Upcoming Films of Interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, I remember, we were both doing our best to convert more people into Brothers Bloom fans.

I'm not super excited about the subject matter, in the wake of Public Enemies and Boardwalk Empire, but the cast, director and potential soundtrack certainly excite me. Really hokey editing & music cues on this trailer though.

Lawless - Movie Trailers - iTunes

Gorgeous First Look At Carlos Reygadas’ Cannes Contender 'Post Tenebras Lux' | The Playlist

Oh man, yessss.

Post-Tenebras-Lux-5.jpg

Post-Tenebras-Lux-4.jpg

I saw previews on that a couple of weeks ago

It look's good, it seems like something a clever film student could have made, simple story, no real budget required, the whole success will be contingent upon deft execution.

I did enjoy Another Earth a lot.

I hope this film is well received,
her next project has a cast that will get some attention

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1869716/combined

I did hear a short, mostly positive review (Sound of my Voice) on KPCC film-week. I heard two words that kind of spoiled it.

This films can be similar, but will certainly be different.

on Ellen Page

I liked Juno, ok
I thought she was terribly miscast in Inception

but she really won me over in SUPER, so i am a fan now.
I think that movie is one of the better black comedies I have seen in a long time. She and Rainn Wilson really commit to the characters and concept. As good or better than any one in the Eastbound & Down series.

I did hear a short, mostly positive review (Sound of my Voice) on KPCC film-week. I heard two words that kind of spoiled it.

This films can be similar, but will certainly be different.

I find the taste of the revolving panel of Film Week critics to be pretty poor. They shoot down almost every film that gets discussed. Larry Mantle probably has better taste than any of them.

on Ellen Page

I liked Juno, ok
I thought she was terribly miscast in Inception

but she really won me over in SUPER, so i am a fan now.
I think that movie is one of the better black comedies I have seen in a long time. She and Rainn Wilson really commit to the characters and concept. As good or better than any one in the Eastbound & Down series.

Have you seen Hard Candy and/or Whip It?

Brit Marling, star and co-writer of Another Earth has a new film, which she also did double-duty on. Different director this time.

'Sound Of My Voice' Trailer HD - YouTube

I really do want to see this, but at the same time, the trailer creeps me the fuck out in ways horror movies absolutely can't, because some people actually act like this or get caught up in schemes like it.

That is unless the twist is that the "cult" is actually right about her, though I doubt it.

Then again I made it through MMMM just fine, so I'm sure I'll watch it. I doubt it's going to roll out too far though as it kind of choked off the starting blocks last week in super limited release. But Fox Searchlight is usually pretty dependable on rolling things out well. Actually come to think of it, MMMM was released by them too. Are we going to get a yearly movie about a cult from them now?

'Cosmopolis' Trailer HD - YouTube

Sweet god this is going to be amazing.

See this seems to have turned up everything I hated about the book to 11 (and the author is one of my all time favorite writers), it came off as his attempt to fit in the Chuck Palahniuk mode of satire, rather than his past work that was more quietly subversive and intricate in their satirical content. That I could take (though again it seems annoyingly amplified here), but the reason I hated it so much is just how absolutely smarmy and unrelatable all the characters are. Sure there's a place for that kind of writing, I just tend to look for human stories I can care about from the things I enjoy.

So I'm going to have a hard time getting into this, though Cronenberg's clearly gone all out.

I do like how it's clearly been worked to make it more reflective of the world right now though. And I had no idea people like Almaric, Morton and Giamatti were going to be in it. So that's a plus.

I think I'm always going to be mad that Farrell was replaced with Pattinson of all people though.

And finally I think I'm one of the few who much prefers Cronenberg's more grounded work of A History of Violence-->Eastern Promises-->A Dangerous Method to his earlier batshit work. Sure he made himself known for it, and it makes people uncomfortable in a way few other filmmakers can, but the depth of character he got out of his grounded works is more interesting to me. That and his leading man during that run.

Well, I don't know anything about the source material or its tone, let alone the qualities of its characters, but I doubt any of that's going to matter too much to me. Cronenberg has the authorial power to turn anything into engaging purely cinematic material. Also, I'm a huge fan of his work the past decade, and not at all fond of much of it pre-The Fly. His 90s work found a sort of sweet spot between his early wackiness and formal precision that's come to define him for me. Still my favorites are Dead Ringers and A History of Violence, so it's all good.

That's cool that you like both sides of him, no wonder A History of Violence sits near the top for you as it very much straddles the line. I know others do too, but there's a definite vocal portion of the film fanatic world that's just been clamoring for him to drop the drama and go full out body horror again.

Looking at my comment, my "that's cool" might come off as flippant or condescending, not intended. I'm probably just being too reflexive at the moment though.

I actually really like Lars & the Real Girl. This seems like a retread of a concept that's been done before, yet my brain is not coming up with any examples of it right now.

Also, I cannot stand Paul Dano, he's a decent actor, but he's become overexposed indie ubiquitous and has that awkward never-aging man-child thing and he weirds me out.

So, also advantage Lars in that case.

Let us talk of how glorious The Amazing Spider-Man trailer is, this is the real Peter Parker/Spidey, if it weren't for the well done drama of Spider-Man 2 I'd say in my mind Raimi's films never happened. For someone who claimed to be such a huge fan of Spidey growing up he missed the point of the character all along. He was too busy bringing his camp feel to the Marvel world. Not just the feel of the character, but the look and phsyicality, all of which is rectified here. This is the most convincing translation of a superhero from comic to live action I've ever seen. It also does a nice mashup of classic Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man elements to modernize the proceedings.

What this rectifies:
-Peter Parker isn't just a nerd, he's actually a science genius.
-He doesn't become jacked as Spider-Man, he looks much the same as he did, lanky/wiry, but far stronger than he appears, like, you know, a spider.
-He's a cocky smartass when he's safe behind the mask.
-His movements and postures when swinging and fighting, how quick and agile he is, down to the way he has to propel himself forward by pulling back on each strand.
-The fun of Spider-Man and a lot of what drew so many fans is how much of his story takes place with him having to also be a regular teenager, Raimi's films ended high school like 30 minutes in, and never actually evoked a realistic feeling of that time in kids' lives. We haven't seen a lot of the teenage character's interactions so who knows if they pull it off here, but at least the whole thing takes place with him in high school.
-They made the suit look more like something someone could actually make themselves, down to the fact that his boots are clearly track spikes.

It obviously helps them get the movements right by using physical stunts for the web-slinging and fighting scenes rather than relying on CGI.

I like many members of the cast of Raimi's films, but most of them didn't fit in those characters. Maguire did fine with what they gave him, but angsty teenager is a lot more believable and relatable than whiny goody too shoes. This cast so far seems to inhabit the roles, and is just stacked with great actors.

It remains to be seen of course if Webb can pull of the storytelling, but all indications point to yes.

Also, I guess they rounded a lot of movie bloggers up and showed them the preview in its native 3D form and did a Q&A with Webb. Word is this completely ramps up 3D filmmaking and blows Avatar out of the water.

I'm glad I waited to see it on the big screen first at The Avengers at midnight last night.

I was amused by the last line sung being "killed my dream" or something, and then the tagline comes up "THE DREAM LIVES". :lol:

Back
Top Bottom