Watchmen Trailer online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The media is overhyping that story to extreme lengths. There's absolutely no way that film won't be released. It cost 120 million dollars for Christ's sake. And there's just a miniscule chance...if anything were to happen, that it might possibly maybe by some far chance that its release might get pushed back a bit.

What's likely to happen is one of two things:

1. Fox loses the suit and nobody hears about this again.

2. Fox wins and Warner pays them several million dollars in royalties for the film's release.

I always believed graphic novels were probably really well written. Movies such as 300, Sin City, and V for Vendetta, slightly based on their original sources, were enjoyable. After seeing the trailer for this movie I bought the book and read it in two days.
My god (or Dr. Manhattan), this book is layered with such intricate depth. There is so much going on - determinism versus free will and indeterminism and absolutism versus utilitarianism.
Does anyone wish to comment on the following question: what view, if any, does Alan Moore really espouse regarding moral responsibility?

Well, ultimately the main question is, does he believe Ozymandias is right, or that Rorshach is right? Do the ends justify the means? I think most people come away thinking Rorshach is the "hero" of the story for all practical purposes, but I don't think the book condones all his actions along the way, either.

The Wikipedia page has a good section on the different moral stances of Ozy, Rorshach, and The Comedian, which represent the three main positions (Manhattan's is a completely detached logic, obviously).

Watchmen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you go to the third-to-last paragraph he begins talking about this stuff.

Glad you enjoyed it.

What I walked away with was more or less that neither Rorshach nor Ozy were virtuous or righteous in their actions, which is what seems to be the A or B question for most fans. I feel like Manhattan was presented as the only true ideology that could govern the fate of a civilization, true logic, a virtue unattainable by man. Which ties back into the "God exists, and he's American" line again. I have the impression that only "God" or the perpetuation of natural order can have its way. And while you could argue that both Rorshach and Ozy have the best of intentions on hand, I think one of the major themes of this novel (with only one reading mind you...I could be way off) is that even the purest of manmade intentions will likely lead to acts of evil, being in conflict with the natural order or what have you.

That's all well and good, but bottom line at the end of the book there's still a moral decision to be made--should the public know the truth about "the event"? It's a yes or no question that Ozymandias feels one way about and Rorshach the other. By endorsing Manhattan's stance, you're still siding with Ozy, as that's what he does.

True. That wasn't a question I was particularly compelled to answer though.

Really? I also felt that was easily the most important part of the whole thing... what happens when those 3 lines of thought, or closer to 2 when you look at it, collide.

Rorscach's emotional response won't do anymore good than Ozy/Manhattan's purely logical response, and I think Moore merely presents the sides, fleshes out the reasons why, but doesn't pick one. At least that's what I got out of it from a first read and other discussions I've had about the text.

EDIT: I read your response wrong. Either way, the final lingering moral debate is still pretty palpable and there are enough reasons for both sides to be true and false at the same time, which is fucking awesome writing.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks they passed up a big opportunity by not having a Super Bowl ad? I still feel like the average person has no fucking clue what the film's about, and if they don't get their shit together this is going to make as much money as Mystery Men.

They really should have cut a more straightforward, "this is what's happening" trailer. Is it likely they're even going to have a new one with only one month left?

Have you watched the Comic-con 08 trailer footage yet? It's a free download on iTunes and has a lot more nice trailer footage to see (almost 3 minutes worth). I was at Comic-con, there was even more that iTunes cut for ratings reasons maybe but it's worth downloading. Anyways, yeah, many people may pass it by without having a clue.

I still hate that the squid isn't going to be in the movie. It was one of my favorite things about the graphic novel.

Yeah, that makes no sense. They changed the "device" by which Veidt makes his point. Keeping the squid would have meant a whole subplot with the disappearing artists and scientists, something they didn't have time for.

A very sensible choice.

Also, I forgot to post this earlier, but maybe the coolest viral marketing thing I've ever seen, although it has all the official movie links so it's not underground or anything:

Arcade game

There was some talk that they did try to film it, but it's pretty sure now to not have made it. If it was though, it could maybe make the dvd in an alternate version or deleted scene, but I don't know. Maybe it didn't translate well to film.

Yeah, that makes no sense. They changed the "device" by which Veidt makes his point. Keeping the squid would have meant a whole subplot with the disappearing artists and scientists, something they didn't have time for.

A very sensible choice.

Also, I forgot to post this earlier, but maybe the coolest viral marketing thing I've ever seen, although it has all the official movie links so it's not underground or anything:

Arcade game

Exactly. That looks pretty nifty. Can't wait for the 360 game to come out.

There was some talk that they did try to film it, but it's pretty sure now to not have made it. If it was though, it could maybe make the dvd in an alternate version or deleted scene, but I don't know. Maybe it didn't translate well to film.

I don't know what you've read, but that's simply not true.

^ Yes I know the actual fiming may not be true, but in various interviews with Snyder it was discussed, that's all.

OK,

I,ve made up my mind.

I am going to see this opening weekend, on a Sat or Sun around 3 pm

at the IMAX. It is only 15 miles from my house.

I am going to see it right (best) the first time.

I hope my expectations are not too high.

(please don't be a broken down piece of meat. )

Randy The Ram thinks this movie's got a lot of ability. Don't let that sway you, deep.

So my cousin told me that if I wait until the week after it comes out, he'll take me to see it in IMAX... and I've never seen a real movie in IMAX before.

I think I might do it.

Back
Top Bottom