Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #226
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Ok, I'm more interested now.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Aye. I think the animated Akira was an extremely condensed retelling of the first 2 or 3 books (I honestly don't remember the exact sequence of events in the novels), so the fact that they were at least considering going back to the source for the live-action adaptation, if they still, means it could result in something fairly different to the animated feature. Merely putting it in live-action with a constrained budget would be enough to do that, but yeah.

Also everyone should check out Unknown, though I've talked about it before. Easily enjoy it more than all three Bourne films, and a lot of the other similar thrillers of recent years, Taken included.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #228
ONE
love, blood, life

Unknown, .
Old 07-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #229
Blue Crack Supplier

Shit pants/move to queue.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #230
Blue Crack Addict

News: Baffling First Trailer For Takashi Shimizu And Christopher Doyles RABBIT HORROR 3D

Yeah.

And I'll just repost this here since they're tangentially related in a way

‪The Grand Master 一代宗師 (1st Trailer)‬‏ - YouTube
Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #231
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:15 AM
‪Hugo - Official Trailer [HD]‬‏ - YouTube

Scorsese kids film? At least it's got Borat.

‪Amazing Spider-Man Trailer (Official Trailer 2012 720p HD)‬‏ - YouTube

Hopefully it's better than part 3.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #232
Blue Crack Supplier

I can't imagine it being worse.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #233
Blue Crack Distributor

Their's a trailer?

I'm actually on-board for this new Muppet movie, for the record.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #234
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm so pumped for this reboot, being more in line with the characters, using the Ultimate comics for reference, and such a great cast lead by Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #235
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Sam Raimi > Marc Webb. That'll make all of the difference.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #236
ONE
love, blood, life

Sam Raimi is awesome at make cheesy purposely ridiculous movies. All we know of Webb in terms of feature storytelling is one film, but his visual sensibilities are clearly versatile from his decade+ of making music video.

Screenplay (this is written by Zodiac's James Vanderbilt, the original was written by David Koepp), tone, and cast play a huge part. Spider-Man 2 was excellent, (though, and I'm not a hater of McGuire, he was never really Peter Parker) the first one was cheesy as hell (and not in a good way like his horror projects), and while I respect more aspects of the 3rd than most, there's no denying it was a mess. I do wish they had gotten a part 4 to clean it up and give it a real ending, but from the buzz surrounding the preproduction prior to its cancellation, the studio was going to make it another mess, this is probably for the best.

Spider-Man has been the best selling superhero since his introduction, I'm all for letting multiply interpretations exist in live action.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #237
Blue Crack Distributor

I love Spider-Man so much, I say this every time it gets brought up. I watched that trailer, and as much as I didn't want this reboot to happen, I was super excited right until they went into the cheesy video game looking first person perspective. I hope that's either not in the movie or not in the movie very much.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #238
ONE
love, blood, life

I think the POV stuff could be pretty damn cool in native 3D. But I wouldn't worry about it being there too much, the big word from behind the scenes is how much of this is done with live stunts, much less focus on CG Spidey compared to Raimi's.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

I think the trailer's kind of OK, though Spidey has always been my preferred major superhero property. Anyway, the more POV the better. Let's get all De Palma up in this bitch.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #240
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Sam Raimi is awesome at make cheesy purposely ridiculous movies. All we know of Webb in terms of feature storytelling is one film, but his visual sensibilities are clearly versatile from his decade+ of making music video.

Screenplay (this is written by Zodiac's James Vanderbilt, the original was written by David Koepp), tone, and cast play a huge part. Spider-Man 2 was excellent, (though, and I'm not a hater of McGuire, he was never really Peter Parker) the first one was cheesy as hell (and not in a good way like his horror projects), and while I respect more aspects of the 3rd than most, there's no denying it was a mess. I do wish they had gotten a part 4 to clean it up and give it a real ending, but from the buzz surrounding the preproduction prior to its cancellation, the studio was going to make it another mess, this is probably for the best.

Spider-Man has been the best selling superhero since his introduction, I'm all for letting multiply interpretations exist in live action.
Raimi's sensibilities fit the material well for the most part. The first film has its share of flaws, tack it to the origin story or tonal issues, whatever you want. It's still a fairly effervescent and fun superhero flick that entertains and sets up the proper stakes for an eventual series. Spidey 2 not only ratchets up all of that dramatic tension, but does so with a simple, clean narrative and insanely stylish visual sense. The Spidey/Doc Ock train fight alone makes it worthwhile. It works as pure pulp and as straight drama. The third film was the unfortunate by-product of a studio/director creative clash... but it at least has more ambition behind it than most of this sub-genre's output.

The best live-action superhero features (Spidey 2, X2, Batman Returns, TDK, Superman/Superman II) all had some unifying vision either from the director or producer. I don't see a similar force behind The Amazing Spider-Man besides studio interest in keeping the property under their umbrella, doing it cheaply, and attracting hot talent.

I think the cast is talented, I think James Vanderbilt is a talented screenwriter, and Marc Webb is an able director. 500 Days of Summer has its share of music video stylistic flourishes; it's also terribly uneven and collapses under the weight of its own pretentiousness. There's good stuff to be found in there though.

Rebooting/rejiggering/restarting a series after one ends or shifting the creative gears sounds fantastic in principle. Like you said, it feels in line with comic runs and there always many iterations of a story to be told. It's alright for me to remain cynical toward it actually being worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
I think the trailer's kind of OK, though Spidey has always been my preferred major superhero property. Anyway, the more POV the better. Let's get all De Palma up in this bitch.
I'm gonna bawl like a baby when Martin Sheen's Uncle Ben dies. The MS would've gotten Bartlet anyway.

It's funny you bring up De Palma. When my buddy and I did our "Marvel in the '70s" casting, we had him pegged to do the Spidey joint, opted for George Lucas instead. De Palma got Ghost Rider. It may be the geekiest thing that I've ever done, bookshelf humping notwithstanding.