Twin Peaks - It Is Happening Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
I thought we needed a thread to discuss the new series. It's kinda hard to believe it's real. But I'm incredibly excited. The trailers have looked great. And David Lynch is back directing (and co-starring) of course. It starts this Sunday on Showtime.

My heart may be blacker than midnight on a moonless night but at least we can talk about PEAKS.

Most exciting return for me since The Phantom Menace. And obviously this won't suck.

Watching now. Not sure I'll get through both hours od the premiere. We finally have warm weather in Seattle and I tore myself away from my deck to watch it .... but the sun still calls me.

Watched both halves and am glad I did. The second hour was super freaky and awesome.

Also, I'm beyond thrilled they're still using the same theme song. That whole CD remains awesome.

Premiers in Aus in 18 minutes - so excited. My wife is working and I can't watch it for a few hours though - Glad you liked it Cori - really looking forward to it!

That was surreal to say the least! The first hour was a bit tough to get through but I kind of expected that with Lynch.

But that 2nd half was fantastic. I'm really happy with the plot line so far. Gonna watch hours 3&4 today!

Absolutely brilliant, it sticks with the creepier theme of Fire Walk With Me and ramps it up a few extra notches. As good as I had hoped it would be.

On episode 3 now. This is crazy! I'm sure a lot of casual watchers will be turned off but this is a dream come true for diehards.

That sucks. This show was pitched as basically one giant movie, so it makes no sense to wait two weeks for the next installment

I feel your pain, I binge watched all four in one go and then realised I'd have to wait however long for the next one!

As Mikal said, great excuse to watch them all again.

I didn't think it would be possible to top FWWM but I think this series could.

That sucks. This show was pitched as basically one giant movie, so it makes no sense to wait two weeks for the next installment
Some folks waited 25 years. Personally, I first saw the series about 15 years ago and never thought I'd get answers to the cliffhanger from the season 2 finale. I can wait 2 more weeks!

Yeah I get it, but after that long, its such a tease to have a taste, but know we are about 4 months away form it finishing! So good though - HELLLOOO-OOOO!!!!!

They released episodes 3 and 4 early because next weekend is Memorial Day and many will be vacationing and unable to watch on Sunday night.

And to entice people to subscribe since they got four episodes right away...and it led to more people signing up for Showtime than ever in their history.

It is hilarious that the first two hours were so fucking weird, yet it just got even zanier in Episode 3...things are starting to settle down though and I'm sure most of the action will be taking place in Twin Peaks shortly.

A really great start and easily the show of the year for anybody who was already a fan.

Netflix is fucking ruining the way we consume media like television. The fact that they put two episodes online early pisses me off more than it should have. I'll gladly watch them Sunday when they air as they were meant to.

The first two halves have me sufficiently pleased. I'm so excited guys!

Netflix has such a huge advantage over anyone else because they're producing so much damn content and have so many subscribers to help pay for it. So they don't really care, but no other network or streaming service can afford to just chuck up all the episodes at once because they'll just have people canceling their subscriptions after they watch the show they want.

So while that's the model where things will be heading in a lot of ways as services like Netflix will lead to a cable channel crunch which in turn will make Netflix the home of an even larger portion of the best shows, this weekly schedule is definitely the best release format for Twin Peaks. There's so much happening to digest that it's great that we'll have a week to think about all the Lynchian awesomeness.

I actually kind of like this new trend of dumping an initial handful of episodes followed by a traditional weekly release schedule. The first batch upfront kind of gets me more motivated to make the first dive in (not like I wouldn't eventually watch the new Peaks but ...) and it seems to get drum up a little extra hype/discussion off the bat which likely benefits some shows.

Anyway I'm only on the first episode and it's great. Definitely feels more Mulholland Dr than FWWM/Inland Empire (as I've most frequently seen brought up as points of comparison) which is a good thing! Favorite stuff so far has been the New York stuff. Whoa.

This shit has been fucking awesome so far. So many little moments/sequences that have stuck with me already but I want to highlight what is on my mind right now. And that is the return of Angelo Badalamenti's piece "Laura Palmer's Theme" in episode 4. One of my favorite pieces of TV music ever. They made us wait four episodes for it and they use it as Bobby breaks down merely at the sight of Laura's old photo. Haunting, hilarious, nostalgic, empowering, all at once.

The fourth episode is my favorite so far and I'm insanely geeked up for next Sunday already.

I was so sad to see the credits roll on episode 4. Fucking great hour of television, and so cathartic to see more of the old gang. Lynch was so on point and Coop interacting with that kid was awesome.

Last edited:
Guys. That first 15 minutes of episode 3.

So far my favourite part of the show. There were shades of Eraserhead (especially with Cooper's goofy fall in the beginning and Briggs' floating face), but a lot of it, particularly in the way it was edited and photographed, seemed like new territory for Lynch. Loved it.

The nerve tree in the Black Lodge from episode 2 definitely gave me Eraserhead vibes. That space allows for a lot of references and free associative fun in that vein.

I was so sad to see the credits roll on episode 4. Fucking great hour of television, and so cathartic to see more of the old gang. Lynch was so on point and Coop interacting with that kid was awesome.

Stupid episode. Almost all of it dragged, almost all of the humor fell flat. The weakest so far.

Who told Lynch it was a good idea to make Gordon so prominent?

The only thing in the episode that was iffy for me was Michael Cera's cringeworthy scene, and even that had a certain longwinded, Sideshow-Bob-stepping-on-rakes appeal to it. After about 20 seconds, I caught on to the caricature his monologue was tapping into and started to laugh. I want to believe that scene was a sincere apology for James dragging the show down in season 2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom