Up In The Air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
Just saw it on Friday. Wonderful film. Clooney is excellent in it...and I'm saying that as one who was never a fan (except for his role in Michael Clayton). Anyone else see Up In The Air?

:lol: Dude why dont you post your screen shot :wink:

15734_226208544691_593664691_4317058_2806686_n.jpg

:tongue:

I saw it - thought it was alright. It wasn't quite what I expected - i.e. I wanted more airline/travel stuff to exciting places, etc.

I saw it - thought it was alright. It wasn't quite what I expected - i.e. I wanted more airline/travel stuff to exciting places, etc.

No offense but did you read anything about it before you went to see it? :) It's not really about the travel or the places of course..

I loved it. Definitely one of my top movies of the year. Great movie to see during the holidays.

No offense but did you read anything about it before you went to see it? :) It's not really about the travel or the places of course..

I read a couple brief articles and saw the trailers, and a mention about the frequent flier miles. The wedding part really dragged on. I just thought they could have mixed in a bit more interesting travel/destination related stuff in with the other (boring) airline/travel content they did use. The trailer and articles seemed to mention FF miles as a central theme, but in the end the story could have been told with no mention of the high mile balance. I guess product placement revenue was paid for that. The ending was a bit lame imo.

I think for the plot and characters the wedding sequence had to drag/be awkward and that the travel part had to be non-glamorous because of the layoffs and the depressed areas that they'd be taking place in (which is everywhere now of course). I thought using real people who had been laid off was very effective-even though the audience would probably know that only if they'd done some reading about the movie. I think the high mile balance is symbolic, and for that reason it's important to the story. And of course what happens with it eventually, that's a nice touch.

You can put it in a spoiler tag, but what exactly didn't you like about the ending?

the twist is fantastic, I certainly never saw that coming

I thought using real people who had been laid off was very effective-even though the audience would probably know that only if they'd done some reading about the movie. I think the high mile balance is symbolic, and for that reason it's important to the story. And of course what happens with it eventually, that's a nice touch.

You can put it in a spoiler tag, but what exactly didn't you like about the ending?

Oh - I thought those were actors. Interesting to hear they were real layoffs, even though they had to act for the movie.

The twist was interesting, but I don't always like endings where they leave it to the imagination. Show what city he picks from the board, and show him relaxing on the beach or whatever in a 5 star resort paid for by miles - just my personal preference.

I loved it. Definitely one of my top movies of the year. Great movie to see during the holidays.

I heard about in on NPR a few weeks ago and saw it yesterday. I was not disappointed. I thought it was quite a nuanced film. I might actually want to own it--and very very few movies make that cut for me. Of the three Reitman films I've seen, I liked this one the best. (And if you've seen Juno and Thank You for Smoking the ending shouldn't come as too much of a surprise).

I'm interested in reading the novel now, though I hear it's quite different.

Took me forever to place the woman who played Clooney's love interest in this movie but I just read she was the police psychiatrist in the Departed.

Took me forever to place the woman who played Clooney's love interest in this movie but I just read she was the police psychiatrist in the Departed.

I love her. She was also wonderful in a movie hardly anyone I know saw or even heard of, Never Forever. Check it out on Netflix.

The twist was interesting, but I don't always like endings where they leave it to the imagination. Show what city he picks from the board, and show him relaxing on the beach or whatever in a 5 star resort paid for by miles - just my personal preference.

That's what I liked about it-maybe it's just because we're different in that way, that's one thing that makes movies great :)

I've seen Juno and Thank You For Smoking and Up In The Air is my favorite too. And the woman is Vera Famiglia. I thought she and George had the best chemistry I've ever seen him have with an actress in a movie (I can't remember most of his leading ladies strangely enough :wink: so maybe that's why hers stands out even more) . And as much as I love George I think Anna Kendrick gave the best performance in the movie.

I love her. She was also wonderful in a movie hardly anyone I know saw or even heard of, Never Forever. Check it out on Netflix.

I read about this not too long ago because she talked about it in a recent interview, and have it on my "to buy" list. Sounds very interesting.

She also was the surprise Best Actress winner of the Los Angeles Film Critics Awards a few years back for a small film called Down to the Bone, where she plays a recovering drug addict. I can not recommend this highly enough; a very powerful performance that immediately put her near the top of my list of working actresses.

I read about this not too long ago because she talked about it in a recent interview, and have it on my "to buy" list. Sounds very interesting.

She also was the surprise Best Actress winner of the Los Angeles Film Critics Awards a few years back for a small film called Down to the Bone, where she plays a recovering drug addict. I can not recommend this highly enough; a very powerful performance that immediately put her near the top of my list of working actresses.

Yeah, buy it - it's steamy, you'll want repeated viewings. :wink:

Oh, I forgot about Down to the Bone. She was indeed fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom