Watchmen Trailer online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The graphic novel is awesome, but it's so incredibly complex that I don't know if a film version can do it justice.

Of course, what's probably important is we're going to see, ahem, all of Doc Manhattan, just like in the comic...

I have never read the book and I have to admit that when I saw the promo, it made absolutely no sense to me. The two people who saw it with me had a similar reaction so I have doubts as to whether people who are unfamiliar with the concept will really feel driven to see the movie.

The graphic novel is mentioned in good company....

The Complete List | TIME Magazine - ALL-TIME 100 Novels

I don't care about revenues for this movie since it is highly unlikely a sequel would occur but I hope it covers its expenses. I do think this film will get a HUGE marketing push. I mean, it's on the cover of EW next week and it doesn't come out until next March and most people, like anitram, have never even heard of Watchmen. Of course, Warner Bros, DC Comics, and EW are all under the same media umbrella so cross marketing is to be expected.

The director designed the debut trailer to show fans shots from the book so we would know he is giving it the same reverence and respect which Peter Jackson showed for LOTR. It was not supposed to explain anything about the story just please fans of the book.

I am certain future trailers will expand on the story and do what trailers do, you know, show the story as an adventure, mystery, romance, epic or whatever with those cool voiceover dudes. :hyper:

...with those cool voiceover dudes. :hyper:

You mean serial trailer killers.

And also, why the fuck can't I change anything within quotes like italics and bolded segments. All I can do to highlight a particular part of a quite is cut out the rest.

That's whack.

I saw that yesterday when I went to the google.

So, I bought it.

Hope you like it. I first read it as it was published as a monthly series back in 1986 awaiting each new issue with great interest. I still have the original 12 issue series but have had the trade paperback for years to read. I still notice different things each time I read it. There are so many layers between the text and art. A fascinating read even over 20 years later.

I read it after it had come out, but only about a year later. I have the single issues, the hardbound collection, and a special portfolio set that has mini-posterboards of all the covers, the 6 French covers, and promotional posters for each character.

God knows how much that's worth now.

I read it after it had come out, but only about a year later. I have the single issues, the hardbound collection, and a special portfolio set that has mini-posterboards of all the covers, the 6 French covers, and promotional posters for each character.

God knows how much that's worth now.

forum-dork.jpg

I think I was one of the very few people who was super stoked for 30 Days of Night because I had read a great deal of the "source material".

Hey, I was 16 when I bought all that Watchmen shit.

Of course, this is coming from someone who was still buying a few Star Wars figures 3 years ago.

So I saw the trailer before TDK and watched it again here. I've never read the comics so I have no real reference but the dude who is playing Ozymandias looks weak as hell. He looks like he's wearing a costume. I don't know if that makes sense. :lol: He just looks like a lame.

yes, "lame" is now a noun. get used to it.

I need to know who the uberdork is here though, so I can mock them harshly to feel better about myself.

Anyone got action figures?

All I got are the books.

Although, I think you could make some good coin next year off EBAY with old Watchmen stuff.:doh:

Interviews at Comic-con with cast and director

SDCC '08 - Comic-Con Watches the 'Watchmen'
By Michael Avila

There was a certain electricity running through the San Diego Convention Center Friday morning as the most anticipated panel of Comic-Con 2008 approached.

The Watchmen panel drew an overflow crowd to Hall H, including celebrity fanboys like Kevin Smith.

The panel moderator, Entertainment Weekly’s Jeff Jensen, gave a brief intro extolling the virtues of the visionary original comic book series by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons.

A massive roar erupted as each member of the cast was introduced one by one in alphabetical order, with Dylan’s ‘The Times They Are A-Changin’ playing over the speakers

Malin Akerman (Silk Spectre)
Billy Crudup (Dr. Manhattan)
Matthew Goode (Ozymandias)
Carla Gugino (1st Silk Spectre)
Jackie Earle Haley (Rorschach)
Jeffrey Dean Morgan (The Comedian)
Patrick Wilson (Nite Owl)
‘Watchmen’ artist Dave Gibbons

...and the new Mayor of Comic-Con, director Zack Snyder.

Snyder began by recapping how he became involved with the film.

While he was making 300 he was approached by Warner Bros. to do the movie. He was hesitant to do it because being such a fan of the graphic novel, he was afraid to mess it up. Then, he said he figured if he turned it down and then it was made by the wrong people, it would be his fault so he might as well do it.

“It’s been a labor of love for me,” Snyder said.

He talked about how important the GN was to the movie. “It’s nice to have a bible for the movie,” Snyder said.

Discussing his appearance at last year’s Con, when he had nothing to show since production hadn’t begun, Snyder said “Thank God we had the poster Dave [Gibbons] drew for us.”

He also joked that when discussing plans for the trailer attached to “The Dark Knight” he thought about just putting up the title ‘Watchmen’...and then and thought better of it.

The moderator asked Gibbons how he felt being on the set watching scenes from the series being filmed. Gibbons mentioned seeing the Owl ship up close as a personal highlight. “It was really a pinch-me moment,” Gibbons said.

Gibbons said he was particularly proud to see the attention to detail on the set, namely the graphitti, especially the inclusion of the signature ‘G’ that he likes to incorporate into his work.

Just about anyone with a passing interest in “Watchmen” is aware that co-creator Alan Moore has sworn off the movie industry and wants nothing to do with any films based on his work, even this one. So it was no surprise to hear the moderator ask Gibbons if he wished Alan Moore would ease his ‘anti-Hollywood’ stance and see the movie based on his masterwork.

“I see there is an elephant in the room” Gibbons joked.

Gibbons said while he understands Moore’s past problems with the movie business, he wished Alan would allow himself to enjoy this experience like he has.

Snyder then returned the focus to the film by introducing a special 3 1/2 minute clip reel of footage from the film that he put together exclusively for the fans in Hall H (and of course, whoever watches the inevitable cell phone video that winds up on YouTube).

Many of the shots shown are in the trailer, but others were not. Among the most impressive scenes was seeing a humongous Dr. Manhattan running roughshod in Vietnam. Watching him disintegrate the Viet Con was chilling.

There were also a number of instantly recognizable scenes from the GN, including the shot that ended the reel, when The Comedian is thrown out the window. One scene that stood out for me showed a flabby Patrick Wilson sitting down next to a display with his Nite Owl costume. Hard to gauge from just a few minutes of footage, but it certainly seems like Snyder’s captured the tone and mood of the story.

To say the footage was well-received is a major understatement.

After the crowd regained their composure, Crudup talked about playing Dr. Manhattan.

Not the sort of guy you would expect to find in a comic book movie, Crudup admitted it was tough “playing a 6' 4" master of matter, when you’re a 5' 9" 40-year-old jackass.” Best known for playing a ‘Golden God’ in “Almost Famous”, Crudup was asked by a fan about playing a blue man, and where the other Blue men guys were jealous?

“I don’t know because we’re no longer on speaking terms,” he joked. Crudup said he trained a lot, doing lots of stuff they don’t teach in acting school.

Time for questions from the fans.

Haley about bringing Rorschach to life.

“It was...it was a blast, it was challenging, mind-numbing. This character, there’s a lot to him." Haley said he studied the script, the graphic novel, and talked with Snyder a lot about the character.

He also said he went online and read many of the blogs and sites discussing Watchmen and credits them with helping him understand the character.

What would Comic-Con be without a question from a suited up Fanboy? Batman asked Zack to name his favorite Watchmen character.

Snyder said it’s not a fair question and then drew boos when he said he liked them all for different reasons.

“Everyone likes Rorschach the best, so that rules him out. Everyone likes the Comedian because he’s kind of a...bad ass. Those two I can’t vote for.”

He called the girls ‘awesome’ and finally gave up and declared them his favorites.

Wilson, who earlier told me he had put on about 20 pounds to play the soft-around-the-middle Dan, said he enjoyed not having to train for the role. “It was great to sit around eating Hagen Daaz ice cream,” Wilson said.

He talked about how much he misses playing Dan, and how likeable the character is. He also praised Gibbons’ artwork for helping him understand certain scenes better, specifically mentioning the moment where Nite Owl and Rorschach go down into the Owl basement. He said it helped him key into the character of Dan.

