Upcoming Films of Interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zeppelin rarely licenses out their songs; maybe a cover is all that could work?

By that line of thought Deep, do all Greco-Roman or Biblical epics blow because they're speaking English?

I'm with Laz that this isn't as ambitious of a project that one would want from a dude like Fincher, especially with Seven and Zodiac already on his CV. Dragon Tattoo's a solid pulp detective story that has more cinematic potential than the book and Swedish made-for-TV entry have presented. I can't think of an anti-hero in recent Hollywood cinema that has a psychological profile as fucked up as Lisbeth either.

Yes, Gibson's The Passion and Apocalypto are the only recent American historical movies worth talking about it because they're in the people's original languages. (On a side note, that actually is a pretty admirable accomplishment).

Oh, and I forgot about The New World, which tried quite hard to reconstruct the lost language of the Powhatan people.

Exactly LMP. Again, I think it was cool they went that extra mile for The Passion, but not doing so doesn't automatically negate a movie. Also, Swedish people nowadays speak English with very little accent.

as their first language?

at least Tarantino came up with some reasons why his European characters would speak English in Basterds

Sure it isn't their first language, I'm saying that having the actors put on strong Swedish accents isn't necessary. It's a Swedish story being adapted by Americans, I really dint think they need to come up with some screenplay gimmick to explain why they're speaking English to the audience.

Salander: Varför talar ni engelska?
Blomkvist: Terrorists leaked a bio-gas weapon in Stockholm that melts away the part of your brain that stores your native language. It's only a matter of time before the gas affects all of Sweden. Including you!
Salander: Det är most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What the? holy shit!

Then the story continues...

Of course, Steven Zallian neglected to explain how Blomkvist was able to understand her initial question.

the characters could say something like, with the social networks these days, we all prefer to speak English,
I am sure the American audiences would accept that.

I think that audiences are intelligent enough to know that in most films that speaking in an accent is enough to distinguish a character as foreign. I don't think that it's an issue that can derail one's enjoyment of the film.

This is a stupid argument.

Thank you. Though it isn't too late for them to do reshoots to include my justification.

here you go, Nazis that just happen to speak perfect English for a dumbed down American audience.

I'm pretty sure that Nazis also didn't speak in English with German accent, or really bad German that sounds just like German spoken by native English-speakers.

I've cringed through so many movies with actors trying to speak Russian or putting on Russian accent, I'd just rather they didn't.

Exactly, it's been a practice since the dawn of the sound era for films set in foreign countries to merely be written/spoken in the native language of the filmmakers. Sure it's nice when people go out of their way for some authenticity in the matter, I don't see why this is even an issue right now.

Yeah I felt the same way. And I think it's ridiculous that Knightley is getting top billing when the two other characters are the famous ones.

Also, Mysteries of Lisbon is playing the Los Angeles Film Festival this weekend. The screening is filled, but there's going to be a "stand-by" line, which I am planning on waiting in. I'm guessing that a lot of passholders prob won't show up for a 4 hr + movie.

That War Horse trailer couldn't have looked any more generic.

Too bad Anthony Minghella isn't still alive; I'd rather have seen his version.

Clearly a trailer cut to sell the film to 40-year-old women with kids. The Spielberg/Kaminski magic is on full display.

Too bad Anthony Minghella isn't still alive; I'd rather have seen his version.

Yeah no, we get ya.

You think I like some shit. I think you like some shit. Are we going to continue to be "amazed" at each other?

don't want to mock anyone,
but War Horse, the Broadway show looked terrible.

Spielberg's has a tendency to milk sentimentalism for all it's worth
and then rub out one more,

a sure crowd-pleaser.

Back
Top Bottom