Twin Peaks - It Is Happening Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Interesting and fun.

Hard to tell if it's cherry picking or if it's a meaningful thing.

My interpretation of Dianne, after she "crossed" with Cooper is that she ended up with Richard and is on a different timeline than Cooper.

I think the other Dianne she saw at the motel was her double and the double's name is Linda.
Lynch shows us Dianne's double, to clue us in that the Cooper look alike that steps out of the motel isn't Cooper -- but Richard.

Note that Richard walks straight to the door and waits for Dianne -- he does not open the car door for her as Cooper would (note that Cooper later opens the door for Laura at the gas station).

So Dianne sleeps with Richard and that's why she behaves as she does -- she realizes that it's not Cooper.

Meanwhile, Cooper sleeps with Linda and Linda realizes it's not Richard, hence the note that Cooper finds the next morning (not to mention his confusion).

I'm probably 100% wrong but that's my current thought on Dianne.

If there was a season 4, we'd not only get a lot of Laura, but Dianne as a side story in a parallel timeline.

You keep spelling Diane wrong in your post so it's hard to take anything you say seriously.

I'm not sure I take what I say seriously anyway, so it's all good.

Btw, I'll add one more thing since you found my post so enjoyable.

If anyone wonders what happened to the other Diane (better?) -- who was really Linda -- standing outside the motel just before "Cooper" (who was really Richard) stepped out, it all has to do with a theory of Quantum Physics.

The idea that when we make choices we create parallel universes where both realities occur.

When Diane sees Linda, that act of observation/choice creates a parallel world where Linda exists -- with Cooper. Then of course Diane is in the other world with Richard.

Now, correct my spelling and get back to me.

I 100 % believe there was always going to be a s4, once the premiere did as well as it did getting new subscribers. They don't care if this show makes money. It's a passion project for both parties, and I think the only reason they've been dancing around whether there'll be another season was to not spoil the cliffhanger ending.

God I love this show.

I'd like to think Coop's line to the gang at the station: "I hope to see all of you again," is Lynch and Frost talking to the fans. That's how I took it.

They've introduced so many new characters there is plenty of room for another season. Not to mention, the Fireman showed Andy the pole with the number 6 on it, the one outside of Carrie's (Laura Palmer's) home, so that implies Andy will be instrumental in getting the Coop and Laura story resolved. Or something in the ballpark.

I just don't think Showtime is interested because the show didn't pull high enough ratings. Maybe if they sell enough merchandise they'll reconsider.

I just don't think Showtime is interested because the show didn't pull high enough ratings. Maybe if they sell enough merchandise they'll reconsider.

Showtime's president of programming:

"The door’s always open to David Lynch, whether that would lead to another season, I don’t know if he wants to do it...This was a Herculean effort. I’m not sure if any director has ever done 18 hours in a row of a series… It’s remarkable what he achieved, fans are liking it and for me that’s what’s satisfying.”

It's up to Lynch and Frost, period.

Showtime's president of programming:

"The door’s always open to David Lynch, whether that would lead to another season, I don’t know if he wants to do it...This was a Herculean effort. I’m not sure if any director has ever done 18 hours in a row of a series… It’s remarkable what he achieved, fans are liking it and for me that’s what’s satisfying.”

It's up to Lynch and Frost, period.

There's no one pulling for another season more than me. But it's not simply up to Lynch and Frost. There are a whole room of executives who will also weigh in on that decision. The quote you provide would seem encouraging, but keep in mind what is said for public consumption isn't always all there is to the business of production.

Here is a quote from a recent Variety article (which was very positive for TP's run this summer):

Despite that cliff-hanger ending, Showtime execs have long stated they envisioned the new Peaks as a one-shot limited-series event. . . . . This fact makes the soft initial numbers for Peaks redux much easier to take. Though Showtime and Lynch haven’t entirely slammed the door on another batch of episodes, Twin Peaks: The Return exists as a finished project,

Maybe there's hope after all.