“You pull for [Dan],” Wilson said. “Every day getting into the costume was a blast because not only do you feel bad ass...but [the suit] gives him an identity. It was awesome, just awesome.”

Fanboy Joker asked about the book’s nihilistic nature. Snyder said he didn’t worry that the film would be too dark and downbeat for mainstream audiences. “What is darkness in a movie. If someone is psychotic... is it a metaphor or ...real? That’s the question Watchmen [tries to ask].”

Finally, a question by someone not in costume! He asked Snyder about the difficulty in adapting the massive story for the big screen. Snyder said he wanted to include all the ‘under the hood’ stuff, all the supplemental material, the articles, the excerpts from Hollis’ novel. He wanted to get as much of that into the film as he could, ‘but you’re going to end up with stuff that’s not in there. We had to cut out some bits,” he admitted.

Before the panel, Snyder told me he’s still worrying about trimming the film from its current three-hour cut.

Back to costumed questions. A Rorschach fan asked Snyder about the trend toward more adult-oriented comic book films. Snyder remarked that it was an awesome question about more mature audiences coming from a guy dressed up as Rorschach.

He said comic book films don’t have to just be big-budget popcorn spectacles. He added that he would like to see Miller’s “The Dark Knight Returns” made into a movie, and said and there’s another wave of great comic book movies ready to be made.

Gugino was asked about the green-screen method and said she did very little with it on this set. Crudup then jumped in and said the toughest part of the green screen work was for the people working across from him. He said Akerman laughed in his face during the first week of filming because he was wearing a white suit with 140 dots all over his face.

Gugino said while working on a big-budget, effects-heavy film has its unique challenges, “this is such a phenomenal group of actors transforming into these characters.” She also called Snyder their leader, someone who had the complete trust of everyone on the production. “That really made all the other stuff (easier to handle) and make it fall off to the wayside,” she said.

Morgan, who had just arrived on a plane from Thailand, was asked about playing a twisted guy like The Comedian.

He joked that getting into costume and putting a cigar in his mouth helped him get into the mood of wanting to kill people.

Turning serious, he did admit some parts of the shoot -- including some of the intense scenes involving Comedian and Silk Spectre -- were very difficult for him.

“There were days where, I’m not gonna lie...shit, some days shooting with Carla...that were tough,” he said.

Goode said when he received the script, he read a scene with his character, and he was like, “what the f*&% is this?” So he called up a friend, who went on Wikipedia, gave him background on the character, and then said, ‘looks like you’re playing another gay guy!”

He also made a crack about having a Vision Quest moment while on the set in Vancouver, and said if you’ve been in Vancouver you know what he’s talking about. Unfortunately, I’ve never been to Vancouver, haven’t seen “Vision Quest” in 20 years, and he never offered an explanation, so I have no idea what he meant by it. But it was still funny.

He then went into a long, meandering explanation about his character’s half-American, half-German roots...and then seemed to lose his train of thought and he laughed it off.

Snyder told a fan who professed his love for Gugino’s performance in the Pauley Shore vehicle “Son in Law” that the Smashing Pumpkins remix used in the trailer won’t be in the film because the song had not been written during the time period in the film (1985). He said it may appear on the soundtrack.

Snyder was asked if there were any material in the film NOT in the graphic novel. Snyder answered with a smiling 1 word answer: Yes.

The cast seemed to really enjoy the audience Q & A, and all seemed genuinely excited about the passion the audience has for their characters. No one expressed it any better than Akerman, when she was asked about the development of her character.

“We’re all real people, with good sides and bad sides....She’s really been forced into this ...profession by her crazy mother,” she said, looking at Gugino and said ‘I can’t believe I’m referring to you as my mother!”

“I really truly hope I (portrayed) Laurie as you saw her in the graphic novel. Hopefully, I won’t let you guys down,” she said.

[Kevin Smith later said that hearing Akerman say this nearly brought to tears to his eyes.]

Snyder also denied a rumor that for the “Watchmen” DVD he was gathering a compilation of footage from the other aborted Watchmen movie attempts.

