Upcoming Films of Interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
00a6h05b

#EmancipatorSwag

The only thing that could have made it better was if they had let the Alien-teaser style high-pitched effects stand alone without shoe-horning in the Inception TUBASYNTH!!!

Not at all sure if this is old news or not, but Malick is using the Alexa on at least one of his upcoming films.

ryan-gosling-rooney-mara-lawless-set-05.jpg

That actually is news to me, but then again note that the stuff shot this year with Gosling & Bale is supposedly just warm-up/pre-production for the shoots next year. Is Lubezki DP for his next films?

Yeah I actually just heard that he's allegedly only using the Alexa for pre-vis stuff on those projects and plans on shooting film for both of them.. for now anyway. Would love to see what a full-DV Malick picture would look like though.

At some point Malick is going to find it harder to raise funds for his more ambitious projects...I'm actually amazed that he got Tree of Life made.

And shooting on video saves a great deal of money, especially considering how much he shoots.

It's only a matter of time.

Well, the involvement of Brad Pitt (as star & producer) & Sean Penn probably brought a lot of cache with financiers. As sort of the last guardian of non-IMAX 65mm film use (though apparently some shots in TTOL were done with IMAX cameras as well), I kind of want him to stick with film stock, despite advances in digital cinematography.

But even with those names, the film probably didn't make its money back

Perhaps a more modestly-budgeted film (as the one he's shooting now looks to be) with Gosling, Bale, etc. will manage to turn a profit.

Tree of Life made $55m worldwide thus far on a budget of $35m, with residual sales & such it'll be profitable & is hardly a disaster based on investment. It did better than The New World did on a similar budget, and yet he still managed to get it off the ground relatively soon after that film. Plus he financed & shot his next film before Tree of Life was ever released. If he was trying to make $50-100m opuses I'd be worried about him getting budgets, but as he's made his personal, huge project, it should be considerably easier from now on like you said.

I love the addition of Edward Norton, Tilda Swinton and Frances McDormand (and hell Bruce Willis too), but I miss the Wilson brothers (What happened there? they were Anderson's biggest collaborators) and Anjelica Huston.

"I'm going to find a tree to chop down" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom