Upcoming Films of Disinterest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought the first Pirates was pretty good, but I'm a whore for creatures and stuff, so I prefer all the badguys from the second movie. That's enough for me to enjoy it more

I thought it was a film based on a beloved animated TV series inspired by toys but I guess that's splitting hairs. Or maybe not, not sure. Either way, it was an unenjoyable film.

The worst thing about transformers was that, what should've been the coolest part, was horribly done. When all the robots started fighting each other, you couldn't even tell who was who. It was just a jumble of sharp metal

The worst thing about transformers was that, what should've been the coolest part, was horribly done. When all the robots started fighting each other, you couldn't even tell who was who. It was just a jumble of sharp metal

Agreed. I figured Bay would at least get that right....and he instead got it very wrong. Oh well. Hopefully some of you go see Transformers 3 and are pleasantly surprised.

I think you're putting too much emotion into all this, you can tell Depp honestly has a ton of fun playing Jack Sparrow, the movies provide diverting big screen entertainment and Disney, a corporation (you know, those things that exist purely to make money) get to count their billions, making another one does no harm. Now I will completely agree with you that many of his choices and even performances have become painfully dull, but that doesn't negate his career or talent, and it certainly doesn't negate Rango which is one of the most batshit creative big budget movies ever and easily Depp's best performance since Sweeney Todd if not the original Pirates, so you're missing out on it big time.

Oh entirely. And as I said, I'm not ignorant as to the money situation. But I'll be honest, I was NEVER a big fan of Jack Sparrow. He was an aspect of the film I put up with. Depp has far better roles under his belt, and lately, I just haven't seen them from him.

Add to that the fucking two-headed monster that is He and Tim Burton, and I just began to be incapable of taking him seriously.

And I couldn't watch Sweeney Todd. I actually watched it on fast forward 1x, so that the closed captioning would still pop up on the DVD. I just wanted to see how it ended, but I despised every musical aspect of the film, and Depp's performance almost equally.

Yeah, you really need to see Rango. Pure joy to watch.

I'll see it eventually. As soon as it comes out on DVD, for sure.

I'm a very simple man when it comes to movies. Of all the films nominated for best picture at the Oscars I saw only Toy Story 3 (and I think that was the only time I actually went to the movies at all last year) and The Social Network, both of which I loved. Now, I may very well have enjoyed The King's Speech, True Grit, Black Swan, etc, but I was never going to go see them because I'm just not that into going to see movies I guess. I loved The Hangover, and I'll definitely be seeing this one, and I'm greatly looking forward to it. Judging by the minute long trailer I've seen, it doesn't look as funny as the first one, but I've just got higher hopes for it than you guys, probably because I'm not a film buff.

But this is simply a thread to discuss shit films you'll be staying away from, and I can't think of any, so I'll quietly back out.

Sorry for the triple post, I missed that we were on a new page and then I just fucked everything up.

Re: Transformers. I went in with the lowest of expectations because I've never been a big fan (I fucking adored Beast Wars as a kid though), and ended up quite surprised. Didn't enjoy it enough to bother with the sequel, and a friend of mine who is an obsessed toy collector and avid fan told me not to bother, so I haven't.

So I'm not the only one who likes the The Count of Monte Cristo film that came out a few years back?

Well, I guess I worded that poorly....I'm a sucker for film versions of Dumas' work in that I'll go see them.....can't claim to have liked every single one of them.

But if you mean the version with Dumbledore.1, Jesus and Guy Pearce, then, yes, I liked it.

I don't care how it looks, I'm a sucker for every single fucking film based on Dumas' books. Good, bad or otherwise.

I think P.W.S. Anderson is possibly the best B-movie director in Hollywood right now. His Resident Evil movies are a fucking blast (the whole series is a big pleasure of mine), along with Event Horizon, and of course Mortal Kombat. His other few aren't quite as enjoyable, but whatever. This looks fantastic fun. Plus Milla.

