Watchmen Trailer online - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #196
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Movie Trailer Boosts Book Sales
Since the release of the Watchmen trailer, demand for the trade paperback has hit an all time high

Riding a wave of interest and excitement over the new film adaptation of Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbon’s classic superhero graphic novel Watchmen, DC Comics is experiencing a boom in demand for the book, shipping more than 300,000 copies of the graphic novel in the two weeks since the release of the film’s trailer.

The book is a perennial backlist bestseller and on a weekly basis is virtually always among Bookscan’s Top 50 bestselling graphic novels.

But the interest and demand generated by the forthcoming film (not due to open until March 2009), not to mention having the Comic-Con as promotional platform, has generated incredible demand for the book.

“I don’t think there’s record of a trailer moving books with this velocity,” says DC Comics president Paul Levitz. “Bookscan records Watchmen selling 10,000 copies in one week. We’ve put more than 300,000 copies in print in the last two weeks. That’s a pretty amazing record for a 21 year old book.” In 2007, the title sold about 100,000 copies.

“Comic shop retailers have used Watchmen for the last 20 years to introduce graphic novels to curious new readers and they know it creates repeat buyers,” Levitz says. “They sell a copy of Watchmen to a consumer curious about all the fuss and that reader returns for a copy of V for Vendetta by the same author. We believe this book is significantly expanding the readership for graphic novels.”

The book has been doing very well in online sales and was the number 5 best selling book on Amazon.com during the month of July, 2008.

8.3.08 Source: Publishers Weekly

ETA followup story

As we reported earlier this week in our discussion with DC President Paul Levitz, the Watchmen trailer has had a significant effect on sales of the trade collection of the late ‘80s comic series by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Previously, orders of 250-300,000 copies of the trade post-trailer were reported, but now, according to the New York Times, that number’s going up. Way up.

As George Gene Gustines reported for the Times, DC has printed 900,000 copies of the trade since the trailer debuted with The Dark Knight. The paper cites Levitz as saying that, in total; DC will have printed more than a million copies of Watchmen in 2008. "As far as we can tell from our conversations with the book industry people, there has never been a trailer that did this," Levitz told the Times. A representative from DC Comics confirmed the million copies number for Newsarama.

The trade has enjoyed a four-week run on USA Today’s bestseller list, where it has moved to #18 this week. It has also climbed as high as #2 on Amazon.com’s bestseller list. Currently, the trade is at #10 on Amazon.com.

According to BookScan, which measures sales at brick-and-mortar bookstores, Watchmen sold about 100,000 copies in 2007. The trade is perennially one of the best-selling trades in the comic book direct market as well.

As Levitz told Newsarama, the numbers are busting internal DC sales projections on a weekly basis. “It’s an exciting roller coaster,” Levitz said. “I have no idea how many copies we may sell when this is all said and done. I have hopes, but we’re already achieving some of what our hopes were before, so we just keep lifting the goal numbers.”

Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #197
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:04 AM
God exists, and he's an American.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 AM   #198
Blue Crack Addict

Done.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:35 AM   #199
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:04 PM
That's all you have to say?

I'm leaving it entirely up to you...
Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #200
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know what to say. Still thinking about a lot of stuff. The last couple chapters were an alternating parade of genius and disappointment, though thematically it was all remarkably strong. Probably would benefit from a re-read obviously at some point.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #201
Blue Crack Addict

I'm probably going to read David Hayter's script soon too.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, you may as well. I've been thinking about it because you can't really be "spoiled" after reading the source.

But Zack Snyder has still made some changes, right?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #203
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, from what I've heard Snyder more or less restructured the film and the script (maybe even re-wrote a lot of it? I don't know) after he took the reigns. From what I've read of Hayter's third draft so far, I'm guessing Snyder is making changes so as to keep the plot more faithful to the GN. Sneaked a peak at the end of this script, and it turns out a certain costumed adventurer prominent in the final chapters of the novel winds up dead in the script here, whereas he survives in the novel. Not sure I like that at all. Hopefully Snyder remains faithful in that respect. Though I can't say I'd mind him making some changes to the whole design of the psychic alien monster plot thing a bit. That was the one part of the GN that had me start shaking my head a bit.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #204
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Yeah, from what I've heard Snyder more or less restructured the film and the script (maybe even re-wrote a lot of it? I don't know) after he took the reigns. From what I've read of Hayter's third draft so far, I'm guessing Snyder is making changes so as to keep the plot more faithful to the GN. Sneaked a peak at the end of this script, and it turns out a certain costumed adventurer prominent in the final chapters of the novel winds up dead in the script here, whereas he survives in the novel. Not sure I like that at all. Hopefully Snyder remains faithful in that respect. Though I can't say I'd mind him making some changes to the whole design of the psychic alien monster plot thing a bit. That was the one part of the GN that had me start shaking my head a bit.
Who was the character who died in Hayter's script? Ozy? Nite Owl?

I thought the octopus was brilliant... pretty clever satire going on there.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #205
Blue Crack Addict

Ozy bites it in Hayter's version. And Dan watches as Jon explodes Rorschach, which apparently made the final film, as you can see the scene in the trailer where Nite Owl is screaming out in the snow.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #206
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ozy bites it in Hayter's version. And Dan watches as Jon explodes Rorschach, which apparently made the final film, as you can see the scene in the trailer where Nite Owl is screaming out in the snow.
I'm fine with Nite Owl seeing Rorscach die, it's neither here nor there, but Ozy biting it undermines a good portion of the ending... but it's more fulfilling for casual filmgoers, so there's something to be said for that.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #207
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
God exists, and he's an American.
Is this a quote from the graphic novel? A quote from somewhere else? Or did Lance make this up?

Either way, I love it and I'm going to start saying it all the time.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Is this a quote from the graphic novel? A quote from somewhere else? Or did Lance make this up?

Either way, I love it and I'm going to start saying it all the time.
It's from Watchmen.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:02 AM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

Milton Glass, repeats his first reaction to a newspaper reporter on learning of Dr. Manhattan's transformation:
"God exists, and he's American"—a thought Glass confesses to be terrifying.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #210
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Terrific:

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...d=9832&count=0

Tags
watchmen