Upcoming Films of Interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what I'm tired of?

Every lame comedy now has a requisite "singing" scene. People rapping along to a song in a car, singing a song in an office environment, etc. It's getting so ubiquitous now that it loses all appeal. Saw a new commercial for the 2nd Hangover film (which is going to suck)....and of course, there's Ken Jeong singing "If I could save time in a bottle".

Fucking lazy, fucking lame. Enough.

I really want to see two films:

Captain America
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

Tintin looks even more awesome than I expected, :up:. Gotta say though, it's weird that they finally put out a trailer and it explains the 'Secret of the Unicorn' subtitle to those not in the know, and they drop the subtitle. :shrug:

I really hope there's more to it than the studio trying to get the 300 crowd back in the seats, Tarsem's The Fall shows he should be doing something so much more than that.

Yeah, his acting in that trailer makes me even more mad that Brandon Routh is no longer Superman.

It got a lot of love at the Boston Underground Film Festival last month.

images-1-1.jpg

Word on Melancholia coming out of Cannes seems to be pretty strong at this point.

:lol: Laz, is that a hipster frog? I never said I went to it, though I did once when I was in high school.

Word on Melancholia coming out of Cannes seems to be pretty strong at this point.

Trier apparently cited Antonioni, Tarkovsky and Bergman as major influences here (Tarkovsky has at least been a minor influence/point of irreverence since his first film), and I've seen more than a couple comparisons by the press to La Notte. Needless to say, I'm pretty fucking pumped.

Also here's a another great Malick write-up that isn't especially spoilery or anything like that.

As Terence Malick’s productions increase in frequency they are likewise expanding in scope—from spanning continents he is now spanning time itself. But the imaginative world of the filmmaker has not changed; The Tree of Life is a flowing symphony of images finding patterns between the bubbles in a bubble bath and the roiling physics of the creation of the universe. All is of a part: no character experiences a different world in a Malick film, all—from Brad Pitt’s father and Jessica Chastain’s mother to Hunter McCracken’s son and Sean Pean as the son grown up—are like alien observers dropped into a stranger’s memory. The film is made up almost entirely of images of them touching the world around them, staring at once at this world and at the same time in complete, pleading abstraction at the unreal sensations of a dream, a memory, a lost or chased consciousness. (Alain Resnais presides again over the Croissette.)

Most of The Tree of Life is not scenes—dramatic dialog between characters acted out in melodrama—but movements in the musical sense. Indeed the film is a musical, scored by Alexandre Desplat and vividly complimented with a calvalcade of classical music both joyous and mournful, but even without the music the film would remain musical, with its motifs and variations, discreet themes, duets and solos, and shots nearly as notes in an improvised, endless rhythm able to move in time, space, and perspective as the melody comes to mind.

The Daily Notebook: The Latest International Film Festival News and Reviews

The full thing is really worth reading, along with a brief review of Peter Chan's very fun-sounding Wu Xia.

Looks like Tree of Life isn't showing here until June 17th.

Friggin' Utah. :sad:

Fucking hell, can anyone find an actual release date for DC? Everyone I've spoken to in every other market seems to know when they're getting it, but the best I've found so far is a vague "coming soon" at the AFI Silver. If I have to wait until July 8th I'm going to be fucking furious.

In an interview afterward, von Trier said he had been joking and did not think people took his comments seriously.

But he had reporters buzzing as he commented about his German heritage. Von Trier launched into a rambling train of thoughts, starting with how he used to think he was a Jew and his disappointment when he learned he was not.

"I really wanted to be a Jew, and then I found out that I was really a Nazi, because, you know, my family was German," von Trier said. "Which also gave me some pleasure. ...

"What can I say? I understand Hitler, but I think he did some wrong things, yes, absolutely. But I can see him sitting in his bunker in the end," von Trier said. "He's not what you would call a good guy, but I understand much about him, and I sympathize with him a little bit. But come on, I'm not for the Second World War, and I'm not against Jews. ...

"I am very much for Jews. No, not too much, because Israel is a pain in the ass."

Von Trier then asked, "How can I get out of this sentence?"

Going on to say he liked Hitler aide Albert Speer, von Trier finally wrapped up with the wisecrack, "OK, I'm a Nazi."

Director von Trier's odd Cannes interview leaves stars squirming | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon - Portland, Oregon | Movies

Fucking hell, can anyone find an actual release date for DC? Everyone I've spoken to in every other market seems to know when they're getting it, but the best I've found so far is a vague "coming soon" at the AFI Silver. If I have to wait until July 8th I'm going to be fucking furious.

No way you're going to have to go that far; isn't there that one arthouse theatre downtown? I know I saw Flight of the Red Balloon there.

No way you're going to have to go that far; isn't there that one arthouse theatre downtown? I know I saw Flight of the Red Balloon there.

The E street Landmark says it's "coming soon" as well. I'm just worried when, since even Fox's release schedule lists a few Landmark-associated theaters in LA and Philly I think and such, but no mention of DC anywhere.

Knowing both directors, the more I read about both films, the more interesting it seems to have Melancholia and Tree of Life competing side-by-side at the same festival, as they seem to present such opposite views on life in spellbinding packages.

Knowing both directors, the more I read about both films, the more interesting it seems to have Melancholia and Tree of Life competing side-by-side at the same festival, as they seem to present such opposite views on life in spellbinding packages.

Yeah, and I've seen the two compared more than a few times already by certain critics. This was a favorite of mine:

The Voice's J Hoberman: "On Monday I characterized The Tree of Life as a train wreck — I was wrong. It's Von Trier who has contrived the spectacle impossible to turn away from…. [W]hen Von Trier obliterates the world in Melancholia he also destroys Malick's worldview, or at least puts it in perspective…. The comparison is not a matter of filmmaking (although the first five minutes of Melancholia are more innovative, accomplished, and visionary than anything in The Tree of Life); it's a matter of sensibility. (For some, Von Trier's appalling skepticism might make Malick's faith all the more touching.) But for me the most important difference is the distinction between art and kitsch. Von Trier has made a movie about the end of world — when I left the theater and exited out into Cannes, I felt light, rejuvenated and unconscionably happy."

OK, that guy has some really bent & jaded life views :crack:. Also, if I'm understanding his quote properly he's calling Malick's film 'kitsch', maybe I'm a fanboy that's far too sentimental for this guy's taste but that I find hard to believe.

Oh I never doubted that, just never bothered reading anything he'd written before, or remembering his name for that matter.

He's kind of an ass, yeah, and has a very particular taste, but he's an intelligent writer most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom