Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #646
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
That's right.

Now switch it and have a man and an under age girl and see if the movie would get made and have great praise. Fucking awful movie. Even the music seemed out of tone with the movie and it created some unintentional comedy.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #647
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Well that's one (truly awful) way of reading a film I guess.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #648
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Mud 7.5: Matthew McConaughey does some really good acting in this one. The ending may be a bit unbelievable but it didn't detract me from liking it. It ambitiously weaves a Huckleberry Finn story with a tale of whether we should believe in love or not. The kids steal scenes from everyone else. I don't think it's a masterpiece like some think it is but it's worth seeing.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #649
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Haha.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #650
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:42 PM
It probably would have been a better film had McConaughey took a bath with the kids.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #651
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
It probably would have been a better film had McConaughey took a bath with the kids.
They do get to enjoy him shirtless, like any red-blooded American should.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #652
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I need more sleep before I post movie reviews. Wrong thread!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #653
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Well that's one (truly awful) way of reading a film I guess.
I haven't seen the movie, do they portray the relationship in a way that doesn't approve of it?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #654
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
That's right.

The only problem with this is that that young actor had the best day of his life at age 10.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #655
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I haven't seen the movie, do they portray the relationship in a way that doesn't approve of it?
The boy is a reincarnated version of her dead husband and the boy acts as if he's still the husband and knows her intimately. So it is creepy. I got free tickets for it years ago and the audience was cringing and laughing. The female reactions during the bathtub scene were like "noooo", " oh god no", and "eewwwww". They had people with clipboards to take down impressions from the audience but they just opened the doors and let people out. One dork behind me said "well that wasn't Jurassic Park". Not that I would expect it to be that entertaining but it's not for me.

It got mixed reviews and my weird boss liked it. To each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
The only problem with this is that that young actor had the best day of his life at age 10.
Yeah I wonder how he's going to remember that. It would be nice to see his parents facial expressions during some of the scenes.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #656
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I mean, pretty much. You're familiar with the central conceit of the film though? It's not exactly just a woman and a kid in this story... though it is. But pretty much everyone involved for like 90% of the film thinks the whole thing is crazy for the most part, including Kidman for a good portion of it. It's hardly a film about pedophilia let alone in support of it. And maybe if the gender roles were reversed it would feel a bit different, but focusing on that aspect of it it to willfully reject and whole soul and emotional query of the film. A really gorgeous, evocative, strange and philosophical work more than anything. And I'm not even a huge fan of the film or Glazer. But it's silly to reduce it in that way. But I don't know, I hardly get outright offended by art, so I just don't react the same way. As such it's hard for me to understand why that's the take-away for anybody.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #657
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I mean, pretty much. You're familiar with the central conceit of the film though? It's not exactly just a woman and a kid in this story... though it is. But pretty much everyone involved for like 90% of the film thinks the whole thing is crazy for the most part, including Kidman for a good portion of it. It's hardly a film about pedophilia let alone in support of it. And maybe if the gender roles were reversed it would feel a bit different, but focusing on that aspect of it it to willfully reject and whole soul and emotional query of the film. A really gorgeous, evocative, strange and philosophical work more than anything. And I'm not even a huge fan of the film or Glazer. But it's silly to reduce it in that way. But I don't know, I hardly get outright offended by art, so I just don't react the same way. As such it's hard for me to understand why that's the take-away for anybody.
Most audiences don't analyze movies like you do. They just see weird scenarios that make them think "are they going to sleep together?" and it becomes a comedy. The majority of the audience is lost for the entire movie.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #658
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
He's clearly having a blast.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #659
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Yeah, I understand what the film's about, I had actually heard about it and just completely forgot it.

I guess the reason I asked was because it seemed like PurpleOscar's complaint was being disregarded because of exactly his point, that there's supposedly nothing wrong with an older woman involved with a younger man.

Now, though, I see there's more to it than that, so, I think I'll just refrain from any more comment til I see the movie, if I ever do.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #660
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Most audiences don't analyze movies like you do. They just see weird scenarios that make them think "are they going to sleep together?" and it becomes a comedy. The majority of the audience is lost for the entire movie.
When I saw the movie, I got about what I expected.

The way you describe 'most people' it makes them sound stupid.
Your 'free tickets' and test audience probably confirmed this was more of an 'art house' film. That is how I found it.