UnREAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I can't not talk about this, I had to make a thread for it!

My girlfriend is like the world's biggest (well, definitely Australia's biggest) Bachelor/Bachelorette fan. She loves it and has got me into it. We watched on as Ben told both Jojo and Lauren that he loved them, and then sailed into the sunset with Lauren. And currently watching The Bachelorette, which is muuuuch better, yes, there's less good-looking women, but that is more than made up for by bulk Jojo and all the dickhead males trying to be the alpha dog.

Anyway.

She's banged on about UnREAL for a while and I noticed it was on Stan (our version of Netflix yesterday) so I thought I'd give it a shot while I was eating brunch on the couch at home.

Wow. I did not expect to be so blown away. I generally don't give much time to television; Bojack Horseman was the last show I got super into and binge-watched, and it was Breaking Bad before that. Never seen Game of Thrones, Mad Men is stunning to watch but moves too slowly (and therefore hasn't been gripping enough to pull me back in), I'm told The Americans is "the best show on TV".

But I'm just really excited to be super into a TV show again. I've watched the first four episodes and excited to watch the rest of seasons one and two (and I see it's been picked up for a third, which I'm hoping will be have a female suitor, will be interesting to see how the producers deal with a bunch of dudebro contestants).

The thing about it that has struck me so much is how similar it is to Breaking Bad. Stylistically and thematically I think it's quite similar - it's billed as a drama but is more like a psychological horror/thriller than anything. You have two main protagonists, one elder statesman (Quinn/Walt) who manipulate the 2IC (Rachel/Jesse). Just like with Walt and Jesse, you hate that you root for them, but you just do. They have to do truly awful things - Jesse killing Gale to prevent Walt dying, Rachel using a contestant's father's death as a "psycho bitch" montage - and yet you still feel for them, because they're troubled. And just when you think there might be a glimmer of hope (Rachel's former housemate hands over her laptop, Jesse gets back on his feet with Andrea and her son Brock), it is taken away in the blink of an eye (Rachel gets the money but the housemate releases the files, Brock is murdered). The glitchy, electro soundtrack is also there.

It's really, really great. Anyone else watching?

Haven't watched this yet, but The AV Club are showering it with praise too.

Did you ever watch Burning Love? Also a send up if The Bachelor but in an Adult Swim style.

One episode turned into four, so I guess that says something.

Really addicting, like the shows it's satirizing. I'm not sure if I love it or not, but it is good drama.

^ I posted that halfway through the episode. They do not prepare you for the end. Jesus fucking christ.

"No more half-measures, Walt..."

Ohh man. This week's episode was heeeeeavy. At least when Mary died last year it felt self-contained. This week was all too real.

Can't see the light at the end of the tunnel for Rachel at the moment. And Yael is up to some bullshit.

Anyone watching? Episode eight was just as heavy, but it was all psychological instead of action.

I was absolutely convinced that Coleman was a Good Dude™ but I got a horrible sinking feeling in my gut when he had a still-drugged-up Rachel on camera and then said "you can tell me anything". I am just hoping that the tiny glint in Rachel's eye when he said it meant that she realised he was being a conniving dog. But then came the sexual abuse stuff, which is so, so dark, and holy motherfucking christ her mother is pure, unadulterated evil. And then the end where Coleman walks out on her to Yael.

Everything's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Great episode.

The show took a significant dive in quality in the second season imo. Just a lot of ridiculous plot points that moved waaaaayyy too fast. Last ep felt quite literally unreal.

Not sure I'd call it "enjoyable"..it leaves me feeling dirty and in need of soul cleansing. Still, I can't look away..

Stranger Things, however, is quite enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom