Upcoming Films of Interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I saw the movie, I got about what I expected.

The way you describe 'most people' it makes them sound stupid.
Your 'free tickets' and test audience probably confirmed this was more of an 'art house' film. That is how I found it.

Most people look at movies as a pass time, and are not like critics. It doesn't mean they are stupid but they aren't 1/10th as astute as the movie nerds on this forum or other movie related forums who can catch strange themes and references. I'm sure that niche audiences would react differently but I would be surprised if the audience you watched it with didn't have some people laughing or snickering. I even laughed at the music during the heart attack scene. It was so weirdly toned it became funny.

til I see the movie, if I ever do.

:giggle:

Anyways I hope this Under the Skin movie is much better.

The irony here is that purpleoscar is one of our most enthusiastic posters in the "Hottest Chica" thread.

So if you post beautiful women on that thread does it mean you want to RAPE them like in Irreversible? You seem to have gotten off the deep end more than usual.

Most people look at movies as a pass time, and are not like critics. It doesn't mean they are stupid but they aren't 1/10th as astute as the movie nerds on this forum or other movie related forums who can catch strange themes and references. I'm sure that niche audiences would react differently but I would be surprised if the audience you watched it with didn't have some people laughing or snickering. I even laughed at the music during the heart attack scene. It was so weirdly toned it became funny. :giggle: Anyways I hope this Under the Skin movie is much better.

I have to take issue with this. The folks who tend to be the most passionate about film are the ones who seek it out at all costs, discuss movies with people, get the word out on things they care about. The "general public" you describe who don't place as much emphasis on the entertainment or art form are dismissive by default because that is the level of importance they deem worthy of their time. There is nothing inherently wrong with that; I just don't see the reason to put into perspective why film enthusiasts remain in a minority. That's the inherent nature of being an enthusiast.

Also, justifying one's own opinion with it being part of a majority is lazy as shit. I don't mean to be abrasive, I'm just tired of seeing that be the go to answer to questions or discussions of this nature.

I don't find it abrasive and I tend to agree with you on some movies (I don't agree with people who refuse to watch movies with subtitles etc) but Birth will not be a movie that will be an example of greatness and I'm sure we agree on that. Many art house movies (like Birth) tend to be pretentious and are quite lazy in their filming or have themes that are not interesting but have the air of "oh this is an important movie and if you don't get it you are dumb cattle". I just find movies like Birth try to be important but fail to be. I just can't find any themes in movies like Birth to be of interest to me. It's almost like critics are so bored with themes the galvanize many people they need to like weirder and weirder movies just to keep things "fresh". Or they rely on shock to cover up what is really a boring movie.

The great thing about movies is that it's about perception so if you can find an angle to like Birth then be my guest. :up:

Back
Top Bottom