Twin Peaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
twin3.jpg

Ohhhhhh!

Mairsy doates and dosey doates
and little lambsy divey!

Twin Peaks ruled.

Pity about the shitty second season. (save for the series finale, which freaked my shit RIGHT OUT.)

i would say that the 2nd season only suffered from a bad 4-5 episodes in a row. i thought the 2nd season was pretty strong all the way up to when they revealed who Laura's killer was, and then it seemed like they just didn't have any big storyline to keep the viewers hooked. with that said, yes, i thought the last 3 episodes were gold.

i really wish there had been a 3rd season, all directed by Lynch.

also, i'm still holding out hope that David Lynch will decide to make another movie about the series. i've always imagined a movie called "Cooper", staring Kyle McLauchlan where it's 20 years later, and when Agent Cooper returns from Philly to Twin Peaks to say hello to some old friends, the same shit starts happening.

Wait ... I thought they revealed Laura's killer in the first season! Wasn't
Leland's death
at the end of the first season? After
he was revealed to have killed her in the guise of Bob?

Wait ... I thought they revealed Laura's killer in the first season! Wasn't
Leland's death
at the end of the first season? After
he was revealed to have killed her in the guise of Bob?

no, the 1st season ended with Cooper gettng shot at his hotel room. they actually don't reveal the killer until about the 7th or 8th episode into the 2nd season. Lynch said that the network was putting pressure on him to reveal the killer. he actually wanted to stretch the storyline out until the 3rd season.

Dang, I guess it's time for me to rewatch the whole thing, since clearly I have a skewed memory of season 2!

Dang, I guess it's time for me to rewatch the whole thing, since clearly I have a skewed memory of season 2!

i bought the Gold Edition a couple years ago. it's nice to see a high quality version of the 2nd season. it's probably been about 2 years since i watched the whole series, but i found myself enjoying the 2nd season more than thought i would. :up:

Man I love and adore this show :drool: Even though it put a fear of red curtains into me for life.

I quite like the second season, despite the fact that it does go off the rails a bit once Laura's murder mystery is solved. And yes, the final episode freaked me out bad.

The series finale was excellent but the pilot to me was without a doubt the greatest first episode of any series. There was no learning curve. The show was perfect from the start. :up:

Also, I don't know if anyone agrees but I thought the movie was better than the series and I consider the series one of the best. :up:

The series finale was excellent but the pilot to me was without a doubt the greatest first episode of any series. There was no learning curve. The show was perfect from the start. :up:

Also, I don't know if anyone agrees but I thought the movie was better than the series and I consider the series one of the best. :up:

i really enjoyed the movie. that one scene with Cooper running back and forth between the surveillance camera and the screen was pretty great!

and yes, the pilot is just wonderful. i don't know that a pilot like that would have success these days. every show is so catered to ADD now.

:yikes: DO NOT WANT!

It's nifty living in the area where they filmed so much of the exterior stuff. I go to Snoqualmie Falls about once every year or so, and one of these times, I'll start singing the theme song really loudly.

And then go eat at Tweed's Pies ... although I think it's called something else now.

I will never forget watching that pilot with my parents and how blown away all of us were. I watched the entire series as it aired, and revisited it for the first time about 2 years ago. I look forward to a 3rd viewing down the road.

That was a great article and I completely agree with it. Twin Peaks represented a huge shift where the best writing stopped being in film and moved to television. It opened the doors for unique shows and showed that networks had underestimated the tastes of viewers. Without it I don't think many of the best shows of the last twenty years exist. :up:

Just going to go ahead and bump this thread instead of "derailing" the TV talk thread.

Also, i'm still holding out hope that David Lynch will decide to make another movie about the series. i've always imagined a movie called "Cooper", staring Kyle McLauchlan where it's 20 years later, and when Agent Cooper returns from Philly to Twin Peaks to say hello to some old friends, the same shit starts happening.

Hey, Laura does say that she'll see him again in 25 years.
i enjoy Major Briggs.

He was such an amazing character. In the beginning, he seemed so unimportant, but he then you have the talk he gives his son in the diner about being proud of him, and I knew then that he was quite an actor. Then he really was given his time to shine in the White Lodge plot, and the last episode or two, he definitely blew me away.

FWWM has some of the most hideous dialogue in the whole series. It's like the most painful parts of the series with nothing to redeem it. Dear Lord, "Night time is my time" made me momentarily sympathetic for Bob. "Everything we have is everything" (or whatever) was even more absurd and useless. And then there's the intoxicated exchanges with Jacques...God, that scene felt like the worst moments of The Doors movie jammed into 10 minutes.

Not only is the dialogue hideous, but the acting is even worse. Sheryl Lee was supposed to be good in this, but she's generally over the top. The scenes with Donna are handled well. Four words sum up her acting nicely: "I LOVEEEEEE YOOUUUU JAYYYYMMESZZZZZ!!!a!1q!!?1!!!"