I'm a very simple man when it comes to movies. Of all the films nominated for best picture at the Oscars I saw only Toy Story 3 (and I think that was the only time I actually went to the movies at all last year) and The Social Network, both of which I loved. Now, I may very well have enjoyed The King's Speech, True Grit, Black Swan, etc, but I was never going to go see them because I'm just not that into going to see movies I guess. I loved The Hangover, and I'll definitely be seeing this one, and I'm greatly looking forward to it. Judging by the minute long trailer I've seen, it doesn't look as funny as the first one, but I've just got higher hopes for it than you guys, probably because I'm not a film buff.

But this is simply a thread to discuss shit films you'll be staying away from, and I can't think of any, so I'll quietly back out.

See, Danny, the problem here is that you sound completely unwilling to try, and that's really disappointing.

Well, I guess I worded that poorly....I'm a sucker for film versions of Dumas' work in that I'll go see them.....can't claim to have liked every single one of them.

But if you mean the version with Dumbledore.1, Jesus and Guy Pearce, then, yes, I liked it.

When it came out, my dad had an illegal satellite hook-up, so he had free PPV. He would get into this horrible habit of watching the same movies about 100 times before they were no longer available on PPV. That version of Monte Cristo was one of the films he was really really bad about, but I loved it a lot. Hadn't seen it since then until last week when I caught it on TV. Was quite pleased to see I still liked it a great deal.

Dead Man's Chest is kind of in line with Temple of Doom, its much more insane than the first film but also much darker. The first time I saw it I was kind of disappointed that the humor seemed like it was trying too hard to do what worked in the first one, but I enjoyed the ridiculous action set pieces and still had fun with the characters, on subsequent viewings I came to appreciate some of the humor more because of the body language of the actors, but the plot is bloated and the film less successful entertainment than the first. Also, the biggest thing that detracts from the fun of DMC is that Sparrow isn't a delightful rogue anymore, but an actual despicable pirate. The 3rd could have worked a hell of a lot better with like 20 or 30 minutes and 20 or 30 backstabbings cut out, as well as the Calypso crap. As it was the voyage to and time in Davey Jones' Locker hints at the ridiculous creative bent Verbinski was to go onto with Rango, and sue me I enjoyed the insanity of all the pirate lords and Keira as "king".

They would have been well served to strip the film down completely for the 4th, Depp and Rush and crew battling some supernatural force and each other for control of some prize (the Pearl, and the Fountain of Youth as hinted at in the 3rd one) and leave behind the bloat of politics and overdoing the CGI beasties and romance, for the most part it seemed like that's what they were going to do until they also shoehorned in another set of young lovers and the English crown into the proceedings, adding back in some of the elements that weakened the sequels.

Still, I guess I'm just a PotC whore, because I'm still going to go in for some seafaring popcorn entertainment this weekend.

When it came out, my dad had an illegal satellite hook-up, so he had free PPV. He would get into this horrible habit of watching the same movies about 100 times before they were no longer available on PPV. That version of Monte Cristo was one of the films he was really really bad about, but I loved it a lot. Hadn't seen it since then until last week when I caught it on TV. Was quite pleased to see I still liked it a great deal.

I hate to use this word twice in one thread to describe art but, it was a fun movie for sure.

Mofo's eye just started twitching uncontrollably and he doesn't know why yet

I was one of those people who was using the free PPV just because it was free. I spent one whole afternoon trying to watch Open Water because it was on PPV. I've spoke about this before, but yeah, I fell asleep three times in a row and had to start the movie over four times.

Oh and Mike, yeah, I agree, when it comes to Dumas books, especially The Three Musketeers, I'm on board.

I hate to admit it now, but when The Three Musketeers 1997? film came out, it was one of the biggest things that had ever happened in my life to that point. I still like the movie, but it's one of the great many many nostalgia films I am still quite fond of.

That damn book is just one of my favorite books ever, is all.

Back
Top Bottom