Twin Peaks - It Is Happening Again - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,422
Local Time: 11:47 AM
Pretty pumped about the finale, yo
__________________

__________________
Catman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #152
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,662
Local Time: 12:47 PM
The fuck did I just watch?
__________________

__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #153
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,382
Local Time: 09:47 AM
LOL, same.
__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #154
The Fly
 
Mac_Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 196
Local Time: 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
The fuck did I just watch?
It went pretty much as I expected -- painting a very broad stroke:

The first hour to wrap up the Bad Coop story.

The second hour to find Laura.

Lynch didn't disappoint . . . the ending leaves us hanging and clawing into past episodes endlessly to find resolution.

Here's hoping for a Season 4.
__________________
Mac_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,422
Local Time: 11:47 AM
I was actually pretty intrigued by the sudden turn of events (ep.17 hit a lot of the right notes for me), but whhyyyyy did they decide *that* was the right way to end the show (were there any expectations for a 4th season?)... Perhaps I was a tad naive to expect more answers than to receive exponentially more questions lol.
I dunno--it kinda felt like this should've been the halfway (maaaybe 3/4) mark of the season, because right now I'm just wondering what the point was for much of the season (e.g. Audrey Horne)
__________________
Catman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #156
The Fly
 
Mac_Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 196
Local Time: 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
IPerhaps I was a tad naive to expect more answers than to receive exponentially more questions lol.

I dunno--it kinda felt like this should've been the halfway (maaaybe 3/4) mark of the season, because right now I'm just wondering what the point was for much of the season (e.g. Audrey Horne)
It wouldn't be Lynch/Frost if we didn't have questions at the end. Personally, I'd have been pretty disappointed if the last scene was everyone having a love fest at the Twin Peaks Sheriff station with everyone having coffee and pie.

Audrey's story might have been nothing more than this: she was raped by bad Coop while in a coma and has been living in a mental hell -- until the last episode when she snapped out of it.

I'm more intrigued with Shelly and her situation -- the mysterious coin flipping boyfriend and her daughter's fate (is she alive or dead?).

We probably won't get a Season 4, but Lynch and Frost left plenty on the table just in case they -- and Showtime -- are interested.

I certainly am.
__________________
Mac_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:05 AM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,422
Local Time: 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Fly View Post
It wouldn't be Lynch/Frost if we didn't have questions at the end. Personally, I'd have been pretty disappointed if the last scene was everyone having a love fest at the Twin Peaks Sheriff station with everyone having coffee and pie.
Wait, wait, wait; hold on, now--since when are those two scenarios my only options? ;P I'm not saying the world of Twin Peaks needed to be injected w/ some good ol' fashioned, happy Hollywood ending (pretty sure noone was expecting that to be in the cards), but rather I'm of the opinion that such a late, game-changing plot point might not have, in my opinion, been the most gratifying way to end a series after a 25+ year hiatus. That's not to say I'm not intrigued by what the creators presented--I just wish they found a way to properly explore this new avenue rather than dropping it on us at the very end. Of course, if there is a 4th season, then my criticism is pretty much moot (but I always kinda pegged this season as more of a "one off," where there wasn't any genuine expectation of further episodes to the series).
__________________
Catman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:39 AM   #158
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 12,628
Local Time: 04:47 AM
: - ) All.
__________________
dan_smee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #159
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,640
Local Time: 09:47 AM
I loved the fuck out of that finale. Part 17 was as good as I could have hoped; stylish, frightening, funny, a logical extension of everything the season was building towards. That was an amazing episode. Outside of a lengthy side-road that illuminated the Coop/Diane relationship and gave it a saddening but logical conclusion, Part 18 was spent with the core characters that really mattered throughout this show's history: Coop and Laura. The ending was the kind of glorious mindfuck I expect from Lynch and, yes, it seemed specifically targeted towards those hoping against hope for a season 4.

People are going to be shook over that ending, but hey, the door is wide open for more. I'm more than willing to jump back in.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:24 AM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
djerdap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,420
Local Time: 06:47 PM
Now this was one of more memorable viewing experiences. The reactions to the ending are very much reminiscent of The Sopranos.

By the time Part 17 was finishing, I was frankly mortified by some of the choices Lynch and Frost made. Some of the scenes (the dreadful glove vs. BOB bouncing ball for one) still make me cringe.

But then Part 18 turned some of those choices on its head and the whole thing made - thematic if not narrative - sense. There are some parallels to the original series finale here. The more I think about the ambiguous events in Part 18, the more I like how it ends.

Pretty much the entirety of Part 18 has this feeling that something with our hero's choices - which seemed so naive and well-intended in Part 17 - went very wrong. Even Cooper doesn't quite seem like himself there (he has more mannerisms akin to Evil Coop? - not to mention that Diane covers his face in that weird sex scene).

While he was lost in the Black Lodge in the original series finale, he seems lost now in the "real world" - a world that he somehow helped create but is not nearly what he had in mind. Consequences of trauma are still there and they cannot be so easily dismissed. Cooper tried playing god... and ended up not even knowing what the time is.

