Upcoming Films of Interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Damn you von Trier for getting me interested in a film of yours again, :madwife:!!. And making us wait until November, for shame!!

He's kind of an ass, yeah, and has a very particular taste, but he's an intelligent writer most of the time.

Agreed. Same goes for Jonathan Rosenbaum, though I find him to be a less pedantic writer, even if his tastes are often more high-brow.

Rosenbaum is a great writer. And he's far more open to things than Hoberman. He unfortunately has his biases (doesn't like the Coens, Woody Allen, or Soderbergh), but I think if you look at his Top 10 lists over the years you'd be surprised. And his "alternate AFI 100" list is damned awesome:

(scroll down, though the essay itself is great as well)

List-o-Mania | Movie Feature | Chicago Reader

I've never gotten the impression Rosenbaum was very biased about anything. I'm not disliking the Coens or Woody Allen qualifies.

Rosenbaum is a great writer. And he's far more open to things than Hoberman. He unfortunately has his biases (doesn't like the Coens, Woody Allen, or Soderbergh), but I think if you look at his Top 10 lists over the years you'd be surprised. And his "alternate AFI 100" list is damned awesome:

(scroll down, though the essay itself is great as well)

List-o-Mania | Movie Feature | Chicago Reader

I've read that before. He dislikes most of Spielberg's work until you get to the 2000s as well, but I'm sure that you're all for that. I'd like to read his books at some point.

Jim Emerson and Dave Kehr are two other favorites of mine.

Agreed Bronson & Valhalla Rising were stylish nightmares, but Refn has certainly showed himself adept at working with actors and dark material in the Pusher trilogy, the second Drive was announced I was hoping it'd be his chance to make a truly coherent and mature project, and from the reviews it seems like he has. Plus that cast is top class.

Anything that draws comparisons to Walter Hill or early Michael Mann catches my attention.

I'm not really all that crazy for anything pre-Heat anymore, but those two are certainly still really enjoyable.

I've always heard it was terrible, so despite my love of Michael Mann I've never watched it.

I dig Silence of the Lambs a lot, but Manhunter's tone is so gritty and creepy that it is the scariest of the Lecter films. I also far and away prefer Brian Cox's take on the character to Anthony Hopkins. He fits the role as the unnerving background character that the novel dictates, whereas Hopkins becomes far too much of the focus. Hopkins has a ton of screen presence and charisma but he's so ridiculous that you would never believe a real person could be like that, but you could believe someone could be like Cox, and his Lecter is so much scarier than Hopkins because of that.

I've always heard it was terrible, so despite my love of Michael Mann I've never watched it.

I dig Silence of the Lambs a lot, but Manhunter's tone is so gritty and creepy that it is the scariest of the Lecter films. I also far and away prefer Brian Cox's take on the character to Anthony Hopkins. He fits the role as the unnerving background character that the novel dictates, whereas Hopkins becomes far too much of the focus. Hopkins has a ton of screen presence and charisma but he's so ridiculous that you would never believe a real person could be like that, but you could believe someone could be like Cox, and his Lecter is so much scarier than Hopkins because of that.

While I haven't seen Manhunter for a long time, I remember thinking that William Petersen's drab performance was the weak link and the main reason I liked Red Dragon better.

While I haven't seen Manhunter for a long time, I remember thinking that William Petersen's drab performance was the weak link and the main reason I liked Red Dragon better.

To be fair, Red Dragon does have a killer cast, but everything that I said about MH still makes it superior for me, and while Petersen doesn't give an earth-shattering performance, I thought he was solid, and far better than most of what he's done in his career.

Petersen isn't exactly electric, but he definitely gives you someone whose mind is clearly working overtime on the case. You can see the gears turning. I thought it was a unique perf for the thriller genre, and he fits Mann's moody visuals perfectly.

Tom Noonan is awesome, too.

Agreed, Petersen suits the role perfectly, without being showy. Not that I wouldn't put Ed Norton in a time machine and put him in the original if I could.

Red Dragon is a disaster and a perfect example of why having good names attached to a project doesn't ensure good casting.

Too much Steadicam, not enough classic framing.

Possibly, but we'll see how the shots play out. The compositions and general aesthetic in the trailer still looked more interesting than anything he's done in a very long time (even in the trailer I at least see a lot of flat pans, and dolly-ins and outs), which isn't a particularly high standard of course. More importantly it looks like it could be a lot of fun, and I've read a bunch of good reactions to this already.

To be fair, Red Dragon does have a killer cast, but everything that I said about MH still makes it superior for me, and while Petersen doesn't give an earth-shattering performance, I thought he was solid, and far better than most of what he's done in his career.

I need to give Manhunter another look. I just recall liking Norton's performance of Graham much, much better.

Back
Top Bottom