Snyder said he had never heard that rumor but that he would buy it if it happened. He also said someone should write a book about Watchmen’s complicated film history.

Then they showed the clip reel again and left to a standing ovation.

For just about everyone in Hall H, March 6, 2009 can’t come quickly enough.

watch

watch

watch

watch

watch

Nice:

Quint watches the new WATCHMEN footage at Comic-Con!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here fresh off of the WATCHMEN panel.
My feet hurt.

The press were corralled into the a little pen next to the stage, which sucked… the audio up there was distant and muted and we were standing in front of a small movie theater-sized screen… maybe 5 feet.

But I’m sure a whole lot of people got turned away, so my bitching will be on the light side. The only thing I’m really pissed about is the security guard that decided to come into the pit and talk over the fucking footage, trying to move us CLOSER to the screen. Devin from CHUD just about got into a fist-fight with that dude… That was pretty awesome.

Thankfully they played the footage a second time at the end of the panel, this time without the jackass security guy.

The panel had Malin Ackerman, Billy Crudup, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Carla Gugino, Jackie Earle Haley, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Goode, Zack Snyder and original Watchmen artist Dave Gibbons.

The footage shown:

No dialogue, but damn does it look impressive. We got the non-PG stuff… a bigger explosion that makes Doc Manhattan into big blue… which is awesome. It’s at once gory and not. It’s graphic, but not stomach-turning. You see the skin blown off, then the ribcage shows, then the organs go, leaving a screaming skeleton with one eyeball left (just as I remember it from the comic) before that is gone, too.

We get Rorschach looking around the Comedian’s apartment, glimpses of his paraphernalia, newspaper clippings, photos… damn near every little detail you could want.

And Rorschach’s mask is awesome. Everything you could have wanted.

Big spoiler moment:

We see a medium shot of Nite Owl leaning in to kiss Silk Spectre as a nuclear warhead falls to the earth. It pushes in closer and closer as their lips almost touch. The instant they kiss the warhead falls, which we see between them. Then it cuts out to them kissing as a mushroom cloud rises in the distance, the concussion wave rushing towards the two.
Damn nice.

We also see the drop of blood fall on the Comedian’s smiley face and the Comedian pushed through the window, which was glimpsed in the trailer, but we see him fall this time. We don’t see the impact, instead we follow his smiley face button, shifting focus from him falling in slow motion, arms flailing, to the button falling in slow motion.

Speaking of the Comedian, we also see a couple of Comedian flashbacks, including the moment the photo is taken and he and Carla Gugino, playing the original Silk Spectre, share a moment that seems sweet on the surface, but not if you know what’s about to come up. Then the Comedian’s grin is fuckin’ creepy.

We also get to see him slashed in Vietnam.

The most important thing about the footage was watching it that big I was really struck by how much the cinematography actually reminded me of the early ‘80s cinematography. While not in any way similar stylistically, the grain and depth of field really reminded me of BLADE RUNNER for some reason.

I can’t wait to see this movie come together. There’s Snyder’s trademark stylization, but in a different light, done more practically. And the cast looks great together. The CG in the footage fit with the live action in a way that's not at all distracting.

The panel wasn’t really filled with any great information, other than one person asking if there would be a DVD extra that compiled information and art from all the other almost-made adaptations from Paul Greengrass and Terry Gilliam. Snyder said he hadn’t thought of that, but it sounded cool.

But there you go… The WATCHMEN footage in a nutshell. What I could see of it, anyway… Got WOLFMAN coming up! Stay tuned!

-Quint

The person who wrote the first article is a fool. Goode wasn't referring to Vision Quest, the film, but to the Native American hallucinatory rite of passage. He was trying to come to grips with the identity of his character, and had to go through a process to understand Ozymandias. The joke Goode was making is that Vancouver is known for its high quality marijuana.

I'm on Chapter 3 of the comic graphic novel and am really enjoying it. I love the cross-cutting between different places and timelines, it doesn't look too hard to pull off since it's done so well here, it's just a matter of including as much as possible in a theatrical release.

Back
Top Bottom