Watchmen Trailer online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Black Freighter IS a distraction, but it contains a subtext that parallels the main plot. I skimmed it the first time I read it, but when I reread it the section carried much more weight.

:yes: although I wouldn't call it a distraction. I think it has a significant role in the book contributing not only in character parallels but with the beautiful flow of story in words and imagery. Page 17 of Fearful Symmetry aka CH.5 is just one example of the genius of Moore and Gibbons. Although, I can see how on the initial reading, it could be overlooked. Much of the appeal of Watchmen as a great piece of literature is its layers which do not present themselves until after multiple or very meticulous readings.

I think Watchmen would have been a weak novel. Comic books can tell stories in ways which cannot be duplicated in any other medium.

The Black Freighter IS a distraction, but it contains a subtext that parallels the main plot. I skimmed it the first time I read it, but when I reread it the section carried much more weight.

Initially, it was a bit interesting.

And yes, I did get it was a parallel story of one man on a trek against evil.

And the layers, a kid sitting on a stoop reading a comic book about destruction, while all the time being oblivious to the destruction all around him

I even thought of a 50 year old man sitting in different beach front, fast food joints, drinking coffee, reading a graphic novel about destruction, being oblivious to the destruction around him.

the black freighter,
starts ok, then goes nowhere, except as the device mentioned,
once established, that was enough.

:yes: although I wouldn't call it a distraction. I think it has a significant role in the book contributing not only in character parallels but with the beautiful flow of story in words and imagery. Page 17 of Fearful Symmetry aka CH.5 is just one example of the genius of Moore and Gibbons. Although, I can see how on the initial reading, it could be overlooked. Much of the appeal of Watchmen as a great piece of literature is its layers which do not present themselves until after multiple or very meticulous readings.

I think Watchmen would have been a weak novel. Comic books can tell stories in ways which cannot be duplicated in any other medium.

reading should be fun
and even challenging at times

it should not require multiple or very meticulous readings.

reading should be fun
and even challenging at times

it should not require multiple or very meticulous readings.

I disagree. Some reading can be fun just as some tv shows, movies or other forms of entertainment can be fun too. But sometimes, repeat viewing or reading is a pleasurable activity for many people because it enhances their first experience i.e The Dark Knight, Harry Potter books, whatever

Literature is perhaps the most analyzed and studied form of entertainment ever. People have made careers out of becoming experts of writers and literary periods.

You didn't like it, fine by me. I think you are correct in your self-assessment of not reading any more graphic novels if you are unhappy with this one.

James Joyce just called me laughing.

I remember pounding through

Portrait

it was work for me

then there was this huge pay off
and I was glad I rode it out

see that's it

there needs to be a pay off

no pay off for 'black freighter'.

and true, not that much work
but effort should have at least a minimal payoff

You didn't like it, fine by me. I think you are correct in your self-assessment of not reading any more graphic novels if you are unhappy with this one.

like it ok

gave it a C+

said I like the story
and I am looking forward to film adaption

and yes,
I am not the right audience for graphics or comics

I figured I would give the best one a shot.

I don't regret it.

I just would not recommend for the uninitiated. :shrug:

like it ok

gave it a C+

said I like the story
and I am looking forward to film adaption

and yes,
I am not the right audience for graphics or comics

I figured I would give the best one a shot.

I don't regret it.

I just would not recommend for the uninitiated. :shrug:

It may be generally regarded as the best, but there may still be one out there that you would like more, you know? Not trying to push this on you, just sayin'.

It may be generally regarded as the best, but there may still be one out there that you would like more, you know? Not trying to push this on you, just sayin'.

Ture

I always wanted to give

FC0679729771.JPG

a try

maus1.jpg

I have read Maus.

It is excellent. I think you'd enjoy it.

And I really don't like this medium at all.

Movie Trailer Boosts Book Sales
Since the release of the Watchmen trailer, demand for the trade paperback has hit an all time high

Riding a wave of interest and excitement over the new film adaptation of Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbon’s classic superhero graphic novel Watchmen, DC Comics is experiencing a boom in demand for the book, shipping more than 300,000 copies of the graphic novel in the two weeks since the release of the film’s trailer.

The book is a perennial backlist bestseller and on a weekly basis is virtually always among Bookscan’s Top 50 bestselling graphic novels.

But the interest and demand generated by the forthcoming film (not due to open until March 2009), not to mention having the Comic-Con as promotional platform, has generated incredible demand for the book.

“I don’t think there’s record of a trailer moving books with this velocity,” says DC Comics president Paul Levitz. “Bookscan records Watchmen selling 10,000 copies in one week. We’ve put more than 300,000 copies in print in the last two weeks. That’s a pretty amazing record for a 21 year old book.” In 2007, the title sold about 100,000 copies.

“Comic shop retailers have used Watchmen for the last 20 years to introduce graphic novels to curious new readers and they know it creates repeat buyers,” Levitz says. “They sell a copy of Watchmen to a consumer curious about all the fuss and that reader returns for a copy of V for Vendetta by the same author. We believe this book is significantly expanding the readership for graphic novels.”

The book has been doing very well in online sales and was the number 5 best selling book on Amazon.com during the month of July, 2008.

8.3.08 Source: Publishers Weekly

gugino.jpg

ETA followup story

As we reported earlier this week in our discussion with DC President Paul Levitz, the Watchmen trailer has had a significant effect on sales of the trade collection of the late ‘80s comic series by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Previously, orders of 250-300,000 copies of the trade post-trailer were reported, but now, according to the New York Times, that number’s going up. Way up.

As George Gene Gustines reported for the Times, DC has printed 900,000 copies of the trade since the trailer debuted with The Dark Knight. The paper cites Levitz as saying that, in total; DC will have printed more than a million copies of Watchmen in 2008. "As far as we can tell from our conversations with the book industry people, there has never been a trailer that did this," Levitz told the Times. A representative from DC Comics confirmed the million copies number for Newsarama.

The trade has enjoyed a four-week run on USA Today’s bestseller list, where it has moved to #18 this week. It has also climbed as high as #2 on Amazon.com’s bestseller list. Currently, the trade is at #10 on Amazon.com.

According to BookScan, which measures sales at brick-and-mortar bookstores, Watchmen sold about 100,000 copies in 2007. The trade is perennially one of the best-selling trades in the comic book direct market as well.

As Levitz told Newsarama, the numbers are busting internal DC sales projections on a weekly basis. “It’s an exciting roller coaster,” Levitz said. “I have no idea how many copies we may sell when this is all said and done. I have hopes, but we’re already achieving some of what our hopes were before, so we just keep lifting the goal numbers.”

I don't know what to say. Still thinking about a lot of stuff. The last couple chapters were an alternating parade of genius and disappointment, though thematically it was all remarkably strong. Probably would benefit from a re-read obviously at some point.

Yeah, you may as well. I've been thinking about it because you can't really be "spoiled" after reading the source.

But Zack Snyder has still made some changes, right?

Yeah, from what I've heard Snyder more or less restructured the film and the script (maybe even re-wrote a lot of it? I don't know) after he took the reigns. From what I've read of Hayter's third draft so far, I'm guessing Snyder is making changes so as to keep the plot more faithful to the GN. Sneaked a peak at the end of this script, and it turns out a certain costumed adventurer prominent in the final chapters of the novel winds up dead in the script here, whereas he survives in the novel. Not sure I like that at all. Hopefully Snyder remains faithful in that respect. Though I can't say I'd mind him making some changes to the whole design of the psychic alien monster plot thing a bit. That was the one part of the GN that had me start shaking my head a bit.

Yeah, from what I've heard Snyder more or less restructured the film and the script (maybe even re-wrote a lot of it? I don't know) after he took the reigns. From what I've read of Hayter's third draft so far, I'm guessing Snyder is making changes so as to keep the plot more faithful to the GN. Sneaked a peak at the end of this script, and it turns out a certain costumed adventurer prominent in the final chapters of the novel winds up dead in the script here, whereas he survives in the novel. Not sure I like that at all. Hopefully Snyder remains faithful in that respect. Though I can't say I'd mind him making some changes to the whole design of the psychic alien monster plot thing a bit. That was the one part of the GN that had me start shaking my head a bit.

Who was the character who died in Hayter's script? Ozy? Nite Owl?

I thought the octopus was brilliant... pretty clever satire going on there.

Ozy bites it in Hayter's version. And Dan watches as Jon explodes Rorschach, which apparently made the final film, as you can see the scene in the trailer where Nite Owl is screaming out in the snow.

Ozy bites it in Hayter's version. And Dan watches as Jon explodes Rorschach, which apparently made the final film, as you can see the scene in the trailer where Nite Owl is screaming out in the snow.

I'm fine with Nite Owl seeing Rorscach die, it's neither here nor there, but Ozy biting it undermines a good portion of the ending... but it's more fulfilling for casual filmgoers, so there's something to be said for that.

Milton Glass, repeats his first reaction to a newspaper reporter on learning of Dr. Manhattan's transformation:
"God exists, and he's American"—a thought Glass confesses to be terrifying.

Back
Top Bottom