Upcoming Films of Interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to see Les Miserables as soon as it comes out. If I don't cry even the slightest during the movie, then I would say it isn't good. High expectations, but I'm being honest.

Holy shit. I won't let myself get too excited until it's actually screening, given how many delays it's seen. :wink:

But, :hyper::hyper:.

Well, it comes out in China next month. No more delays. Just waiting for western distribution. Bound to happen before toooo long though. SO BE EXCITED

I know it's out next month, 'twas only kidding. In fact one of the few things in western text in that trailer is "2012.12".

Megan Ellison's Annapurna Pictures is distributing in the US, they just haven't announced a release date yet.

She's our official patron saint of independent cinema. (and Terminator 5 for whatever reason).

Sad correction, it seems Annapurna has sales rights in the US but won't be distributing it, I knew they were moving into some sort of distribution business & I thought I recalled this being the one to kick that off, but I got it confused. It's Spring Breakers. :reject:

True, but less than Grandmasters. Spring Breakers could very easily be a train wreck of a film, though that's part of its appeal I'm sure. I avoid reading advance word on things, I know its festival reaction was somewhat divisive though.

Ah. Well, I knew a few people personally who've seen and raved about it. Plus most of the critical voices I admire feel the same.

Spring Breakers could very easily be a train wreck of a film, though that's part of its appeal I'm sure.

I'm having a difficult time thinking of where else the appeal comes from.

Wait.

Spring-Breakers-Harmony-Korine-film.jpg

Yup. There it is.

Selena Gomez still looks freakishly like a child to the point where it weirds me out, everyone else involved I approve of though.

Ah. Well, I knew a few people personally who've seen and raved about it. Plus most of the critical voices I admire feel the same.

Mostly I'm just saying, given the choice of knowing one of the two has sure distribution to get excited about right now, Grandmasters wins without a contest. Y'know?

Well sure, just because Chinese films in general usually take for-fucking-ever to get theatrical distribution over here. I'm quite jealous of all my friends who live in Australia though. Shit's super popular over there and usually comes out just a month or two after the mainland.

Agreed, Sucker Punch taught us that, although Jena Malone was the hottest in that movie to me, fake blonde & all.

I did write
usually does good work, not consistently great

anyways, I did look at his films before I wrote that

I liked Machine Gun Preacher, much better than the remake KONY 2012
and the rest do rate mostly 7+ on IMDB :shrug:

Machine Gun Preacher

Quantum of Solace

The Kite Runner

Stranger Than Fiction

Stay

Finding Neverland

Monster's Ball

I feel a close bond with deep now, I feel like one of the few people who actually likes Marc Forster, he's no deep thematic filmmaker or auteur to be sure, but he does strong high-entertainment value work in a lot of different genres. QoS & Stay are movies I love, Finding Neverland, The Kite Runner, Monster's Ball & even Stranger than Fiction have plenty to enjoy or admire about them.

Plus I love the collaboration he has with MK12 for graphic design, and Asche & Spencer for music, their work on Stay might be my favorite film score of all time.

Uh oh, Tom Hooper is looking for Oscars...:giggle:

Hopefully he won't get another.

Les Miserables: New trailer and early rave reviews - thestar.com

Les Miserables - Official Trailer 2 [HD] - YouTube

The Daily Beast agrees: “ ... several rounds of applause and a standing ovation later, Les Misérables proved all the naysayers wrong. It hits all the right notes and is, in this writer’s estimation, the newly minted frontrunner for the Best Picture Oscar.”

Nathaniel Rogers at The Film Experience wrote, “By the end of Jean Valjean's lengthy prologue with Hugh Jackman lending a thrilling haunted immediacy to "Valjean's Soliloquy" / "What Have I Done?" my eyes were watering and I had chills everywhere. The audience at Alice Tully Hall was similarly elated with spontaneous applause breaking out right then.” Kristopher Tapley of In Contention tweeted: “ ... wept. Film's a triumph. They're on their feet here. NYC crowd ate ... it ... up.”

The Hollywood Reporter noted that, “Universal's Les Miserables was met with unabashed enthusiasm on Friday (the best notices were reserved for best supporting actress Oscar hopeful Anne Hathaway's performance).”

Russell Crowe, who plays Javert, saw the film for the first time himself and tweeted, “I saw Les Miserables tonight. I am so grateful to be in that ensemble led by a remarkable performance by Hugh Jackman.Valjean is AWESOME” as well as a call-out to the production sound mixer: “Simon Hayes, you are on here somewhere. What an achievement man, miraculous in the environments ... much respect brother”

My mom, my sister and I will be making a beeline to the theater to see Les Miz. I've gotten chills watching the trailer and even misty-eyed from Anne Hathaway's singing.

Back
Top Bottom