Twin Peaks - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 06:42 AM
Fantastic read. Thanks for posting the link.

I could watch Audrey do her thing all day:

YouTube - Twin Peaks - "Audrey's Dance"

One of the most haunting scenes I've ever seen. Just the absolute perfect combination of music and visuals:

YouTube - Julee Cruise - The World Spins

Old 03-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:42 PM
I definitely need to watch this again.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #18
has a

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Anyone read Laura Palmer's diary?

Fucked up. And great!

I've got to get back and rewatch this. It has been at least a decade.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 01:42 AM
That was a great article and I completely agree with it. Twin Peaks represented a huge shift where the best writing stopped being in film and moved to television. It opened the doors for unique shows and showed that networks had underestimated the tastes of viewers. Without it I don't think many of the best shows of the last twenty years exist.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Where's Annie?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Just going to go ahead and bump this thread instead of "derailing" the TV talk thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Also, i'm still holding out hope that David Lynch will decide to make another movie about the series. i've always imagined a movie called "Cooper", staring Kyle McLauchlan where it's 20 years later, and when Agent Cooper returns from Philly to Twin Peaks to say hello to some old friends, the same shit starts happening.
Hey, Laura does say that she'll see him again in 25 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
i enjoy Major Briggs.
He was such an amazing character. In the beginning, he seemed so unimportant, but he then you have the talk he gives his son in the diner about being proud of him, and I knew then that he was quite an actor. Then he really was given his time to shine in the White Lodge plot, and the last episode or two, he definitely blew me away.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #22
The Male

FWWM has some of the most hideous dialogue in the whole series. It's like the most painful parts of the series with nothing to redeem it. Dear Lord, "Night time is my time" made me momentarily sympathetic for Bob. "Everything we have is everything" (or whatever) was even more absurd and useless. And then there's the intoxicated exchanges with Jacques...God, that scene felt like the worst moments of The Doors movie jammed into 10 minutes.

Not only is the dialogue hideous, but the acting is even worse. Sheryl Lee was supposed to be good in this, but she's generally over the top. The scenes with Donna are handled well. Four words sum up her acting nicely: "I LOVEEEEEE YOOUUUU JAYYYYMMESZZZZZ!!!a!1q!!?1!!!"

Leland however is, as always, a menacing and broken man, easily my favorite part of this mess. Otherwise, it's just really off. Sarah is bad, all the kids are bad (nothing new about that), and anything implied to be supernatural feels stiff and absurd rather than etheral.

The actual black lodge sequences, however, are brilliant as always, and I felt like anything with Bob was pretty nice. The problem is that there was no strong character at its center to anchor the film as we waded through those scenes, and little actual case to juxtapose them (there actually was, but the dearth of FBI scenes made it appear as if there wasn't), so we're left to join Lynch in his journey up shit creek without a paddle.

So, that added nothing of significance to the show (Annie showed up to say hi, but the end of season 2 is generally left untouched), and it actually convoluted things to no real benefit (I have even less of an idea where Cooper fits into this web, especially since the Lodges occupy a world outside of time and he was in every black lodge sequence), so I have no idea why anyone would watch this beyond experiencing a sense of completion. Sub-par acting, sub-par dialogue, pacing that slowly got worse as it proceeded, and emphasis on the wrong characters all contribute to this film being unnecessary in the context of the show and poor on its own merits.

The show is still astounding though.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Yep, that sounds about right.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

The biggest problem I have is that I can hardly even consider this film canon. Did they ever once mention half of the things that happen with Coop in this film on the show? Missing FBI Agent, Coop dreaming about all of this before he ever gets to Twin Peaks, the Ghost of David Bowie, Bobby killing a guy (nothing to do with Coop, but seriously when the fuck was that mentioned?). It just seems like they added a web of events that never appeared to exist in the first place.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:02 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

The film isn't a cash-grab, but a shark-jump, in my opinion. For whatever reason Lynch wasn't able to let the story go, and the whole thing winds up being totally arbitrary.

It's funny how much shit George Lucas gets for "ruining" his baby, but in my opinion what Lynch did here is even worse, because in addition to being misguided at times, its greater crime is that ultimately it's pointless and adds nothing to what came before.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

There were a FEW things I really liked. I liked that the conversation about falling forever and angels actually served a bit of a purpose towards the end of the film, because the conversation at first came off as a bit asinine, but ended up being my favorite part, probably.

What really confused me though, and did for a while on the show as well, is, if Bob is the spirit possessing Leland, who is possessing the one-armed man? This movie possibly answered that question? But I'm even more confused now, because...towards the end of the show, I began to get the impression, which is even further supported here, that the dwarf is evil. The film gave me the feeling that the dwarf is the spirit possessing the one-armed man. Now, am I forgetting something? Is the spirit possessing the one-armed man evil? I thought he was trying to destroy Bob? Or was he just trying to reign him in? In that case, it makes the whole extreme trust they put in the one-armed man during the ending of the Laura Palmer storyline quite different indeed.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Don't get me wrong, there are parts of the film I like, but as Lance said, one has to view it more as a David Lynch film than Twin Peaks.

Unfortunately, it most resembles Lost Highway, which isn't a good thing.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #28
The Male

It makes me feel better about one thing: Lynch's presence on the show would not have inherently saved it. He's just as capable of destroying the show as the executives were.

I still feel as if, with the proper season length, the show could have been trimmed to fit two full, excellent seasons: the Laura Palmer mystery (16 episode season 1), and the Lodges - minus about four episodes of complete bullshit subplots - with the fate of Cooper's soul being resolved (20 or so episode season 2). Then make a movie that didn't have to reference the future and instead focus on Teresa Banks and the FBI's investigation thereof, as well as the fleshing out of Cooper and Laura's backstories. They could have been canceled after that and few would have bitched.

Now.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Agreed fully on how those two seasons could've worked out. And hell, at that point, you don't NEED a movie. But if you wanted to do one, great, but it's not necessary.

Seriously though, the stupidest thing's been bugging me about the show since season one. Who the fuck beat up Dr. Jacoby?

EDIT: Oh...
Quote:
One of the points not explicitly resolved in the series is
who attacked Dr. Jacoby from behind while he was spying on
Maddy (dressed as Laura) in the park.

In the book "Twin Peaks: Behind the Scenes" by Mark Altman
(see question P1), Altman states in a footnote to his
episode 7 synopsis:

"The assailant who attacks Dr. Jacoby was never
revealed on the show, but it was indeed Leland
possessed by BOB, according to Mark Frost. He sees
Maddy leaving the house and follows her. Fearing that
Jacoby is going to attack her, he strikes the doctor
and is forced to leave when James and Donna arrive."

This is also confirmed in episode 10, when Jacoby is
hypnotized by Cooper in order to find out the identity of
the killer of Jacques Renault. Cooper mentions the smell or
scorched oil, which Jacoby had smelled at the hospital. At
the mention of the smell, Jacoby says that he smelled the
oil at the gazebo just before he was attacked. Since we
later learn that the burning smell is associated with
Leland/BOB (see question E34), this is another clue that
Leland/BOB attacked Jacoby.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #30
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus
Unfortunately, it most resembles Lost Highway, which isn't a good thing.
This movie isn't very good? I've heard mixed reactions. Like it's the Tales From Topographic Oceans of Lynchian wank. I'm still interested in it, although there are other flicks of his that I'm more curious about.

Now.