Twin Peaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1) This is still one of the best shows ever made and probably the biggest leap in television history for a dramatic series. It's often forgotten just how consistently great it was from beginning to end, aside from some really terrible subplots near the end of Season 2. I really can't stand the "it jumped the shark" crowd when the second season up until the murderer reveal is clearly just as strong as the first batch and the main storyline after that only gets more intriguing with the larger introduction of the sci-fi element.

2) Audrey Horne is the hottest character in television history. :drool:

3) I've dreamt of this ever since finishing the series (and Fire Walk With Me) way back in 2006. I always knew it would eventually happen.

4) Don't worry about Kyle's scheduling issues with Agents of Shield. That show reeks of the usual "big in the first season because of name brand recognition, canceled by the end of season two" smell. Its numbers have consistently dropped from the premiere last fall and it will likely be wrapped up by this spring.

there is a six degrees of U2 associated with Twin Peaks

David Lynch, the big cheese, the head honcho in charge of everything used Lykke Li as a female vocalist on "Im Waiting Here"

Lykke Li provides guest vocals for The Troubles

***That is all***

Six degrees of U2 association with Twin Peaks (as opposed to 2):

1) U2 appeared on the television show Conan O'Brien which is hosted by Conan O'Brien, who was a writer for...
2) The Simpsons, one prominent voice actor of which is Hank Azaria, who appeared on the television show...
3) Huff with Oliver Platt, who appeared in the film...
4) Flatliners with Keifer Sutherland who starred on the show...
5) 24, which featured the guest actor Dennis Hopper in season one. Dennis Hopper, was the star of the film...
6) Blue Velvet, which was directed by...David Lynch.

Three steps:

1. Bono helped write the screenplay for Million Dollar Hotel, which was directed by Wim Wenders.

2. Wim Wenders directed Paris, Texas, starring Harry Dean Stanton.

3. Harry Dean Stanton had a significant role in The Straight Story, which was directed by David Lynch.

1. David Lynch is the cousin of Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch.

2. Marshawn Lynch is coached by Pete Carroll, who is a 9/11 truther.

3. Is Bono okay?

David was Lynched.

Bono was raped by wolves.

:sad:

oboy.gif

I've been rewatching this for the last few days, on the second episode of Season 2 now. Haven't seen it in like 20 years.

I think BigMacPhisto is right; Audrey Horne may very well be the hottest character ever. Dear lord.

Some of the humor in TP really doesn't work for me. Much of it does, but I find the Log Lady to just be completely boring and not funny at all.

The actor who plays Bobby is pretty awful.

None of the characters who are supposed to be in high school come close to pulling off someone that young.

I've been rewatching this for the last few days, on the second episode of Season 2 now. Haven't seen it in like 20 years.

I think BigMacPhisto is right; Audrey Horne may very well be the hottest character ever. Dear lord.

Some of the humor in TP really doesn't work for me. Much of it does, but I find the Log Lady to just be completely boring and not funny at all.

The actor who plays Bobby is pretty awful.

None of the characters who are supposed to be in high school come close to pulling off someone that young.

I really miss the Invitation to Love show-within-the-show gag in Season 2. Either way, too-old high schoolers fits within the soap opera milieu of the show and worked to its advantage. Bobby makes a big leap in S2 to not being annoying and James is just... oh boy.

What's your opinion on Fire Walk with Me? Will you be revisiting that as well?

What's your opinion on Fire Walk with Me? Will you be revisiting that as well?

I think it's an indulgent wank, and having a bunch of cool scenes doesn't equal a good film. But I feel the same way about Lost Highway. Mulholland Dr, on the other hand, rises above that to become something truly great.

I think FWWM actually weakened the property more than elevated it. And I know several fans of the show who don't care for it.

FWWM was nearly unwatchable for me. I didn't even get the camp value out of it that Dune possessed. Just a dull, violent, charmless mess that added little to nothing of value to the storyline.

The soundtrack was killer at least.

The Alamo recently did a Lynch retro over the course of two months, and man, I was really taken by Fire Walk with Me. Watched it twice, I think it may be his masterpiece. Surprisingly, a lot of that audience felt similarly -- time may be beginning to vindicate it. The way that it takes the mythology of the series, particularly the "possession" of Leland by BOB and turns it into a more profoundly unsettling narrative, is Lynch at his most noir. The movie opens with an axe through a television for crying out loud. There's too much tenderness and affection for Laura that keeps it from being wholly mean-spirited, even as depraved as the Pink Room, BOB/Leland encounter, and final murder scenes get. That shit is harrowing, but it's ultimately transcendent.

Lost Highway has the marks of a transition film. The bits where Pullman gets lost in the darkness of his own apartment turn up again in a more potent form in Inland Empire.

I was reading this part-bio/part-film analysis text Beautiful Dark during most of that Lynch series and it's fantastic. If you would like a .pdf, let me know.

I will always support Lost Highway. It had a profound immediate effect on me and I've been wanting to give it a rewatch after indulging in fan theories after the first viewing.

Patricia Arquette walking out of the car to Lou Reed's "This Magic Moment" must've given Wes Anderson a boner.

But really Laz, I'd recommend giving FWWM another shot. Same with Inland Empire; I thought it covered similar ground to Mulholland Dr. and discounted it at first. It's a fucking trip.

My Lynch Power Rankings (not having seen The Straight Story):

1. Inland Empire
2. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
3. Mulholland Dr.
4. Blue Velvet
5. Wild at Heart
6. Eraserhead
7. The Twin Peaks pilot
8. The Elephant Man
9. Lost Highway
10. Dune

And I still love Dune.

Three steps:

1. Bono helped write the screenplay for Million Dollar Hotel, which was directed by Wim Wenders.

2. Wim Wenders directed Paris, Texas, starring Harry Dean Stanton.

3. Harry Dean Stanton had a significant role in The Straight Story, which was directed by David Lynch.

Harry Dean Stanton was also in Twin Peaks, in FWWM.

FWWM was nearly unwatchable for me. I didn't even get the camp value out of it that Dune possessed. Just a dull, violent, charmless mess that added little to nothing of value to the storyline.

The soundtrack was killer at least.

Really? I love FWWM, it should really be viewed as a a horror film, because essentially that's what it is. It was always the horror angle and disturbing nature of Twin Peaks that attracted me anyway, and of course the film has that in abundance.
Plus Sheryl Lee's performance was phenomemal, should have had an Oscar nomination.
Have you seen the edition that came out earlier this year with 60mins or more deleted scenes added? They include loads of the more popular characters who were edited out of the final version.
Mark Kermode puts it way better than I ever could if you have a spare couple of minutes.

Kermode Uncut: Film Club - Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - YouTube

(not having seen The Straight Story):

Man, go see this now. The setting and color palette feels part of a different world altogether, but the small-town weirdos of that film are his through and through. A great gateway drug into the world of Lynch.

Eraserhead, Elephant Man and Twin Peaks are my favorites of his. And just about everyone else.

Man, go see this now. The setting and color palette feels part of a different world altogether, but the small-town weirdos of that film are his through and through. A great gateway drug into the world of Lynch.

Eraserhead, Elephant Man and Twin Peaks are my favorites of his. And just about everyone else.

Really bummed I missed it in 35mm since the DVD release is pretty poor. Oh well, less a gateway drug than finishing out a prescription at this point.

Last I'll mention it, but Inland Empire though.

I will always support Lost Highway. It had a profound immediate effect on me and I've been wanting to give it a rewatch after indulging in fan theories after the first viewing.

The fan theories are a joke; trying to make sense out of things that are simply weird ideas Lynch thought of and masturbatory fantasies. They made me hate the film even more.

LMP;7862930 But really Laz said:
Inland Empire[/B]; I thought it covered similar ground to Mulholland Dr. and discounted it at first. It's a fucking trip.

My Lynch Power Rankings (not having seen The Straight Story):

1. Inland Empire
2. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
3. Mulholland Dr.
4. Blue Velvet
5. Wild at Heart
6. Eraserhead
7. The Twin Peaks pilot
8. The Elephant Man
9. Lost Highway
10. Dune

And I still love Dune.

I saw FWWM when it came out, and again a few years ago with a friend who had just finished watching the series. I still thought it was bad, and my friend didn't like it either.

Only got about an hour into Inland Empire before giving up, but I own it and will try again at some point.

Odd that you include the Twin Peaks pilot; why not rank the finale as well?

The pilot is feature-length and fits nicely with the rest of his work. My favorite Lynch episode is the conclusion to the Laura Palmer story in Season 2, then the finale.

As far as ephemera, Industrial Symphony No. 1 is a neat performance art bridge between Wild at Heart and Twin Peaks. Lynch/Badalamenti/Julie Cruise team up for a break-up story that has emotional & physical trauma are at the forefront... along with a Skinned Dear Monster being chased by the Black Lodge Dwarf. Shit gets bonkers. "Rockin' Back Inside My Heart" got re-used in one of the Cruise bar scenes in Twin Peaks.

Speaking of music, this is essential viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgXLEM8MhJo

It's bizarre. I know I'm in the minority who hold Fire Walk with Me in high esteem, but the major audience I saw it with a few months back were also super into it. That's Austin for you.

I know FWWM was lambasted in equal measure by both fans and critics, but it remains one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen.

Art works centrally through its ability to affect. It's separated from shock (pseudo) art through its ability to incite reflection. FWWM shoves you head first into a world of torment - the destruction of the self orchestrated by the horrors of incest. This psychological POV is a technique Lynch is a master of, and he's never used it to better effect than in FWWM.

There's this great piece which pretty much covers why this movie affected me so strongly:

John Kenneth Muir's Reflections on Cult Movies and Classic TV: CULT MOVIE REVIEW: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)

If the movie feels like a case of cocaine-induced paranoia, that is likely intentional. Because Laura is indeed experiencing a cocaine-induced paranoia throughout much of the movie. She's a junkie (and the film depicts Laura snorting coke on several occasions; as well as participating in a drug deal gone wrong.) Thus the film's lurid, jittery, unpleasant shape perfectly reflects the piece's content. We seem to be viewing the film from inside a drug fever.

A history and pattern of incest leads to self-destructive behavior on the part of the victim. It leads to the destruction of -- and disassociation from -- the healthy ego. This is also evident in Fire Walk with Me. "Your Laura disappeared," Laura informs James blankly, feeling unworthy and undeserved of his authentic, romantic love. "It's just me now," she explains, feeling ashamed and guilty over her behavior.

At one point, late in the film, even Laura's guardian angel seems to abandon her, vanishing from a painting in her bedroom. It's thus clear that Laura blames herself for her father's behavior, and consequently that she views herself as ugly and corrupted. She isn't the golden girl anymore, she's tarnished.

Those who endure incest and sexual abuse also, over time, may experience night terrors, hallucinations or insomnia. Laura is not immune from these symptoms either. She lives through terrifying nightmares, especially ones that involve a creepy painting. On that painting is rendered a half-open door; and in Laura's dream she mindlessly treads though that door into the evil world of the Black Lodge. A place were "garmonbozia" (pain and suffering) is eaten like creamed corn, and her suffering will provide a feast. She is, literally, the Devil's candy. And she knows it.

It's bizarre. I know I'm in the minority who hold Fire Walk with Me in high esteem, but the major audience I saw it with a few months back were also super into it. That's Austin for you.

Saw this after posting, glad to know there's some love for FWWM over here. :up:

I know FWWM was lambasted in equal measure by both fans and critics, but it remains one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen.

Art works centrally through its ability to affect. It's separated from shock (pseudo) art through its ability to incite reflection. FWWM shoves you head first into a world of torment - the destruction of the self orchestrated by the horrors of incest. This psychological POV is a technique Lynch is a master of, and he's never used it to better effect than in FWWM.

There's this great piece which pretty much covers why this movie affected me so strongly:

John Kenneth Muir's Reflections on Cult Movies and Classic TV: CULT MOVIE REVIEW: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)

That's a wonderful piece. I dig Alex Pappademas' take as well.

Saw this after posting, glad to know there's some love for FWWM over here. :up:

Likewise. :up:

Straight Story is one of my top 10 films of all time. Beautifully shot and achingly sad. So much dignity, restraint and love in Richard Farnsworth's performance. So tragic, that he killed himself not long after the film came out.

The film contains possibly my favourite scene in any film. It's the part where Alvis is at a bar with one of the kind strangers he meets along the way and he tells the story about accidentally killing one of his own men in world war 2, a story he never before told anyone. The scene fades as we see Alvin's eyes begin to well up, then we immediately see Alvin sitting outside many hours later, his eyes still achingly lonely as he stares up to the night sky which is full of stars and a particuarly beautifull piece of Badalamenti music plays in the background.

Nothing comes close to touching Blue Velvet, for me, but then I think that some days I'd hazard to say that Inland Empire is my second or third favorite film of his, depending on my mood towards Elephant Man at the particular moment.

Inland Empire is his masterpiece and better at catching the vibe of Twin Peaks than Fire Walk With Me (which is perfectly great in its own right).

I don't remember a single frame of Lost Highway and Wild At Heart is no classic, so one of those is his most overrated. Dune flat out blows.

Back
Top Bottom