I hope Showtime will be willing and if not Showtime, another will foot the bill:

In support of his “Small Stories” photo exhibition currently on display at the Belgrade Culture Centre (Kulturni Centar Beograda) in Serbia, David Lynch participated in a public Skype session projected onto the cinema screen of KCB’s jam-packed theater. It marked the first public event where he would talk Twin Peaks since the perplexing finale on September 3rd.

While taking several questions from the audience face-to-face, the director declined to reveal the fate of Audrey Horne, whose very last shot in Part 15 was both abrupt and confusing. “What matters is what you believe happened,” he clarified. “That’s the whole thing. There are lots of things in life, and we wonder about them, and we have to come to our own conclusions. You can, for example, read a book that raises a series of questions, and you want to talk to the author, but he died a hundred years ago. That’s why everything is up to you.” In other words, and as noticeably demonstrated by the Twin Peaks discussion forum, we are all detectives.

Whether there will be a 4th season of Twin Peaks is too early to say, he told the crowd, adding that if the series would continue, fans would have to be extremely patient. Again. “It took me four and a half years to write and film this season.”

I'll be damned.

Saw David Lynch and Sheryl Lee talk this weekend as well as rewatched Fire Walk with Me. This series might have suddenly elevated to my favorite thing.

Saw David Lynch and Sheryl Lee talk this weekend as well as rewatched Fire Walk with Me. This series might have suddenly elevated to my favorite thing.

Twin Peaks is my favorite thing. Warts and blemishes and all.

Then again, there aren't a whole lot of series I can get into, even when they are well produced.

Let's see . . some others I watched and liked to varying extents would be Lost, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Game Of Thrones . . . West World . . . I think that's it.

I've not cared enough to go on the Reddits and the like and post my long rambling theory, but I really think Lynch and Frost took a known entity, in this case Twin Peaks, and basically used it to make a long anti-consumerist message. Obviously, nobody is denying that the theme didn't pop up over-and-over again in Season 3, sometimes absolutely blatantly like when Norma realizes there's more to life than worrying about franchising her restaurant, etc.

But, to me, the entire premise goes back to the "prequel" episode from this summer and it's basically a thinly veiled critique of the post-World War II consumer culture. The "ghost" dudes or whatever you want to call them can just be flat out talking about oil and consumption and what it means for society at large...

"This is the water. This is the well. Drink full and descend."

Makes perfect sense to me. Then there's Twin Peaks itself kind of being a place that has managed to survive quite a while from succumbing to these instincts. Andy and Lucy are the best representatives of this as seen through their son and his worldviews, through the fact that Lucy doesn't use a cellphone or understand how they work, etc. But even they have fallen for it when we see Lucy shopping on the internet for a couch or whatever.

I mean, it doesn't really require many brain cells to see the sadness in Dougie's existence or how his wife is happy enough to get a replacement Dougie that will do his husbandly duties of merely providing money and a penis for her to fuck. Or how Dougie's son was positively orgasmic at the sight of mere materialism when he gets the playground set.

There's way more to it than this and I just don't have the willpower to sit and my computer and type about it for hours, but once you see that this was kind of the central theme of most of Season 3, it only makes it more and more brilliant. Then you realize just why we endured so much of the Dougie stuff because it was basically hammering home that point...like, what did the actual Dougie do to escape his suburban nightmare? Went for prostitutes. Sounds a lot like Leland, eh? What did Sarah Palmer do? Basically intoxicate herself. What did Laura Palmer do to escape? Fuck and intoxicate herself.

Last edited:
The Audrey storyline isn't that hard to figure out. All you have to do is go back and re-watch the first scene with her. It's clearly a relationship between her and her nurse/caretaker. They make this even more obvious when we last see her basically wearing a robe as she looks in the mirror, realizing she's aged or is disfigured from the Season 2 explosion or whatever. I get the feeling it's just a mental health thing though (because it "runs in the family") and that she willingly slept with evil Cooper so she likely survived the explosion unscathed.

The other key to it is that Billy is most definitely the guy in the jail cell who is basically clinical as well. His face fits the description given at the bar about what happened to him. He's just somebody else that Audrey has contact with and who basically escaped the mental ward.

The scenes in the bar that aren't just the band performing at the end of an episode (which are really just for fun since Lynch admitted to just wanting the music to be good) are basically the mental/hospital ward although some of the people talking are likely the caretakers as well. Probably could be considered the cafeteria. The girl crawling across the floor is someone with a physical handicap who was basically pushed aside from a table.

So, the British dude basically punches a disabled person when they visit the place and James is just performing for a bunch of people that are hospitalized. That explains why James and the British guy are basically jailed right away for their actions at "the bar" and it explains why some mentally incompetent person was pissed off at James looking at his wife or whatever. You can argue that these are elderly and/or infirm people that still see themselves through their youthful lens when that's not reality. Hence Audrey freaking out when she's realizes she's now decades older.

Last edited:
For me, the only nut I haven't been able to crack and item that didn't have a lot of subtext going on was the FBI stuff. I guess it had to be kind of literal to sort of get us to where we wanted to go, but there's still 4th wall breaks such as Lynch's character imagining himself in France with an actress having a coffee next to where an actual Lynch exhibition was, similar to the 4th wall break at the very end of the show when the actual homeowner of Laura's house in real life meets Cooper and "Laura"

" . . . and that she willingly slept with evil Cooper so she likely survived the explosion unscathed."

I'd have to go back and review the Doc Hayward scene, but my impression was that Doppel Cooper raped Audrey in the hospital while she was still in a coma.

But I agree that she snapped out of the coma in her final scene. I think the Roadhouse scenes are a case where sometimes we see the "real" events as they unfold in Twin Peaks and sometimes we see what is in Audrey's mind.

Though it's interesting, I think a clue is in the name "Bang Bang Bar." When Audrey went into the coma after the bank explosion, the Roadhouse was simply that, no Bang Bang Bar on the outside. So how could she know to incorporate that new name in her coma state?

For me, the only nut I haven't been able to crack and item that didn't have a lot of subtext going on was the FBI stuff. I guess it had to be kind of literal to sort of get us to where we wanted to go, but there's still 4th wall breaks such as Lynch's character imagining himself in France with an actress having a coffee next to where an actual Lynch exhibition was, similar to the 4th wall break at the very end of the show when the actual homeowner of Laura's house in real life meets Cooper and "Laura"

When you think about it, the FBI didn't really do much of anything. It appears the Tammy Preston character was there to allow us to be informed of what was going on as things were explained to her by Gordon and Albert.

But let's review: Gordon Cole has been informed Cooper has been found. He goes to meet Cooper, knows something is wrong. Then what? Not much of anything really. He eventually gets a call from the good Dale and rushes to meet him at the Twin Peaks Sheriff station, before disappearing at the curtain call.

Now I loved the series from start to finish, don't get me wrong. But if I try to pin this thing down or that, it always gets a bit murky and . . . well, dreamlike.

Intended in full by Mr Lynch no doubt.

The reason I don't believe Audrey is in a coma is because I believe that's Billy in the prison cell and there's people talking about him at the bar which is clearly real since James went there. Billy can't be both a real life entity and something that merely exists in Audrey's head.

Makes it more likely it's a mental ward than an actual hospital. I don't think the coma theories are out of line though as it's the unintended consequence of that damn bank explosion from Season 2.

The reason I don't believe Audrey is in a coma is because I believe that's Billy in the prison cell and there's people talking about him at the bar which is clearly real since James went there. Billy can't be both a real life entity and something that merely exists in Audrey's head.

Makes it more likely it's a mental ward than an actual hospital. I don't think the coma theories are out of line though as it's the unintended consequence of that damn bank explosion from Season 2.

I don't recall if Frosts book says that Audrey is in a coma, I'll have to look it up later. But Doc Hayward said so, so that's what I'm going on.

But no matter where she wakes up, presumably she has awakened from a comatose state.

As far as Billy being "real" while simultaneously "in Audrey's head" . . . I don't see any reason why that isn't possible. Perhaps i'm just not understanding what you're saying here. I mean, we dream about real people all the time in our lives, yes? The people in our dreams exist outside of our mind, but in our dreams these people are subject to whatever shenanigans our subconscious wants to dump on us.

I'm going to go back and binge the entire series soon. When the Audrey scenes finally pop up I think there is plenty to sort through in the conversation with her "husband" to help us get a clue as to what's going. Well, we'll see.

TP's season 3 is finally available for pre-order.

Here are the extras in the limited box set:

IMPRESSIONS: A Journey Behind the Scenes of Twin Peaks
The Man with the Grey Elevated Hair (29:40)
Tell it Martin (29:08)
Two Blue Balls (24:14)
The Number of Completion (29:17)
Bad Binoculars (28:08)
See You on the Other Side Dear Friend (30:00)
Do Not Pick Up Hitchhikers (26:44)
A Bloody Finger in Your Mouth (26:49)
The Polish Accountant (28:05)
A Pot of Boiling Oil (38:32)
Phenomenon
Part 1: Creation (4:40)
Part 2: Life After Death (4:50)
Part 3: Renaissance (4:50)
Behind-the-scenes Photo Gallery
Rancho Rosa Logos (2:25)
San Diego Comic-Con 2017 Twin Peaks Panel (61:26)
David Lynch Produced Promos
Piano (1:02)
Donut :)32)
Woods :)32)
People :)32)
Places :)32)
Albert (1:02)
In – cinema (1:32)

Then for the blu ray exclusive:

A Very Lovely Dream: One Week in Twin Peaks (27:09)
Behind the Red Curtain (29:17)
I Had Bad Milk in Dehradun (28:11)

Can't wait!

Is anyone out there reading The Final Dossier?

I have, but my only issue is with the very first entry.

Let me say first that I love The Final Dossier. It was a much needed dose of TP's for those of us going through withdrawal after Season 3 wrapped up. In fact, I was surprised to see that it even extended the story beyond the series. Well, there are a lot of things to like about it but that's not the reason for my post.

Leo Johnson.

It's the first entry and while Albert's autopsy report is informative and hilarious, I have to say I don't understand why Frost has Earle finishing Leo off with gunshots. It certainly doesn't appear likely from what we see in the episode, where Earle clearly leaves Leo to the mercy of the spider cage. I suppose, Frost is trying to fix the silliness of tarantulas being a threat to Leo, but it only makes it worse when he has Albert write that Earle is too stupid to know that tarantulas aren't lethally poisonous. First off, Earle was brilliant and that particular piece of knowledge about tarantulas is fairly common. Not to mention, even if Earle didn't know this, he surely would have researched it (how long would that take?) before constructing his death-trap-cage. So the whole premise doesn't work for me.

It seems like there would have been a better way to handle Leo's demise. But, does it really matter? No, of course. Just a curiosity at the end of the day.

Kyle Maclachlan lost the Golden Globe to the Jedi Master (boo).

Twin Peaks was snubbed altogether. :down:

I thought GQ summed it up nicely:

Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie: Ewan McGregor, Fargo

Who should have won: Oh my God, Kyle MacLachlan in Twin Peaks. How do you fuck this up? Oh my God.

And this . . .

Ewan McGregor is wonderful in “Fargo” but Kyle MacLachlan was truly next-level in the “Twin Peaks” revival. A really shameful loss. Kevin Jacobsen

I haven't watched Fargo but Travis says, 'well Ewan did play two characters' and I just looked at him for a second like he was nuts and he realized what he'd said and just went, 'oh... Well... Still.' [emoji38]

Back
Top Bottom