Watchmen Trailer online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quint's review on Ain't It Cool was more stream-lined, but shared a lot of the same points... same with Moriarty's on his new site.

Laz, your boy Wells is doing a good job of piling up a list of negative reviews, too. It's getting kind of tiresome.

What I appreciate about Drew's review is that he made a point of saying he needed to see the film again before being able to formulate any kind of rational analysis.

So I'm feeling pretty optimistic right now.

Are you guys prepared to experience this visionary, revelatory masterwork of modern cinematic art!!?!!? I CAN'T EVEN BREATHE IM EXCITED!!L!!!OL!!!1!

/devin

What I appreciate about Drew's review is that he made a point of saying he needed to see the film again before being able to formulate any kind of rational analysis.

So I'm feeling pretty optimistic right now.

Definitely.

The chances of my Monday screening are pretty fucking high right now. Fun stuff.

Turns out I am seeing Watchmen tonight... in less than 3 hours. Holla.

I hope it is not a screener on the puter.:huh:

You know someone with a press pass? Works at a theatre?

I have my midnight show tix for Thursday. Gonna be a LONG night.

My friends snagged some pre-screening tix out of the blue and invited me.

It was at a theater, deepz. Gonna see it again Friday and in IMAX the following week.

I'm beyond exhausted right now, but I'll come back here tomorrow to post some thoughts.

Already committed to see a movie three times, without even knowing if it's worth having seen it once? Ballsy.

Already committed to see a movie three times, without even knowing if it's worth having seen it once? Ballsy.

I could've gotten out of those, but I'm definitely seeing it again based on how much I loved it last night.

And there was enough to go around. I want to know who's job that was to make sure the penis looked realistic...

Watch out for spoilers, all ye uninitiated. Okay, so here goes:

It takes the necessary steps to separate itself from the novel and work on-screen without compromising too many important elements, as far as I can remember. They had to cut corners to keep the pacing moving at a brisk pace, and I'm sure that'll change with the Director's Cut, so that's hard to comment on.

First, I'll start with my gripes, which are relatively minor. The fight scenes use the slow-mo pretty liberally, and I didn't mind too much... they definitely bring out the expert choreography on display (it makes the Batman fight scenes look even more like dogshit.) However, the choice to make everyone have these superhuman fighting skills rubbed me the wrong way. It made for more exhilarating fight sequences, but kind of went against a few of my pre-conceptions coming from the novel. Seeing Laurie and Dan beat the shit out of the knot-tops and the guys at the jail though? FUCKING HARDCORE. I cannot stress this enough.

Also, the reveal that the Comedian is Laurie's father doesn't carry that much weight, especially since that scene where they meet after the disastrous Crimebusters Watchmen meeting is relegated only to the "big reveal montage" on Mars. Again, this may have been cut for time, so we'll see how this goes.

There's also added scenes with Nixon in this Strangelove-esque war room that didn't really work for me. It was mainly due to the make-up and basic caricature performance... guy's no Frank Langella.

I could list the other minor changes, but I will say this, and I know this has been mentioned in other reviews... I prefer this ending to the one in the book. The squid's pretty awesome and a great comment on the ridiculous nature of supervillain plots, but it felt kind of tacked on to me, especially upon the second reading. This new ending shifts a few scenes around, but it makes perfect sense once you see it.

Now that brings me to what makes this movie fucking incredible. In short, everything else.

They nailed every character and left in all of the bits that I loved, like Rorschach's backstory, Manhattan's transformation set to the Philip Glass score (easily my favorite part of the entire film), The Comedian in 'Nam and crying in front of Moloch... great stuff.

While she's not awful, Laurie's the weak link here... more of a combination of the character itself and the actress than one specifically. She's still good though. And the choice to have Ozy have this odd suppressed German accent was a nice character touch. Another change in the ending involves an added beatdown between him and Dan, which was my favorite Ozy part of the movie and it wasn't even in the novel, so there's that. The Comedian, Rorschach, and Manhattan are fucking pitch perfect. The only gripe with The Comedian is that he's not in the movie enough, but he virtually disappears from the comic after the first issue or two anyway, so that's forgivable, I guess.

And the score/music choices ranged from fucking rad to awkward. The score was incredibly evocative of Vangelis' work on Blade Runner and a little of Tangerine Dream. Hell, the entire mood and atmosphere of NYC reminded of Blade Runner, which ain't a bad thing. The Philip Glass score is perfect, which makes the "Times They Are-A Changin'" titles choice look even more fucking perfect. Holy shit. Have fun playing Spot the Famous Figure during that sequence... here's a hint: Fucking Aladdin Sane is in there. "The Sound of Silence" at the funeral scene and "All Along the Watchtower" during the beginning of the 'Two Riders' section work pretty well. "99 Luftballoons" was Laurie and Dan meet again at the restaurant is goofy, but endearing. "Ride of the Valkyries" during the Vietnam sequence was a great nod to Apocalypse Now. The other ones are fine, except My Chemical Romance completely massacring "Desolation Row," good thing it's during the credits, I guess.

Can we get an OH GOOOOOOD FOR YOU for Zack Snyder, please? I wasn't a huge fan of 300, and expected his stylistic tendencies to overpower the film, but he really puts on a show here. The scenes all play out like the most epic scenes ever... they all carry so much weight and work well in context, something that made the Yahoo! clips look like shit without. It was such a thrill seeing the story unfold on-screen, I almost forgot that I knew what was going to happen later. Compelling shit, this movie is... hmmmmm. This is an absolute spectacle and definitely has the goods to back it up. It may be so good that deep may even like it.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm in Hyperbolic Mode right now. If you have any more questions, I'll try and answer them.

Holy shit, I can't wait to see this again on Friday.

So one thing NONE of the reviews have been completely clear on: Is the final scene of the graphic novel (in the New Frontiersman office) the final scene in the film? Is it in there at all?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it here. "I'm leaving it entirely up to you..."

In a good way, or in a "I didn't know I had this many daddies" way?

More in a somewhere in between way, like "I didn't know I had this many daddies, but at least some of them are rich."

I'm honestly not trusting anyone's thoughts on this until I get to see it myself. Especially considering my not-quite-the-usual feelings towards the comic itself.

So one thing NONE of the reviews have been completely clear on: Is the final scene of the graphic novel (in the New Frontiersman office) the final scene in the film? Is it in there at all?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it here. "I'm leaving it entirely up to you..."

Yes, it's there. The only 2 aspects that were changed about the ending were it not being the squid and Dan totally wailing on Ozy instead of mackin' on Laurie again.

More in a somewhere in between way, like "I didn't know I had this many daddies, but at least some of them are rich."

I'm honestly not trusting anyone's thoughts on this until I get to see it myself. Especially considering my not-quite-the-usual feelings towards the comic itself.

Totally understandable.

I just want to see it and enjoy it.

I hope it is as good as Speed Racer.

It was gratifying from the fan's perspective and from a standard film-viewing perspective, too. The entire audience was engaged throughout the whole thing as well.

Anyone read the review in The New Yorker? One of the worst things I've ever read there, which isn't saying much, granted. But still.

Anyone read the review in The New Yorker? One of the worst things I've ever read there, which isn't saying much, granted. But still.

Is it another one of those "hipster wanting it to fail" reviews? The only person whose opinion I'm interested in hearing is Ebert's.

Is it another one of those "hipster wanting it to fail" reviews? The only person whose opinion I'm interested in hearing is Ebert's.

I don't even know if it's that. It was basically a rant against a series of marginally related things that hardly addressed the film at all. With an underlying current of distain for Alan Moore as well. Really weird.

Back
Top Bottom