The ideas presented are brilliant. It will take a rewatch to see whether the execution of those ideas is just as good. Curious to see how Part 17 will sit with me after that total mindfuck of a finale.
__________________
djerdap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #161
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,774
Local Time: 12:47 PM
What a series! Really don't think we're getting another season. I don't think it was ever in the cards.

I still don't know what to make of Episode 18. I loved it but don't know if we're dealing with an alternate universe or a dream. Or did Cooper save Laura from being killed but we're dealing with some kind of butterfly effect? Can't wait for all the theories to come out.
__________________
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #162
The Fly
 
Mac_Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 196
Local Time: 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
Now this was one of more memorable viewing experiences. The reactions to the ending are very much reminiscent of The Sopranos.

By the time Part 17 was finishing, I was frankly mortified by some of the choices Lynch and Frost made. Some of the scenes (the dreadful glove vs. BOB bouncing ball for one) still make me cringe.

But then Part 18 turned some of those choices on its head and the whole thing made - thematic if not narrative - sense. There are some parallels to the original series finale here. The more I think about the ambiguous events in Part 18, the more I like how it ends.

Pretty much the entirety of Part 18 has this feeling that something with our hero's choices - which seemed so naive and well-intended in Part 17 - went very wrong. Even Cooper doesn't quite seem like himself there (he has more mannerisms akin to Evil Coop? - not to mention that Diane covers his face in that weird sex scene).

While he was lost in the Black Lodge in the original series finale, he seems lost now in the "real world" - a world that he somehow helped create but is not nearly what he had in mind. Consequences of trauma are still there and they cannot be so easily dismissed. Cooper tried playing god... and ended up not even knowing what the time is.

The ideas presented are brilliant. It will take a rewatch to see whether the execution of those ideas is just as good. Curious to see how Part 17 will sit with me after that total mindfuck of a finale.
The Sopranos . . heh. I hadn't even watched the show when it originally aired and when the ending was shown -- the one that got everyone upset with it's ambiguity -- I remember thinking "well it's obvious -- the guy got whacked." I think that ending was brilliant (I've gone back and watched the whole thing) and am amazed that people hate on the choices made.

The bouncing ball fight didn't disturb me that much, but I get your objection. I think if Silva were alive that might have gone down a bit differently, but not a whole lot. There have been allusions to England and the Arthurian legend going back to season 2. With references like Lancelot, Glastonbury, King Arthur, etc., Lynch/Frost obviously needed someone such as Freddy on the scene. The color green is very significant as well.

You didn't ask, but my opinion is that Cooper has been dead the entire time. He died eating a cherry pie at the Lamplighter Inn and what we are seeing is his working through a bardo journey.

Episode 18 seemed more like an epilogue to 17.

If felt right to me. Perfect actually. Cooper's remark at the station -- "I hope to see you all again" -- I think was Lynch/Frost talking to the audience.

Maybe they would love another season. If so, I hope Showtime is willing.
__________________
Mac_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #163
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,640
Local Time: 09:47 AM
The ending is a wonderful illustration of existentialist thought. Some will resent Lynch for using Dale Cooper, one of television's purest and most beloved characters, as an example of human futility, especially after a season of Dougie comically escaping one pitfall after another, but isn't this what the show has always been about? Cooper never could save Laura from her killer, he could only uncover him, and killing him only complicated matters. The present cannot resolve the past, it can only reveal it.

I'm still trying to parse out all the metaphors involved in the sex scene and its entanglement of physical intimacy with the literal/figurative transformation of the self, distrust, and mental association with sexual violence. It was such a profoundly uncomfortable scene.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #164
The Fly
 
Mac_Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 196
Local Time: 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Wait, wait, wait; hold on, now--since when are those two scenarios my only options? ;P I'm not saying the world of Twin Peaks needed to be injected w/ some good ol' fashioned, happy Hollywood ending (pretty sure noone was expecting that to be in the cards), but rather I'm of the opinion that such a late, game-changing plot point might not have, in my opinion, been the most gratifying way to end a series after a 25+ year hiatus. That's not to say I'm not intrigued by what the creators presented--I just wish they found a way to properly explore this new avenue rather than dropping it on us at the very end. Of course, if there is a 4th season, then my criticism is pretty much moot (but I always kinda pegged this season as more of a "one off," where there wasn't any genuine expectation of further episodes to the series).
Sorry. Didn't mean to suggest you had a simple dichotomy in your mind to choose from.

As I mentioned in a previous post. I tend to think of TP's as existing in the mind of Cooper and a reflection of what he has to process -- to "get through" -- in order to move on. In telling such a story, we can draw from it and apply to ourselves if we are insightful and daring enough.

Any medium of art will attract some and distance others. Two artists might be saying the same thing but connect with two entirely different crowds.

I felt right where I should be at the end of this one. Partly resolved, partly unnerved, unsettled but in the best possible way.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the ride too, at least for the most part, but I can certainly understand others out there that couldn't get into it.
__________________
Mac_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #165
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,422
Local Time: 11:47 AM
After having some time to process the ending, I will say that it's growing on me, but I'm still left wanting more. Like, I *really* enjoyed last night's episodes, but moreso as a premise than a conclusion if that makes any sense
__________________

__________________
Catman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com