good deal but I could see being lukewarm had I not read the GN last spring.

I lot of people went after liking TDK, Ironman and even the Spidy movies.

They liked those adaptations and heard this was the grand daddy. the best comic book to big screen ever.

Well, without knowing the material first, the movie just does not work for most people. All, the others, including 300 and Sin City did not require knowing the material before viewing the movie.

Definitely. I see it as a great companion piece to TDK, even if that's better executed.

Same about 300 or Sin City... there isn't that much to either of them. Simple stories, memorable characters, tons of style/lack of substance.

I am in the boat of "don't care if others liked it" , and "don't care if it makes money". If it hurts development of future comic books in film, doesn't bother me in the least.

I am generally not a fan of comic book movie adaptations anyway. And although, I would like them to follow the book which Snyder attempted. This book has too many layers, too much information and nuances which could not be filmed in a single movie or even adapted to film in the first place. It was a great attempt and hopefully, the DVD will improve upon it with more details. Parts of the film were incredibly well done and some others were not.

Funny how Roger Ebert is gushing about this movie though. I never thought he would like it as much as he seems too.

I am tired of people suggesting it was a darker ripoff of the Incredibles though.:angry:

Is there really that much substance in the Watchmen film though? I felt the thing completely missed everything the book accomplished artistically outside of the very core plot line with Veidt.

Is there really that much substance in the Watchmen film though? I felt the thing completely missed everything the book accomplished artistically outside of the very core plot line with Veidt.

The Comedian, Rorschach, and Dr. Manhattan's storylines and characters were all handled extremely well and presented the themes from the book pretty clearly, I thought.

Dan and Laurie were thrust into a more prominent position here than in the novel, but they worked. It's hard to make Laurie's character work when they cut nearly all of her backstory and a good chunk of her relationship with Jon out.

Ozy's characterization was the most ballsy of the bunch, but like you said, stuck to the novel's core fairly well. Lots of interesting acting choices made by Goode, which even if they weren't all successful, at least showed some display of artistic license.

Would it have worked better as a mini-series on HBO or something? Probably. But as a film, with as much information as it tried to convey, I felt it was a pretty cinematic experience.

It was almost worth it just for Manhattan's origin story alone. I know I've gushed about it a lot, but it's the apex of quality of the entire film, to me at least.

Their storylines were intact, sure, but pretty meaningless. I guess the comedian works best of the bunch, but he played a fairly concise role in the novel as well. Manhattan had his bit on mars, which was my favorite part of the film, but every other facet of his involvement in the story was either trimmed to the point or meaninglessness or simply botched (his confrontation with Adrian was changed for the far worse here). And the most important aspect of Rorshach's storyline was excised completely, though his characterization here wasn't too bad.

But don't get me started on Laurie. An already terrible character from the book made 5 times more unbearable, and do we need to mention the "love scene"? So bad it nearly negates the best moments of the film. And the one bit that might have salvaged Laurie's value here with regards to The Comedian was completely botched in the process, leaving that whole thread dead and lifeless.

As has been said, hopefully the Director's Cut will solve a few of these problems with the added material. But unfortunately, with the film we're being shown here, it just misses the mark too often. It cut many of the most important bits, and even lengthened needless ones. Just poor creative decisions all around. Then again, I'm likely never going to watch the Director's Cut anyway, simply to avoid having to watch that animated Black Freighter garbage. *shudders*

Back
Top Bottom