Leland however is, as always, a menacing and broken man, easily my favorite part of this mess. Otherwise, it's just really off. Sarah is bad, all the kids are bad (nothing new about that), and anything implied to be supernatural feels stiff and absurd rather than etheral.

The actual black lodge sequences, however, are brilliant as always, and I felt like anything with Bob was pretty nice. The problem is that there was no strong character at its center to anchor the film as we waded through those scenes, and little actual case to juxtapose them (there actually was, but the dearth of FBI scenes made it appear as if there wasn't), so we're left to join Lynch in his journey up shit creek without a paddle.

So, that added nothing of significance to the show (Annie showed up to say hi, but the end of season 2 is generally left untouched), and it actually convoluted things to no real benefit (I have even less of an idea where Cooper fits into this web, especially since the Lodges occupy a world outside of time and he was in every black lodge sequence), so I have no idea why anyone would watch this beyond experiencing a sense of completion. Sub-par acting, sub-par dialogue, pacing that slowly got worse as it proceeded, and emphasis on the wrong characters all contribute to this film being unnecessary in the context of the show and poor on its own merits.

The show is still astounding though.

The biggest problem I have is that I can hardly even consider this film canon. Did they ever once mention half of the things that happen with Coop in this film on the show? Missing FBI Agent, Coop dreaming about all of this before he ever gets to Twin Peaks, the Ghost of David Bowie, Bobby killing a guy (nothing to do with Coop, but seriously when the fuck was that mentioned?). It just seems like they added a web of events that never appeared to exist in the first place.

The film isn't a cash-grab, but a shark-jump, in my opinion. For whatever reason Lynch wasn't able to let the story go, and the whole thing winds up being totally arbitrary.

It's funny how much shit George Lucas gets for "ruining" his baby, but in my opinion what Lynch did here is even worse, because in addition to being misguided at times, its greater crime is that ultimately it's pointless and adds nothing to what came before.

There were a FEW things I really liked. I liked that the conversation about falling forever and angels actually served a bit of a purpose towards the end of the film, because the conversation at first came off as a bit asinine, but ended up being my favorite part, probably.

What really confused me though, and did for a while on the show as well, is, if Bob is the spirit possessing Leland, who is possessing the one-armed man? This movie possibly answered that question? But I'm even more confused now, because...towards the end of the show, I began to get the impression, which is even further supported here, that the dwarf is evil. The film gave me the feeling that the dwarf is the spirit possessing the one-armed man. Now, am I forgetting something? Is the spirit possessing the one-armed man evil? I thought he was trying to destroy Bob? Or was he just trying to reign him in? In that case, it makes the whole extreme trust they put in the one-armed man during the ending of the Laura Palmer storyline quite different indeed.

Don't get me wrong, there are parts of the film I like, but as Lance said, one has to view it more as a David Lynch film than Twin Peaks.

Unfortunately, it most resembles Lost Highway, which isn't a good thing.

It makes me feel better about one thing: Lynch's presence on the show would not have inherently saved it. He's just as capable of destroying the show as the executives were.

I still feel as if, with the proper season length, the show could have been trimmed to fit two full, excellent seasons: the Laura Palmer mystery (16 episode season 1), and the Lodges - minus about four episodes of complete bullshit subplots - with the fate of Cooper's soul being resolved (20 or so episode season 2). Then make a movie that didn't have to reference the future and instead focus on Teresa Banks and the FBI's investigation thereof, as well as the fleshing out of Cooper and Laura's backstories. They could have been canceled after that and few would have bitched.

Agreed fully on how those two seasons could've worked out. And hell, at that point, you don't NEED a movie. But if you wanted to do one, great, but it's not necessary.

Seriously though, the stupidest thing's been bugging me about the show since season one. Who the fuck beat up Dr. Jacoby?

EDIT: Oh...
One of the points not explicitly resolved in the series is
who attacked Dr. Jacoby from behind while he was spying on
Maddy (dressed as Laura) in the park.

In the book "Twin Peaks: Behind the Scenes" by Mark Altman
(see question P1), Altman states in a footnote to his
episode 7 synopsis:

"The assailant who attacks Dr. Jacoby was never
revealed on the show, but it was indeed Leland
possessed by BOB, according to Mark Frost. He sees
Maddy leaving the house and follows her. Fearing that
Jacoby is going to attack her, he strikes the doctor
and is forced to leave when James and Donna arrive."

This is also confirmed in episode 10, when Jacoby is
hypnotized by Cooper in order to find out the identity of
the killer of Jacques Renault. Cooper mentions the smell or
scorched oil, which Jacoby had smelled at the hospital. At
the mention of the smell, Jacoby says that he smelled the
oil at the gazebo just before he was attacked. Since we
later learn that the burning smell is associated with
Leland/BOB (see question E34), this is another clue that
Leland/BOB attacked Jacoby.

lazarus said:
Unfortunately, it most resembles Lost Highway, which isn't a good thing.

This movie isn't very good? I've heard mixed reactions. Like it's the Tales From Topographic Oceans of Lynchian wank. I'm still interested in it, although there are other flicks of his that I'm more curious about.

Back
Top Bottom