Twin Peaks - It Is Happening Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael Cera's scene was great. As was Coop getting used to life in his new home with Naomi Watts.

The show hit the ground running, and has been great in terms of not dipping quality, and varying its style so much episode to episode.

So far my favourite part of the show. There were shades of Eraserhead (especially with Cooper's goofy fall in the beginning and Briggs' floating face), but a lot of it, particularly in the way it was edited and photographed, seemed like new territory for Lynch. Loved it.
I don't know, it seemed straight out of inland empire to me. (and I absolutely loved it.)

Michael Cera's scene was great. As was Coop getting used to life in his new home with Naomi Watts.

The show hit the ground running, and has been great in terms of not dipping quality, and varying its style so much episode to episode.
Right on the money. Each episode has felt very unique (I still think the 3rd episode is the best so far) but the exciting thing is that they're all leading to the same place.

Oh and while Michael Cera's scene dragged on a bit, I'll take it over half of season 2 any day.

David Duchovny showing up just made my whole day.

Episode 3 was WTF in terms of nightmare fuel.

Epidose 4 was WTF in terms of LOL I LOVE IT.

Although I still find Lucy and Andy to be completely irritating.

I'm still on my first run through Season 2 (about two thirds of the way there) and my solution to this point has been skipping anything to do with James, Andy/Lucy/Dick, and Nadine.

I'm still on my first run through Season 2 (about two thirds of the way there) and my solution to this point has been skipping anything to do with James, Andy/Lucy/Dick, and Nadine.
That's correct, and soon you'll do the same with the Andrew Packard storyline.

I was told a long time ago, and I'm not entirely sure if its validity, that the network forced them to reveal Laura's killer earlier than they wanted and that they planned on dragging it out until the end of the season. Then they would have made season 3 more about Wyndham Earle. I've never been able to find documentation on it. Plus, Lynch and Frost stepped away to work on other projects.

This is why I'm so excited for the rest of this season. Lynch and Frost wrote/directed each episode.

Eh, having scenes drag out for comedy's sake has always been part of the show...such as Lynch's long scene with a slow old man to start Season 2 and his long scene with a slow old man at the end of Season 2. It's funny. And the Cera shit was gold because it was a lot of nice absurdist humor. :up:

Having done a massive rewatch starting a few weeks before the new series premiered, I definitely didn't even like the Windom Earle stuff the second time around as it all felt rather cartoony. Basically, Season 2 is just as strong as the first through the reveal and death of Laura's killer...then it only really picks up with the still phenomenal season finale (arguably the show's best episode) and the handful of story elements before that leading up to the Black Lodge (such as the cave stuff).

Everything else from the second half of Season 2 can be thrown into the trash, really, but it was still done a cut above anything else on television at the time so I don't really get why people in love with the show's artistry decided to bail. I will say that another reason that I don't buy the "last third of Season 2 returning to form" argument is that while the episodes might not have the embarrassing sub-plots that came in the middle of the season, they're actually on a lower level overall in terms of direction and technical craft compared to those, making them just as unrewarding for me.

Overall, the back half of Season 2 doesn't matter at this point. The show gave us about 20 straight hours of the best television ever made and now we're getting 18 more. :up:

Ha!

I'm getting a little tired of the Dougie thing. I like the reminders of his past life creeping into his conscious, but the wife/son/boss/everyone around him just reacting to him like he's just a bit odder than usual, instead of realizing it's a completely different person is too much. I hope it doesn't drag out too much longer.

Ha!

I'm getting a little tired of the Dougie thing. I like the reminders of his past life creeping into his conscious, but the wife/son/boss/everyone around him just reacting to him like he's just a bit odder than usual, instead of realizing it's a completely different person is too much. I hope it doesn't drag out too much longer.

Yeah I'm with you there. Not sure where they are going to go with that but there's obviously a showdown with evil Cooper brewing.

Yeah, most Lynch fans have their heads so far up his ass they can't criticize anything, even something as glaringly exhausting as this storyline.

Yeah, most Lynch fans have their heads so far up his ass they can't criticize anything, even something as glaringly exhausting as this storyline.

I don't know if I'd call it exhausting, more slow moving but I think what he's trying to do is build the story around Evil Coop and the town setting up for Evil Coop to try to kill the real Cooper. We'll see how it all ends. I do agree though that if the real Coop doesn't "wake up" until the final episode, I'll be a bit disappointed.

I'm enjoying it and am thrilled it's back, but I'm tempted to cancel Showtime for now and then pick it up when the season is almost done and catch up in time to watch the last ep or two live.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's not even halfway through the season yet. And the last episode saw lot of plot development and Cooper is slowly but surely waking up. I think it will turn out well.

From the beginning I was onboard despite the glass box and face chewing monster. I was still onboard after the evolution of the arm flesh tree and Cooper in space. And while the Dougie thing is getting old, there's enough classic TP humor to keep me waiting patiently for the real Dale Cooper's return. But after tonight's episode . . . I don't know man. That was seriously disappointing and frustrating - especially with no new episode next week. I don't think I can take another episode like that one. Please get back to and stay with our beloved TP characters pronto.

The best kind of divisive hyperbole is popping up because of this episode and I love it. It's either being labeled a groundbreaking work of art or absolute garbage, which is the range of reactions I would hope an auteur like Lynch would be aiming for at this point in his career. What does he have to lose?

I fucking loved the episode because, for me, it was fun to watch. I found the set design enthralling, the choice of music potent (The Platters an Krzysztof Penderecki in the same episode!), the cinematography rich and alive, the suspense gripping and some of the images absolutely terrifying. This was among of the most upsetting hours of film that Lynch has ever strung together and it was shown on TV, during primetime. What a time to be alive.

But I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people watched it and thought it was trash. That's OK. Who cares, honestly?

Last edited:
and it was shown on TV, during primetime. What a time to be alive.

This distinction doesn't really mean as much when we're not talking about major network TV.

Showtime is something you pay to have, you select the show to watch specifically from a guide, etc. It's not like this was unleashed on an unsuspecting public or casual viewer.

The best kind of divisive hyperbole is popping up because of this episode and I love it. It's either being labeled a groundbreaking work of art or absolute garbage, which is the range of reactions I would hope an auteur like Lynch would be aiming for at this point in his career. What does he have to lose?

I fucking loved the episode because, for me, it was fun to watch. I found the set design enthralling, the choice of music potent (The Platters an Krzysztof Penderecki in the same episode!), the cinematography rich and alive, the suspense gripping and some of the images absolutely terrifying. This was among of the most upsetting hours of film that Lynch has ever strung together and it was shown on TV, during primetime. What a time to be alive.

But I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people watched it and thought it was trash. That's OK. Who cares, honestly?

Agreed with everything you said. That was the most visually stunning thing I've watched on a TV series ever. Even topped the beginning of episode 3, which I put at the top of my favorite Twin Peaks moments. I love how a lot of it coincides with items from the book that Mark Frost just released too. They're definitely going with a more global perspective this time around, which I really appreciate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom